Books on Election and the Trinity - Need Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

monoergon

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello,
I am looking forward to buying one book on Election and one on the Trinity but I don't know which to choose for my self (money is not a problem). I have studied to refute arminian proof texts from John Gill's The Cause of God and Truth, Jame White's Potter's Freedom, and essays on monergism.com. I never read an exclusive book on Election, however. That's because there has been only one year that I came to believe in the doctrines of Grace. I should say that I'm not looking for a very superficial book on those subjects nor for a very hard one either (e.g. one a Doctor of Divinity would be studying for his/her thesis). I was able to understand Whites book quite well.

ELECTION: I was told that R.C. Sproul's Chosen By God is a great book on the doctrine of election. So I researched amazon in order to buy it and found Pink's The Doctrine of Election and Piper's The Justification of God: An Exegetical and Theological Study of Romans 9:1-23 . What are the pros and cons of these? Is there any important info. I should know before choosing one or the other? Is there another book I should consider, classic or contemporary?

TRINITY: I own and have read Dr. James White's Potter's Freedom and his book on Islam. So I'm somewhat familiar with his writing style and I liked his apologetics stance and understood his books well.

James White's The Forgotten Trinity received great reviews on amazon. Another great apologist is Dr. Gordon Clark of whom I have not read any books or essays but found his work on amazon entitled "Trinity/Trinity Papers: No. 8." What are the pros and cons of both? Is there any important info. I should know before choosing one or the other? Is there another book I should consider, classic or contemporary?

Your reviews on the aforementioned books and any other one you have read will greatly assist me to choose one.

Chosen by God and the Forgotten Trinity are both on my list, I don't see how you can go wrong with them. Another book on my to read list is Brief Declaration and Vindication of The Doctrine of the Trinity by John Owen, I can't vouch for any of these books personally but I've found them because of recommendations.

Hello,

TRINITY: I own and have read Dr. James White's Potter's Freedom and his book on Islam. So I'm somewhat familiar with his writing style and I liked his apologetics stance and understood his books well.

James White's The Forgotten Trinity received great reviews on amazon. Another great apologist is Dr. Gordon Clark of whom I have not read any books or essays but found his work on amazon entitled "Trinity/Trinity Papers: No. 8." What are the pros and cons of both? Is there any important info. I should know before choosing one or the other? Is there another book I should consider, classic or contemporary?

While I have a number of problems with Robert Letham's book on the Trinity, it is probably the best survey from a Reformed perspective. Robert W. Jenson's volume 1 Systematic Theology contains the most beautiful and sublime treatment of the Trinity imaginable.

Those who are insane or just really really smart can try to tackle David Bentley Hart's The Beauty of the Infinite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back