Bookclub interest for Gillespie's "Aaron's Rod"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logan

Puritan Board Graduate
A friend and myself are thinking about reading through "Aaron's Rod Blossoming" by George Gillespie, with a particular emphasis on what he says regarding the role of the civil magistrate. Is there any interest in doing a book club read-through?

If so, a hard copy can be purchased through Reformation Heritage Books, which is a nice reprint of a 19th century, double-column, oversize edition, or it can be found online. I think we might start in about a month or so.

In my early days I studied it for its teaching on church discipline in correlation with the WCF chapter on church censures. I have quite a few pages of notes on it, so if there is a desire to go through it I would welcome the opportunity to refresh and expand on my notes.

I am interested as a reader and spectator. I'm afraid my interaction will be limited as I have too many irons in the fire as it is.

Who be this unnamed friend? I may have reservations, depending on whom it is. ;) I'm interested; I'll order today and let you know when I get it.

Wish I had time to do this as this is one Gillespie book I have the least time in but will follow as much as I can.

Let us know when you've got a proposed schedule.

The proposed reading plan is as follows, with rough subjects for the sections.

pp 1--26 Book 1, Ch 1--4 Jewish Church Government
pp 26--56 Book 1, Ch 5--11 Jewish Excommunication and Restoration
pp 56--80 Book 1, Ch 12--Book 2, Ch 2 First Book Objections and Answers
pp 80--107 Book 2, Ch 3--6 Erastianism and the Twofold Kingdom
pp 107--143 Book 2, Ch 7--9 Civil and Ecclesiastical Government
pp 143--170 Book 2, Ch 10--Book 3, Ch 2 Ecclesiastical Government and Excommunication
pp 170--198 Book 3, Ch 3--6 The Keys of the Church
pp 198--223 Book 3, Ch 7--10 Judas and the Lord's Supper
pp 223--253 Book 3, Ch 11--14 Is the Lord's Supper a Converting Ordinance?
pp 253--276 Book 3, Ch 15--18 Closing Thoughts on Lord's Supper

And we'll probably start in a couple of weeks. I'm also considering producing a clean PDF and Kindle version of the book, but that would take a lot of transcribing and work as it's a reasonably complex book. We'll see. As far as I can tell, nothing like that has been done beyond the OCR produced by Google Books, which isn't that great.

Please send me the information. I'll plan to read with you-all, even if my contributions will be limited due to other responsibilities.

Ha, yes I did. And my first thought was doing a transcription from that. Then I calmed down and regained my sanity ;)

I tried the Kindle version here on my Fire. Still pretty raggedy but not as bad as some files that are out there.

Nice find. It's from the older edition so the spelling is a bit antiquated and it misses some characters and words but for the most part it's fairly clean.

I worked for a few hours today on transcribing this...it would be a pretty large undertaking, and I'm undecided if I'll continue. It's questionable that I'd be able to stay ahead of the book club and provide it for its use. Here's what I've done so far (chapter 3 is incomplete, as is 4). If I produced a proper kindle version from this work, I might just leave out the footnotes altogether.

Good schedule. 25 pages looks reasonable. I'm laid aside with an injury at the moment, so I might try to work on the text as we go, comparing the original with the Armoury edition.

A friend and myself are thinking about reading through "Aaron's Rod Blossoming" by George Gillespie, with a particular emphasis on what he says regarding the role of the civil magistrate. Is there any interest in doing a book club read-through?

If so, a hard copy can be purchased through Reformation Heritage Books, which is a nice reprint of a 19th century, double-column, oversize edition, or it can be found online. I think we might start in about a month or so.

I'm interested! I found a copy for google books here.

But do let me know if you are able to get a decent Kindle file.
Still pretty raggedy but not as bad as some files that are out there.

I put together a eink-sized pdf of the first reading (which I finished typing up yesterday). It looks great on my Paperwhite, but I'm not sure what sized screens you have. Let me know if this works.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dc07251skyw2n9v/AaronsRodKindle.pdf?dl=0

I don't have time to produce a proper Kindle book at the moment, but this is the next best thing.

But do let me know if you are able to get a decent Kindle file.
Still pretty raggedy but not as bad as some files that are out there.

I put together a eink-sized pdf of the first reading (which I finished typing up yesterday). It looks great on my Paperwhite, but I'm not sure what sized screens you have. Let me know if this works.

I don't have time to produce a proper Kindle book at the moment, but this is the next best thing.

That is wonderful. I hope you do make a full book of it.

Looks good; some wonderful bibliographical work could be done here. It may be if you put the work in on the early chapters you will have done a lot of the work for later references.

some wonderful bibliographical work could be done here.

That's true. I've never used bibtex but I'll look into it and see how much more effort it would take at this point. Indices and list of scripture references would be nice as well but...time.

I would welcome the opportunity to refresh and expand on my notes.
I am interested.
I am interested as a reader and spectator.
I'm interested;
will follow as much as I can.
I'm in,,,,
I'll plan to read with you-all
I'm interested!

You're all being tagged because you had an interest in doing a read-along. Austin's posts seem to be gone, maybe he dropped out.

I plan on starting the topic for the first portion on Monday, March 14. The plan is to read the portion during the week, post thoughts as you read, or summarize your thoughts in one post as you choose. Discuss, ask questions, argue, have fun :)

The "reading period" will officially end the following Sunday (March 20) but I anticipate that as some people do their reading on Sunday, the discussion will continue into the next week at the very least. The topic for the next portion will be posted March 21, etc.

Officially the reading will follow the 1844 edition, available online or available in hard copy.

However, I have also been working on a re-edited and clean copy which I will provide, if possible, for the use of the book club (I'll do my best to keep ahead). The first reading is available here (with the caveat that no proofreading has been done):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/25y6hzwn8w4bo14/AaronsRod.pdf?dl=0

with a specially sized Kindle edition here:

I'm looking forward to it! I'll post again here when the first topic is live.

Thanks, Logan, for putting this together and for the extra work you are putting in.

I would welcome the opportunity to refresh and expand on my notes.
I am interested.
I am interested as a reader and spectator.
I'm interested;
will follow as much as I can.
I'm in,,,,
I'll plan to read with you-all
I'm interested!
I'm interested

First week is live:

http://www.puritanboard.com/showthread.php/89282-Bookclub-Aaron-s-Rod-Blossoming-Week-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back