Book recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Curtis

Puritan Board Senior
A friend is asking for a book for their small group Bible study to read and discuss. This is a very nominally Reformed group! Think broadly evangelical. So, I would like to suggest a book that will be solid and move them toward good theology rather than overwhelming them and/or scaring them away.
What would you suggest?

Apparently, you are unaware of the secret fourth volume, the one in which Turretin argues strongly against putting pineapple on pizza - in only 489 pages!
Tenth Question: Shall pineapple be put on pizza? We deny against the Americans.

Statement of the question. It is not whether pizza and pineapple are good in and of themselves, for even the Italians agree on that point. But the question solely concerns pineapple tidbits upon a pizza pie.

Source of explanation: While some may believe the sweetness of the pineapple fruit is a match for the acidic, bitter tomato sauce, it seems they have forgotten their early pizza fathers. For Pepperonius reminds us, "Nullus flavus fructus acidicus cum pistrino scriblita coniungi potest. Haeresis Neapolitana est." Canadian Baconus of Basil and John Sausages of Oregano are in agreement. Even in all of Italy today there is only one city continuing to put pineapple on pizza, this monstrosity is only to be found in the Vatican.

The Letters of John Newton are one suggestion, if they'd be willing to tackle something like that. Or a book about finding Christ in Scripture, like David Murray's Jesus on Every Page or Dennis Johnson's Walking with Jesus through His Word, might draw interest. If they want to study doctrine, there are worse places to begin than Lloyd-Jones' Great Doctrines of the Bible.

The Letters of John Newton are one suggestion, if they'd be willing to tackle something like that. Or a book about finding Christ in Scripture, like David Murray's Jesus on Every Page or Dennis Johnson's Walking with Jesus through His Word, might draw interest. If they want to study doctrine, there are worse places to begin than Lloyd-Jones' Great Doctrines of the Bible.
I started early on MLJ's Great Doctrines and really enjoyed it. Fair warning, though, it is very long, as it's basically just systematic theology preached, and I never finished it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back