Books on inerrancy & the canon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Me Died Blue

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
What are some of the best books people would recommend on one or both of those two subjects? I already own F. F. Bruce's [i:d405020c4d]The Canon of Scripture[/i:d405020c4d], but have yet to read it.

You might want to check out [i:6124ebc571]A General Introduction To The Bible[/i:6124ebc571] by Norman Giesler and William Nix. Not sure if this is one of the "best" books, but I've certainly found it helpful.

" The Authority and Inspiration of the Scripture " by B. B. Warfield . It is a classic .

Two books on different angles of the question:
[i:9a72344af0]Inspiration and Canonicity of the Scriptures[/i:9a72344af0] by R. Laird Harris. A Press, 1996. 347pp including notes and index. Harris taught at Covenant Theo. Sem. for years. He was still alive and kicking about five years ago in his nineties, I think.

[i:9a72344af0]Biblical Authority: A Critique of the Rogers/McKim Proposal[/i:9a72344af0] by John D. Woodbridge. Zondervan, 1982. Rogers/McKim sought essentially to resurrect the old canard that Warfield and Princeton basically "invented" a new doctrine of inspiration. This book is their epitaph.

I suppose what aspect of the canon you're interested in examining. Along with the other books mentioned, I would recommend the following.

[i:0e0bdfa75e]The Canon of the New Testament: Its Origin, Development, and Significance[/i:0e0bdfa75e] by Bruce M. Metzger

[i:0e0bdfa75e]An Introduction to the Apocrpha[/i:0e0bdfa75e] by Bruce M. Metzger

[i:0e0bdfa75e]The Text and Canon of the New Testament[/i:0e0bdfa75e] by Alexander Souter

[i:0e0bdfa75e]The Canon and Text of the New Testament[/i:0e0bdfa75e] by Caspar Rene Gregory

[i:0e0bdfa75e]Holy Scripture, the Ground and Pillar of Our Faith[/i:0e0bdfa75e], Vol. 2 by William Webster http://www.christiantruth.com/books.html[/quote]

Originally posted by Me Died Blue
I was just looking back over this list, and realized I had never said thanks. So thanks, guys!

I know the tricks that go on in this board. :detective:

Are you sure you are not just trying to up your post count? :lol:

JI Packer's Fundamentalism and the Word of God was crucial for me as I was leaving liberalism. Warfield is good. Machen is good. Machen doesn't deal with inerrancy, per se, but with the theological framework of both liberalism and classical Christianity--essential reading. Norman Geisler's Inerrancy, ed. is good.

Originally posted by ANT
Originally posted by Me Died Blue
I was just looking back over this list, and realized I had never said thanks. So thanks, guys!

I know the tricks that go on in this board. :detective:

Are you sure you are not just trying to up your post count? :lol:

...and of course you're totally free from that. :lol:

On a serious note, what made me think of this topic again was an essay I'm writing on the subject of "Christian worldview," and I realized how central and foundational to that worldview Scripture and one's view of the nature of its authority are. I have Ridderbos' book, and will probably read it soon, since it is very short. Thanks for recommending it, Scott, and especially for noting that it was consistent with a presuppositional mindset, since that's why I initially chose to buy it. I'm off to re-read Bahnsen's articles at the moment...

Hermeneutics, Authority and Canon, edited by D. A. Carson and J D. Woodbridge, is very good. Particularly edifying is David G. Dunbar's chapter on "The Biblical Canon."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back