From IVP's blog Addenda & Errata:

January 9, 2010
That Old Bookcase Backdrop

Pastors do it.
Scholars do it.
Even insecure editors do it.
Let’s not do it.
Let’s not do it at all!

Yes, I've done it too. But it’s a visual cliché, folks. Let’s not get our professional or “author” photo taken against the backdrop of shelved books. Just today, trying to find some info on an author, I once again visited a church website (it could have been an academic site). There it was again. Everyone’s posing in front of bookshelves. (Among pastors, this is particularly endemic among Presbyterians, or at least those who aspire to the “learned ministry.”)

If you are a pastor or scholar, writer or editor, these days you need all the help you can get to defy the stereotypes and at least look like you have other interests! Try getting your photo taken against a backdrop of your favorite activity or coffee shop or maybe with your dog or cat.

Do you realize that when the books are lined up behind you, it’s an open invitation for other book people to evaluate you by what’s on your shelves? Really. It’s like you’ve posted a patch of your mind on YouTube for scrutiny. We get a 3 x 4 foot glimpse of what books you think are authoritative on a random selection of topics. And let me tell you, that’s what we bookies immediately focus on. (I confess that I immediately start to study the book spines!) And it's not all congratulatory. “He actually bought that book?” “Why doesn’t she have my book?” “It doesn’t look like that library has been updated since graduating from seminary in the 80s!” So if you are going to do the old book-backdrop routine, choose those books carefully. Very carefully.

And another thing, make sure your photographer is taking care not to make your look foolish. You know--shelves coming out of your ears or Calvin’s Institutes balanced on your head. Frankly, that’s just silly.

Posted by Dan Reid at January 9, 2010 4:29 PM

What think ye? Will this change your mind? If you're not part of the accused, would this make you think twice?

I took my picture in the library. No I won't change it. If I wanted my picture to be in front of book for "looks", I would have done so in front of a much more attractive stack with some U.S. Reporters on it. What's behind me is... unknown to me.

I took my picture in the library. No I won't change it. If I wanted my picture to be in front of book for "looks", I would have done so in front of a much more attractive stack with some U.S. Reporters on it. What's behind me is... unknown to me.

I think it's the brown metal shelves you should be second guessing!

-----Added 1/13/2009 at 01:40:31 EST-----

The article does make me wonder if anyone actually poses books so that specific titles are visible in the picture. Doing so would be a very subtle way of messing with people.

If you like your mug in front of books, then take a bookshelf shot. If not, then don't. I don't think that piece has much merit, frankly.

Remind me why those stereotypes need to be defied? Of what use is that? Just be who you are - if you are an academic, or a studious pastor, then BE such. If not, then don't pretend to be, but to complain about too many people taking pictures in front of books is one of those patently silly whines that I like to meet with "would you like some cheese with that?"

Our library is.... the reason we dropped in national ranking. We have great staff and the highest bar passage rate of any school in the state (we own Vanderbilt). Our facilities are horrible though. We're moving into the old Federal Courthouse downtown, which will be awesome, but not for another year.

My picture was "taken" in the 1700s. The artist didn't think books were necessary. My powdered wig makes me look scholarly enough.

So ... does this mean that florists should not have flowers in their photos ... mechanics, huh uh no cars ... plumbers, forget the tools ... scholars, lose your books ... congressmen, don't you stand in front of the capitol ... I know ... one generic blah pastel backdrop for us all! I think Mr. Reid has too much time on his hands, maybe he should be reading some of those books NOT in his backdrop. And did you notice his timestamp - January 9, 2010 ... back to the future with you, Mr. Reid.

I like does kind of pictures

I think you meant "those"...

But I agree, especially when you can see the book titles. It tells a lot about a person.

I heard a very good suggestion for pastors on wretchedradio.com the other day. Make sure you always have a shelf labeled "Books you should never read". Members always scan the shelves of pastors for books so make sure the bad ones you have are labeled as such!:book2:

lol!! this was very entertaining! (Especially since I was thinking of doing 'the bookshelve shot' just the other day! lol) 'respect to the person with the Calvin from Calvin and hobbes avitar!

A pic of me doing a favorite activity, eh? I'm not sure anyone wants to see me curled up in bed...I fear my powerful morning breath would also transfer through the photo.

Other than sleeping, my other activities include a perpetual look of confusion...I think books would be an excellent backdrop from which to draw people's attention away from my mug!

Camera's on the computer. Computer's in my study. So are books. So there. :)

BTW Wes, your shelves look a bit sparce in a few areas. Do you want me to send you a few Hinn books I have not gotten rid of from my charismatic days?

Jer:)

Aw shucks, would you? But I wouldn't want to presume upon your generosity. :)

Yeah, I would agree that my library needs some work. I've probably only got a couple thousand books. But more are on the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back