-A Scriptural, Ecclesiastical, and Historical View of Slavery
-The Negro: The Southerner' s Problem
-A Scriptural Examination of Slavery
-Liberty and Slavery
-The Philosophy and Practice of Slavery in the United States
-White Supremacy and Negro Subordination

These books are reprinted by The Confederate Reprint Company
Slavery -

I really hope to hear som ethoughts on this issue, because what i understand is that those authers defense slavery.

Has anyone ever read the following books on the issue of slavery:

-A Debate on Slavery
-Liberty and Slavery

These books are reprinted by The Confederate Reprint Company
Slavery -

I really hope to hear som ethoughts on this issue, because what i understand is that those authers defense slavery.

I'm familiar with a couple of them. On the website you linked I saw at least one more that I've read (Dabney's A Defense of Virginia). I've also read A Scriptural Examination of Slavery. They are apologies for southern slavery. If you are looking for something balanced and more historically accurate, you may need to go to a publisher other than The Confederate Reprint Company.

Ironically, when I began reading Dabney's book I was sympathetic to his thesis. The book disgusted me and convinced me of the opposite.

I cannot recall the name and author right now but there is a scholarly book out there that I read some years ago that addresses slavery in history. It was quite good. I'll try and remember what it was and post it.

I was on the same website not long ago looking at the same books. I'm also curious to hear some thoughts on the issue.

Has anyone ever read the following books on the issue of slavery:

-A Debate on Slavery
-Liberty and Slavery

I'm familiar with a couple of them. On the website you linked I saw at least one more that I've read (Dabney's A Defense of Virginia). I've also read A Scriptural Examination of Slavery. They are apologies for southern slavery. If you are looking for something balanced and more historically accurate, you may need to go to a publisher other than The Confederate Reprint Company.

A Debate on Slavery contains the content of a debate between two Presbyterian ministers in Cincinnati in the 1847. The general question debated was, "Is slavery as an institution sinful?" Jonathan Blancard said "yes," and Nathan Lewis Rice said, "no." Rice was a respectable and very knowledgable minister of the Gospel. This book is well worth the read.

A Scriptural... View of Slavery was written during the war by the Episcopal bishop of Vermont and deals with the subject of slavery in general from the perspectives noted in the title. It is a very scholarly work. Excerpt: :: Slavery in the Old South ::

The Negro, the Southerner's Problem deals mainly with race relations following the war. Despite its provocative title, it takes a fair and positive view of Southern Blacks during the antebellum and bellum periods, and is hopeful with respect to their assimilation into post-bellum society. Excerpt: :: Slavery in the Old South ::

A Scriptural Examination of Slavery answers the typical Abolitionist arguments that slavery as an institution is sinful. If you've read Dabney's book on the subject, there's not much different here.

Liberty and Slavery was written by an Episcopal priest and takes a philosophical approach to the subject, also answering the main Abolitionist arguments. Here is chapter one: :: Slavery in the Old South ::

The Philosophy and Practice of Slavery was written by a professor of Moral Science and spends a lot of time dealing with the obligations which masters owed to slaves.

You might want to pass on White Supremacy and Negro Subordination, since it is definitely on the extreme side (although it was written by a New Yorker). However, this chapter is informative: :: Slavery in the Old South ::

The books listed above are not really apologies for Southern slavery per se, since they focus more on the abstract moral issues. However, if you want something that does deal specifically with Southern slavery, from an eyewitness' perspective, I would recommend Nehemiah Adams' A Southside View of Slavery. Adams was an Abolitionist from Boston who spent three months visiting the plantations throughout the South in 1854 and gives detailed accounts of what he saw and heard. He remains staunchly anti-slavery throughout the book, but is also fair in how he describes his experiences. Here's an excerpt from one of the chapters: :: Slavery in the Old South ::

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back