Books introducing the means of grace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookish_Basset

Puritan Board Freshman
Can anyone recommend books that provide a good introduction to an ordinary means of grace approach to worship and the Christian life? What the means of grace are, the fact that they are given to us by Christ, and why they are so important to our walk with the Lord, both personally and corporately? Older and more scholarly works are fine, but I'm especially interested in books targeting contemporary culture. (Would Michael Horton's Ordinary serve this purpose, for example?)

I ask because a friend and I are looking to develop some devotional material that's more means of grace-oriented (encouraging preparation for and reflection on them, etc.) than much modern "devotional" writing tends to be. Even before starting the devotional aspect of the project, we're realizing some of the challenges of introducing this subject to friends of a more broadly evangelical mindset. So I'm looking for works that will help us shore up our own understanding, and also give us a sense of how others may have approached this.

Thanks so much for all of these. I'm glad to find some of these resources available online--the Berkhof excerpt will be especially helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back