Books for New Pastors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Presbyterian

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Since I will be entering the Pastoral Ministry here in a couple of months I wanted to put forward a question for others here at the PB. While this is necessarily directed towards the PB Ministers all are welcome to answer.

So the question is if you could go back what would be one book (or 5) that you would or wish you would have read before starting Pastoral Ministry that you found or think are worthwhile and helpful?

Blessings and Thanks!

Oh, yes. A Pastor's Sketches is a must. I believe that Solid Ground Books has it at a cheaper price. I may be wrong, however.

Sent from my Garminfone using Tapatalk

Preachers and Preaching by Lloyd-Jones is an annual favorite!

I have not started, but will with in a week or so, William Still's Work of the Pastor.

I really loved the Soli Deo Gloria book called Feed My Sheep.

"The Christian Pastor's Manual," a compilation with chapters by John Brown, Philip Doddridge, John Newton, Abraham Booth, Richard Cecil, Isaac Watts, and several others. A Soli Deo Gloria books.

"The Christian Pastor's Manual," a compilation with chapters by John Brown, Philip Doddridge, John Newton, Abraham Booth, Richard Cecil, Isaac Watts, and several others. A Soli Deo Gloria books.

Isaac Watts? The Isaac Watts?

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

Lots of good books already recommended. I would also recommend "The Christian Ministry" by Charles Bridges. Great book.

I know you've read it, but from John Brown's systematic theology the Address to Students of Divinity, and then the Reflections at the end of each doctrinal section, I thought very impressive.

Nowhere near Reformed, but If I Were Starting My Ministry Again by John Drescher. Very practical and insightful. A book you can read in about 15 minutes. Do it. Daily. For a month.

Let me quickly add I would not replace one of the others mentioned above, but add this to your reading. Also, if you find yourself in a church in need of "revitalization, " Perhaps "From Embers to a Flame" would be helpful. This book, author, and conference, is a significant part of a D.Min at RTS. Embers to a Flame Westminster Bookstore - Reformed Books - Low Prices - Flat Fee UPS Shipping - From Embers to a Flame: How God Can Revitalize Your Church 2nd Edition (Paperback) Reeder, Harry L, III 9781596380714)

Begg's On Being a Pastor is worth a read, also. You will benefit from the works of Jay Adams as well.

Dr. Kistler,

I was able to find a copy of this at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary's library. Beginning to read it tomorrow. Looks excellent!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back