Book recommendations on Homiletics

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr_parsley

Puritan Board Freshman
I've been asked to do some training for local pastors on homiletics. The current level of the trainees is: Start to think about what they're going to say once they've stood up to preach and then ramble on (in shouting voice).

Book recommendations for me to develop training material?

Preachers and Preaching by Lloyd Jones
Biblical Preaching by Haddon Robinson
Christ Centered Preaching by Chapell

"Lectures To My Students" has some good stuff in it but it, especially his thoughts on illustrations. Also, "The Art of Prophecying" is great on applications.

Preaching with Confidence: A Theological Essay on the Power of the Pulpit by James Daane. The subtitle says it all. The practical stuff near the end (last 2 chapters) isn't as valuable as the rest of it (In my humble opinion).

Preaching the Whole Bible As Christian Scripture: The Application of Biblical Theology to Expository Preaching by Graeme Goldsworthy. This is more about interpretation/exegesis than preaching, but a good book nonetheless that was influential on me.

I would add to the good recommendations above a study of the theology of Al Martin's preaching entitled "My Heart for Thy Cause" by Brian Borgman (ISBN 1857927168).

Given the description you provided, I would esp. commend Chapell's Christ Centered Preaching. The title gives away his main point, but his secondary theme is preaching with structure that allows the hearers to track with the message. The book then instructs in how to construct such a sermon.

Two awesome books I'm reading on the subject are Dennis Johnson's book Him We Proclaim - Preaching from All the Scriptures, a simply phenomenal practical guide to Christocentric preaching, and James Garretson's book Princeton and Preaching, which is a study of the Gospel ministry through the observations of Archibald Alexander, first president of Princeton Seminary. There's a LOT of practical material in this book.

Of all the preaching books I've read, these are what helped me the greatest:

Imperative of Preaching: A Theology of Sacred Rhetoric -John Carrick
Preaching With Purpose
- Jay Adams
Truth Applied
- Jay Adams
Sacred Rhetoric
- Dabney
Preaching and Preachers
- Lloyd-Jones
Pastoral Theology - Thomas Murphy
Preaching Pure and Simple - Murray Cappill