Book Recommendation Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

soakland

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello -

Can anyone recommend the best book on Reformed AND Puritan history? I prefer one which focus on doctrine, but am open. I see many that cover one or the other but not one that combines the entire period. I was thinking of The Christian Tradition: A History of the Development of Doctrine, Vol. 4: Reformation of Church and Dogma (1300-1700). Or is it better to go with D'Aubigne or Wyrie"s work?

Thanks,
Scott

Books by Knappen are pretty good. You should be able to find them on Amazon. Neal's History of the Puritans(5 Vol) is good and the 3 vol edition is still in print. Brooks Lives of the Puritans is very good but rather hagiographical. Christopher Hill has written quite a few books on the Puritans but his Left-wing political beliefs intrudes in his work.

Any thoughts on D'Aubigne's work? The copy from American Vision looks like a high quality reprint.

another thought on this

Thanks gentlemen. Has anyone read "Christ's Churches Purely Reformed" and might this fit the bill?

Scott

Puritan Reformed Spirituality by Joel Beeke might be something to think about. I don't know if it's the best, but certainly very helpful in the general theme of history, doctrine, and spiritual life. Also in that general category, J.I. Packer's A Quest for Godliness might be something to look into.

I second Beeke's book! Excellent work

Thanks for the tip,I just ordered Beeke's book from ebay 7 bucks whoo hoo!
He's coming, if the Lord wills,to our church for next years ministry conference

Any thoughts on D'Aubigne's work? The copy from American Vision looks like a high quality reprint.

I greatly benefited from his work on the Reformation. He hails from that era of historiography before it became fashionable to snicker at men of God and discount the acts of God.

If someone wants to focus on the Puritans, history and biography, I would suggest that you include the following:

Beeke, Meet the Puritans
Coffey and Lim, The Cambridge Companion to Puritanism
Lewis, The Genius of Puritanism
Hulse, Who are the Puritans?
Kapic and Gleason, The Devoted Life
Martin, A Guide to the Puritans
McMahon, The Writings of a Puritan's Mind
Packer, A Quest for Godliness
Ryken, Worldly Saints

And, though he comes decades after the Puritans, Jonathan Edwards is important so read the historical work by Marsden, Jonathan Edwards: A Life.

The two books that come to mind are TM Lindsay's book "The Reformation: A Handbook" of which Spurgeon says,
". . a condensed, scholarly account of the religious upheaval of the sixteenth century. Where d’Aubigne would be too bulky, this volume will be acceptable, and the condensation is not a mutilation. The chapter on the principles of the Reformation, and the chronological summary at the end, are v ery valuable features of the book. It has our heartiest commendation. — C.H. SPURGEON" (quote from mongerismbooks.com)

Also Lloyd-Jones book "The Puritans: Their Origins and Successors".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back