Books on the Attributes of God

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtlaurence

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello!

I am in the middle of reading None Greater by Matthew Barrett and I would love to hear about other great books to read about the attributes of God. I would love to also read some puritan thoughts of this, but nothing too difficult to read. Haha!

Thanks in advance!

Discourses on the Existence and Attributes of God, by the Reverend Stephen Charnock

Even if you initially find it "difficult to read," I would strongly encourage you to stay the course. It’ll get ”easier” with practice, and the benefits will be -in my estimation- immeasurable.

Discourses on the Existence and Attributes of God, by the Reverend Stephen Charnock

Even if you initially find it "difficult to read," I would strongly encourage you to stay the course. It’ll get ”easier” with practice, and the benefits will be -in my estimation- immeasurable.
Crossway is releasing a new edition. It will be newly typeset and edited by Mark Jones.

I'm greatly looking forward to this.

Charnock is certainly the gold standard on this question. Muller's volume 3 of Post-Reformation Reformed Dogmatics is also good, though not the easiest thing to read. Something that is slightly easier to read on this is the part of volume 2 of Bavinck's Reformed Dogmatics on the subject.

I am in the middle of reading Charnock and it is truly a masterpiece. Something medium in size but just as thorough would be William Bate's "Harmony of the Divine Attributes". I really enjoyed that one as well. His section on the wisdom of God in redemption is amazing. If you want a small, easier to read, but still rich book on the attributes, I would suggest George Swinnock "The Incomparableness of God". Enjoy your reading!

Hello!

I am in the middle of reading None Greater by Matthew Barrett and I would love to hear about other great books to read about the attributes of God. I would love to also read some puritan thoughts of this, but nothing too difficult to read. Haha!

Thanks in advance!
I really enjoyed and benefitted from Pink's book, which is quite short and digestible. I'd be curious to hear how you like Barret's book, as I have it sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. I'm sure I'll get to it someday :book2:

My reccomended reading list:

• The Works of Thomas Goodwin, Vol. IV (In particular "THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD THE FATHER, AND HIS SON Jesus Christ")
  • Attributes of God 1 & 2 - Tozer
  • None Else: 31 Meditations on God’s Character and Attributes (audio) - Beeke & Cosby
  • Who God Is - Witherington III
  • The Attributes of God - Bray
  • The Sovereignty of God - Pink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back