Book Recommendations Sought

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccravens

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello,

Seeking book recommendatons of 2 sorts:

1. Life of Samson - if there are any/many books where the author specifically deals with Samson's life; if not, commentaries on Judges would also be appreciated.

2. Comparitive religion of sorts - I know a teenaged believer who is interested in a book that compare and contrasts Christianity with other major religions and belief systems. If needs to be on a fairly low reading level, about 9-10th grade.

Thank you for your time and recommendations!

Hello,

1. Life of Samson - if there are any/many books where the author specifically deals with Samson's life; if not, commentaries on Judges would also be appreciated.

2. Comparitive religion of sorts - I know a teenaged believer who is interested in a book that compare and contrasts Christianity with other major religions and belief systems. If needs to be on a fairly low reading level, about 9-10th grade.

1. Few people in the Bible have suffered more at the hands of prim and proper commentators than Samson. Most of the stuff that commentators criticize him on (minus the prostitute) were deliberately done at God's urging.

2. Huston is the secular standard on comparative religions.

Hello,

While it is not a book, I appreciated this video series by Robert Godfrey.

On Judges, I recommend Barry Webb, Dale Ralph Davis, Robert Chisholm, K. Lawson Younger Jr., Gordon Keddie, and George Schwab.

I really liked Daniel Strange's book Their Rock is Not As Our Rock. I am planning a series on cults and world religions for Sunday School. For cults, the standard work is Walter Martin's Kingdom of the Cults (now in a 6th edition). He is a bit atomistic in his treatment of the cults, but does have excellent historical material on each cult, and some good individual points. Anthony Hoekema also has a book on the four major cults. I haven't read it yet, though I have ordered it. For the world religions, the best thing is to have good apologetics textbooks alongside books on the world religions written by people espousing that religion, so as not to have major distortions.

Hoekema's work is good. I thought I had a book review on it but I guess I don't. It's pretty basic but it does give a decent understanding. Martin's work is probably still the standard. Geisler's Encyclopedia does a good job on Islam and Eastern religions.

Dale Ralph Davis's Such a Great Salvation is one of my favorite commentaries on Judges. I attached a PDF of the first 20 pages as a sample.

Attachments

• Such_a_Great_Salvation.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
On Samson, see the three works here:

I preached 8 messages covering Samson within the book of Judges (chs.13-16) in the recent months of Sep-Oct. (Sorry, no book recommendation here)

On Samson, see the three works here:

Thank you for all this work, Travis. I just read the short sketch on Samson by Alexander Whyte and it was very rich (brought tears!).

Alex @alexanderjames , I think all 6 volumes I have read so far are excellent; the first 4 by Prof. Herman C. Hoeksema are remarkable. I attach a review I did of volume 1. DJE is working on vol 7. He's 82 or 83 now – I hope he can finish the series.

Attachments

• Review of Unfolding Covenant History, Vol. 1.pdf
    131.3 KB · Views: 0
Alex @alexanderjames , I think all 6 volumes I have read so far are excellent; the first 4 by Prof. Herman C. Hoeksema are remarkable. I attach a review I did of volume 1. DJE is working on vol 7. He's 82 or 83 now – I hope he can finish the series.
Great review, and glad you liberally quoted so we could get the flavor of his writing.

Looks like I'll be purchasing some of these volumes, at least vol 5 to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back