Book(s) recommendation on Regeneration

Status
Not open for further replies.

fralo4truth

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi friends,

I'm wondering if you could recommend good sources which treat of regeneration. I want something very detailed, probably along the depths which a systematic theology would go.

I'm interested in anything which

1) treats of the order, logical or temporal, of regeneration.

2) explains what regeneration really is. Is it the initial quickening of the Holy Spirit, or the whole process including repentance, faith, conversion, sanctification, etc.?

3) explains what role the gospel plays. Is it the instrument for regeneration, or conversion? Is it the instrument which creates life, or exercises it?

4) addresses whether there is any time gap between regeneration and conversion.

Or any other thing else which makes us pull our hair out when trying to gaze into this most mysterious work of the Holy Spirit.

Thank you.

In his book, "Redemption Accomplished and Applied" John Murray gives and excellent chapter on the subject. The rest of the book is excellent as well and should be in everyone's library, In my humble opinion. You can usually get a used copy on Amazon for just a few dollars.

I was going to recommend Osteen's Your Best You Ever. :lol: However, I am much more inclined to recommend Murray's Redemption Accomplished and Applied. If you want a contemporary treatment, try Grudem's systematic (simple) or Demarest, The Cross and Salvation.

For other book length treatments: Hodge, Bavinck, Reymond, Sproul writes simply on the subject in a number of his books.

Monergism has a host of great excerpts and articles on regeneration: Monergism :: Regeneration. Packer is clear. John Hendryx puts it into a helpful chart format. "Regeneration Necessary to Perceive the Beauty and Excellency of Divine Things," Charles Hodge is also good. "Born Again A Biblical and Theological Study of Regeneration" by Peter Toon takes a more Biblical and historical approach.

"A Treatise on Regeneration" already mentioned is excellent ..............
Would also recommend "The Nature of Saving Conversion" by Solomon Stoddard and "Studies on Saving Faith" by Arthur W. Pink.

Thanks for your recommendations. I just ordered 'A Treatise on Regeneration' and 'Redemption Accomplished and Applied' and look forward to devouring them. If you know of anything else, please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back