Books & sermons William G. Blaikie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayflower

Puritan Board Junior
I saw at SGCB that they published books from William G. Blaikie about Lessons from the Lives of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph and Moses, Joshua & 1 and 2 Samuel.

Anyone familair or read sermons from William G. Blaikie ? Would you recommed him, esepcially his books on the livesof Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph and Moses, Joshua & 1 and 2 Samuel ?

He sticks out at me every time I look at that site, because I had someone recommend one of his books to me most firmly. But, I haven't read him, so I'll just wait to see what everyone else has to say.

Whenever I've read or heard Blaikie quoted in sermons I've always appreciated his ability to make practical observations on the OT. Three works of note: Comm's on I & II Sam., Joshua, and a very interesting book: Heroes of Israel.

I was very glad to see SGCB reprinting him. I'm sure you would profit. On a similar note, have you read Joseph Hall's Contemplations?

Enjoy!

Originally posted by Brett McKinley

I was very glad to see SGCB reprinting him. I'm sure you would profit. On a similar note, have you read Joseph Hall's Contemplations?

Enjoy!

I will check these works out. I have not read Joseph Hall's Contemplations. Any reviews you have ?

In his very helpful and humorous work, Commenting on Commentaries, Spurgeon wrote about Hall's Contemplations: "... if its price were raised in proportion to its real value, it would become one of the most costly books extant." I believe it's currently o.p., but you could probably find it on the web.

After I sent my last post, I remembered that I did get rid of one book by Blaikie. It was a Bible survey, possibly with that title and it's not bad, but just basic.

Enjoy,

Ralph, I like Blaikia. I am using his commentaries on 1 and 2 Samuel, and although he is sometimes too Victorian for me, on the whole he is very good. It is not at all a technical commentary, but he does address most of the theological questions raised by the text, and does so in a competent if nor exhaustive manner. I would recommend him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back