Book on the Westminster Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
I'm about to start reading the following book: Theology of the Westminster Symbols: A Commentary Historical, Doctrinal, Practical on the Confession of Faith and Catechisms and the Related Formularies of the Presbyterian Churches by Edward D. Morris (Columbus, Ohio: Smythe, 1900), 858 pages.

All I know about the author, Edward Dafyyd Morris, is his dates (1825-1915) and that, by the time this book was published in 1900, he was Emeritus Professor of Systematic Theology at Lane Theological Seminary. He was also the author of a few other books.

Has anyone read this book or know anything about the author?

Well I did a Google search and nothing came up so I guess that proves that he never existed. ;)

Per Wikipedia, Lane Theological Seminary (Cincinnati, OH) looks to have had an interesting history. Its first president was Lyman Beecher (Second Great Awakening, father of Harriet Beecher Stowe); it became divided early on the question of slavery (the "Lane Rebels" left for Oberlin College in support of abolition); it was around for about 100 years before being absorbed (my word) into McCormick / Chicago around the 1930s.

I haven't done any background work on the author, but I have read the book, and found it to include various historico-theological insights which make it worth the read. But some close discernment is also needed, as he sometimes carries confessional statements in a liberal direction, and can quote authors out of context. To a conservative reformed reader this will become obvious with his treatment of holy Scripture.

I haven't done any background work on the author, but I have read the book, and found it to include various historico-theological insights which make it worth the read. But some close discernment is also needed, as he sometimes carries confessional statements in a liberal direction, and can quote authors out of context. To a conservative reformed reader this will become obvious with his treatment of holy Scripture.

Thanks for the heads-up, Matthew. I'll be on the lookout for those liberal tweakings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back