Books on Prayer

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyCalvinist

Puritan Board Junior
Could someone recommend some good books on prayer? I am also interested in books on growing in grace/holiness. Thanks.

How about "The Treasury of David" by Spurgeon. Its his commentary on the Psalms, but very devotional in nature (as if the two could be split anyway!)

I think its a good book on "prayer" even if that's not in the title of the book.

Thanks everyone. I have the Valley of Vision (awesome book) as well as the WLC and WCF. I have just ordered the Puritans on Prayer but I have been unable to find locate anyone who has a copy of Gospel Incense except a church down in Australia at reformers.com. I am also considereing the other books as well.

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Valley Of Vision, A Collection Of Puritan Prayers by Arthur Bennett
[Edited on 10-28-2005 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Great list, Andrew. "The Valley of Vision" for me was like finding a gold mine!

I know I'm very infrequent poster at the Puritan Board, but I do "lurk" a couple of times a week for a very limited time.

Originally posted by Ivan
Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Valley Of Vision, A Collection Of Puritan Prayers by Arthur Bennett
[Edited on 10-28-2005 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Great list, Andrew. "The Valley of Vision" for me was like finding a gold mine!

I know I'm very infrequent poster at the Puritan Board, but I do "lurk" a couple of times a week for a very limited time.

Always good to see you here, brother! :pilgrim::up:

"I have the Valley of Vision (awesome book) as well as the WLC and WCF."

VOV is great. You might also try John Baillie's Diary of Private Prayer. It sets out a month of morning and evening private prayers. You can get it cheap (like $1.00) at half.com.

Here are a few more recommendations:

The Still Hour, or Communion With God in Prayer -- Austin Phelps
A Call to Prayer -- J.C. Ryle
Time for Secret Prayer -- Thomas Brooks
The Secret Key to Heaven -- The Vital Importance of Private Prayer -- Thomas Brooks
The Closet: or, Secret Prayer Successfully Managed -- Samuel Lee (see also The Bible and the Closet -- Thomas Watson and Samuel Lee)
Lord, Teach Us to Pray -- Alexander Whyte
The Christian's Daily Walk -- Henry Scudder
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/General-Directions-Comfortable-Walking-God/dp/1877611263]Comfortable Walking With God[/ame] -- Robert Bolton
The Most High a Prayer-Hearing God -- Jonathan Edwards
The Necessity of Secret Prayer -- Thomas Boston
For What, and How We are to Pray -- Thomas Boston
The Lord Prayer, its Spirit and its Teaching -- Octavius Winslow
The Practice of Piety -- Lewis Bayly
The Christian's Reasonable Service -- Wilhelmus a Brakel

When You Pray by Prof. Herman Hanko, Reformed Free Publishing - http://www.rfpa.org

192 Pages
Hardcover
ISBN 0-916206-94-7

DESCRIPTION
How many Christians can confidently say that they have “mastered” the art of prayer?
Probably no one.

What is blessedly refreshing about Professor Hanko’s work, When You Pray, is his admission that none of us is good at prayer—including himself—yet over the years of one’s life, the author assures us, a person can make progress in praying.

Professor Hanko shares with his readers homely yet highly meaningful lessons he learned from growing up in a covenant family and covenantal church community. He also tells the specific benefits of praying to the sovereign God of the universe, who knows our sins and weaknesses but love us still. Valuable is the professor’s clear explanation of how God can be likened to the father of an earthly family, loving and caring for his own dear children.

An eye-opening and very helpful part of his book is the author’s pinpointing of misconceptions people have about God and prayer that bar them from praying in a God-honoring way.

Prayer that does not clash with Scripture is of prime importance for the author, whose sensitivity to scriptural truths has been honed in more than thirty years of study and teaching as professor of New Testament and church history in the Theological School of the Protestant Reformed Churches in America. Professor Hanko is a down-to-earth writer, one who very much feels with his readers the struggle that it sometimes is to take the time to engage in heartfelt, sincere prayer. His apt illustrations from everyday life make the underlying theology of prayer vividly understandable.

If you have found your devotional life to be frequently barren, reading what the author has learned the hard way—over fifty years in the ministry—will not discourage you further, but will give you a renewed desire to fellowship with your Father in prayer.

What is the paper like in "Valley Of Vision?" Is it the thin onion/Bible paper?

Thanks.

jm

"What is the paper like in "Valley Of Vision?" Is it the thin onion/Bible paper?"

There are different versions. The softcover is ordinary paper. I will try and check my leather one and let you know what it uses.

Three more great books

On Prayer: "How to Pray" by R.A. Torrey

On Holiness: "Holy Living" by Jeremy Taylor
"The Pursuit of Holiness" by Jerry Bridges

Add this one to your list -

Henry, Matthew -
A Method for Prayer, with Scripture Expressions Directions for Daily Communion with God

Matthew Henry was an independent and was also the son of a Presbyterian minister. I find this material very consistent with Biblical and confessional standards.

There are many examples of Godly prayer in the 1662 BCP and the 1928 BCP. No , not kidding I gave a BCP to an OPC friend and he has taken some of the prayers and "doctored them up" for both family and private devotions. Keeps what he has done in a notebook. He loves 'em.:up: :up: :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back