Book that most influenced and/or improved your preaching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the Preparation and Delivery of Sermons by John Broadus. Be careful, though, some of the editions floating around have been dubiously abridged or revised.

Preaching and Biblical Theology (Clowney)
Preaching the Whole Bible as Christian Scripture (Goldsworthy)
The Supremacy of God in Preaching (Piper)
Preaching and Preachers (Lloyd-Jones)

It's a toss-up between these for me.

I'm late to the party, as usual, and all the good stuff has been cited!

There is one thing that hasn't, however, albeit comparatively brief: The section "Of the Preaching of the Word," in The Directory for The Publick Worship of God, adopted by the Westminster Assembly of Divines in 1645, reputed to be chiefly the work of John Marshall.

This is a gem, setting forth in a short space what biblical preaching is to be and do.

Peace,
Alan

:ditto: I picked up this one for $1.50 on clearance at the Southeastern Seminary Lifeway.

I hope it's not being discontinued. Perhaps they're simply printing a new cover or an update. Publishers are funny like that; when Lloyd-Jones' "Great Doctrines of the Bible" was released in paperback, I stumbled upon a hardcover edition at our local Lifeway store at 90% off. Same thing when IVP released an updated edition of their OT Bible Backgrounds Commentary, 90% off; and I just got another copy of Recovering Biblical Manhood & Womanhood 90% off a couple of weeks ago.

But that's off-topic, so I'll add one more resource to our growing list: simply reading sermons from Edwards, Spurgeon, & various Puritans has been very instructive for my preaching.

Preaching and Preachers (Martyn Lloyd-Jones "The Doctor"). I find it so inspirational, I read it again every other year or so.

Some have been mentioned that were helpful to me, so I would add one that is
inspirational to my own soul. In the BT book 'The Calvinistic Methodist Fathers of Wales',
there are two preachers that I return to time and time again. They are found in the 2nd volume
The first volume contains the history of the first generation of outstanding preachers. But the
second generation had men who were equal in power and the demonstration of the Spirit.
One is Ebenezer Morris, a layman who was called up higher to the full time ministry, whose
voice charmed thousands in the open air services. Preaching with pathos, power and sweetness,
the unbelievers were reduced to tears and fear.
The other was John Elias,second only to the incomparable Rowlands, though some would say his
equal. This prince of preachers from the palace of the King, when he lifted up his voice in the open
air, could bend the listening thousands as a field of corn before the wind.
As I read these accounts, the fire begins to burn, and I trust that my preparation comes hot off the anvil.
"O Jerusalem,that bringeth good tidings, lift up thy voice with strength; lift it up, be not afraid; say unto the
the cities of Judah, Behold your God."

:ditto: I picked up this one for $1.50 on clearance at the Southeastern Seminary Lifeway.

I hope it's not being discontinued. Perhaps they're simply printing a new cover or an update. Publishers are funny like that; when Lloyd-Jones' "Great Doctrines of the Bible" was released in paperback, I stumbled upon a hardcover edition at our local Lifeway store at 90% off. Same thing when IVP released an updated edition of their OT Bible Backgrounds Commentary, 90% off; and I just got another copy of Recovering Biblical Manhood & Womanhood 90% off a couple of weeks ago.

But that's off-topic, so I'll add one more resource to our growing list: simply reading sermons from Edwards, Spurgeon, & various Puritans has been very instructive for my preaching.

As I'm sure you know, the Lifeway's on the campus of the SBC seminaries also double as campus bookstores that carry all of the required texts. Usually when something like that was put on clearance, it was because it had been a required textbook at one time but the professor stopped requiring it or the class was discontinued.

As I'm sure you know, the Lifeway's on the campus of the SBC seminaries also double as campus bookstores that carry all of the required texts. Usually when something like that was put on clearance, it was because it had been a required textbook at one time but the professor stopped requiring it or the class was discontinued.
m

Very good point, sir!

I think "Delighting in the Trinity" by Michael Reeves has many good illustrations that have been helpful in talking to people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back