Book Recommendations on Covenant Theology

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristianHedonist

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi all, I am taking a class this semester on Biblical covenants, and one of my text books for the class is Michael Horton's God of Promise.

What other books would you all recommend for further study of covenant theology, and what book would you recommend starting with? I'd like to start with a book that sums up historical reformed covenant theology and covers the three covenants (Redemption, Works, and Grace). Would The Economy of the Covenants Between God and Man by Herman Witsius be the best for this, or is there something better to start with?

Following that, I'm interested in reading some further developments throughout the history of the reformed faith on covenant theology, including learning about specific streams of thought within covenant theology from the likes of Kline, Murray, and any others you might recommend. What further books would you all recommend for this purpose?

Thanks.

Thanks for the recommendations so far. Just to clarify, besides book recommendations, I'm specifically looking for THE book to start with for an in-depth yet broad historical treatment of reformed covenant theology. For example, I'd like to see a fuller treatment of the doctrine found in the Westminster Confession chapter 7 and I'd like to understand how covenant theology developed, starting with the reformers.

I tend to think of O. Palmer Robertson's Christ of the Covenants as the standard work, at least when trying to broaden a congregation's understanding on the topic. I've also known Mr. Robertson to be very much respected by several pastors with an excellent theological background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back