Book of Psalms for Worship -8a question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wonderkins

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm looking at Psalm 8 for worship this Sunday. Looking at 8a from bopfw, this is what one verse says:

Yet you created him to be
Just less than one divine
You gave him honor as a crown
And made his glory shine

The word "created" in the first line is bothering me. And after looking through many Bible translations, every one of them says "made". I think Youngs says "caused". In my mind that's a different thing. Or at least the word created implies Jesus was created. Am I wrong and the word works, or is this an unfortunate result of needing the metre to work?

I may just use the 1650 split leaf, but I just can't stop wondering. Would anyone else use the bopfw version?

Are they seeing this as applying to man, as opposed to the Son of man?

I think the BoPfw does have some problematic places.

Are they seeing this as applying to man, as opposed to the Son of man?

I think the BoPfw does have some problematic places.
I'm not entirely sure. The very next line says:

You made him ruler of the works
Created by your hand
You placed all things beneath his feet
To be in his command.

Maybe I'm completely wrong. I may have made myself look foolish by thinking it's Jesus being spoken of. Now that I reread Psalm 8 a few times, I may be wrong.

Sometimes I'll use the Crown and Covenant album themes to help in the psalm selection. And this one is under "Messiah".

Wow. The more I think about it, the more I think I was wrong. Ugh. Sometimes my driving gives too much time to over think things.

I suppose this thread should be deleted unless someone sees something.

Well, different commentators have seen it differently, I think… but most Reformed have seen Psalm 8 as speaking of man. And don’t be overly embarrassed, hehe! Oh, if you could only sit as a spectator and see all my brain glitches…

Many probably come to this question, so let’s leave the thread up. It also provides the opportunity to post a wonderful recent sermon on Hebrews 2:5-9, which wonderfully addresses Psalm 8.

tinysa.com/sermon/91822347497437

I'm looking at Psalm 8 for worship this Sunday. Looking at 8a from bopfw, this is what one verse says:

Yet you created him to be
Just less than one divine
You gave him honor as a crown
And made his glory shine

The word "created" in the first line is bothering me. And after looking through many Bible translations, every one of them says "made". I think Youngs says "caused". In my mind that's a different thing. Or at least the word created implies Jesus was created. Am I wrong and the word works, or is this an unfortunate result of needing the metre to work?

I may just use the 1650 split leaf, but I just can't stop wondering. Would anyone else use the bopfw version?
Just to fill in the translation a little for you. I think in this rendition "created" is actually not a translation of the Hebrew for the verb that other translations render "made"; rather, I suspect it is borrowed from the surrounding context, which is full of creational imagery. A more literal translation would be "you caused him to lack little of God/the angels" (depending on how you render 'elohim). In other words, the verb here is not "to create" (bara') or even "to make" ('asah) but "to make less" (piel of chaser). CSB renders it well: "You made him little less than God and crowned him with glory and honor", reflecting on the exalted state of humanity in the beginning, made in the very image of God to rule over creation. In that light, I think you can see where the BoPfW is coming from; it's a dynamic translation rather than strictly literal, but it's not that far away.

Well, different commentators have seen it differently, I think… but most Reformed have seen Psalm 8 as speaking of man. And don’t be overly embarrassed, hehe! Oh, if you could only sit as a spectator and see all my brain glitches…

Many probably come to this question, so let’s leave the thread up. It also provides the opportunity to post a wonderful recent sermon on Hebrews 2:5-9, which wonderfully addresses Psalm 8.

tinysa.com/sermon/91822347497437
Jeri that was an amazing sermon. That really gave me a better picture of psalm 8. I kept thinking of Hebrews but wasn't quite putting it together. It seems so simple but I was messing it up.

Just to fill in the translation a little for you. I think in this rendition "created" is actually not a translation of the Hebrew for the verb that other translations render "made"; rather, I suspect it is borrowed from the surrounding context, which is full of creational imagery. A more literal translation would be "you caused him to lack little of God/the angels" (depending on how you render 'elohim). In other words, the verb here is not "to create" (bara') or even "to make" ('asah) but "to make less" (piel of chaser). CSB renders it well: "You made him little less than God and crowned him with glory and honor", reflecting on the exalted state of humanity in the beginning, made in the very image of God to rule over creation. In that light, I think you can see where the BoPfW is coming from; it's a dynamic translation rather than strictly literal, but it's not that far away.
Thanks for the work of explaining that Iain. I really enjoy singing these psalms. And I like the way most of the bopfw songs are laid out. You've helped put my brain at ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back