Books On Sin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Presbyterian

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Looking for recommendations on books that cover sin.

Seriousness of sin, Nature of sin, conscious violation of God's Law, etc...

All of the above, covering any aspect and age level you can think of.

Thanks in advance

The Nature, Power, Deceit, and Prevalency

of the

Remainders of Indwelling Sin in Believers

Together With

The Ways of Its Working and Means of Prevention, Opened, Evinced, and Applied

With

A Resolution of Sundry Cases of Conscience Thereunto Appertaining

“O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord” – Romans 7:24, 25

By: John Owen

https://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/sdg/owen_remainderssin.html

Two Puritan Paperbacks, Mortification of Sin and the Sinfulness of Sin. These are the ones I'm familiar with, but I'm sure there's other great stuff out there, especially in systematic books.

The Evil of Evils, by Jeremiah Burroughs
The Spots of the Godly and of the Wicked, Jeremiah Burroughs
The Combat Between the Flesh and the Spirit, Christopher Love
The Exceeding Sinfulness of Sin, by Edward Reynolds
Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices, Thomas Brooks
Discovering the Wickedness of Our Heart, Matthew Mead
The Mischief of Sin, Thomas Watson
The Anatomy of Secret Sins, Obadiah Sedgwick
Delivered from All Our Sins, Nicholas Byfield

I subscribe to the C.S. Lewis dictum about the superiority of reading old books more than new ones. But, simply out of a desire to see a current author in the "broader" Reformed tradition tackling the subject from the perspective of today, try: "Not the Way It's Supposed to Be: A Breviary of Sin," Cornelius Plantinga Jr.

Thomas Goodwin wrote "The Aggravations of Sin" which is found in v.4 of his works; volume 10 contains "An Unregenerate Man's Guiltiness before God."

Human Nature in its Fourfold Estate, Thomas Boston, has several portions on sin in the natural and regenerate man, as well as the effects of sin, and its end.

The Mortification of Sin and Indwelling Sin in Believers by John Owen. Both cover the topic of sin from two approaches: TMOS is more practical on how to kill sin, while ISIB is more theological, expositing Romans 7:21 and so forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back