Books that help with heartfelt worship rather than just head knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgwolv

Puritan Board Freshman
My wife and I often discuss the fact that I’m a head-first person and she’s a heart-first person. We both have to be careful of letting one of those faculties dominate, as a balance is needed.

I love reading reformed books, but I tend to let it inform me without letting it stir up my heart to worship and to change where change is needed. Now, obviously, the Bible read prayerfully is the number one thing to do. But second to that, I would like some recommendations on reformed books that can help me with this.

One on my reading list is Packer’s Knowing God, as I think it should strike a good balance for me. Any other book recommendations, advice, and personal testimony to this regard would be much appreciated.

I placed this thread in the Christian Walk forum, under Spiritual Warfare, as it seems relevant and I was uncertain where else to put it.

Blessings to all

Paul Tripp’s Do you Believe is at a lower level reading wise, but his purpose in writing was to do exactly what you are describing: take the doctrine and show how it ought to change the way we live. I know Paul Tripp has had his issues recently, but I consider it a good read, even if only to bring my attention to this problem in my own life.

From the other direction, my wife seems similar to yours in that in-depth study is not something that comes natural to her. Praise God that he has cultivated that desire in her! She enjoyed Amy Gannett’s Fix your eyes, which does a good job at basically the same thing as Tripp’s book, but for those whose struggle is the desire to learn.

In Christ,

There were several chapters in Octivus Winslow's book "the work of the Holy Spirit" that moved me to tears, especially the parts that described what Jesus did for us on the cross. You can tell the book is written by a pastor and not just a theologian.

Paul Tripp’s Do you Believe is at a lower level reading wise, but his purpose in writing was to do exactly what you are describing: take the doctrine and show how it ought to change the way we live. I know Paul Tripp has had his issues recently, but I consider it a good read, even if only to bring my attention to this problem in my own life.

From the other direction, my wife seems similar to yours in that in-depth study is not something that comes natural to her. Praise God that he has cultivated that desire in her! She enjoyed Amy Gannett’s Fix your eyes, which does a good job at basically the same thing as Tripp’s book, but for those whose struggle is the desire to learn.

In Christ,
Thank you, brother!

There were several chapters in Octivus Winslow's book "the work of the Holy Spirit" that moved me to tears, especially the parts that described what Jesus did for us on the cross. You can tell the book is written by a pastor and not just a theologian.
Thank you. Yes, that is indeed the kind of thing I need, something pastoral. Most of the Puritans are renowned for it. I have read extracts of Winslow's work, and I can see where you are coming from. Thank you for recommending a specific work. I will try and read this one soon

This doesnt seem so much a lack of good reading material, but a lack in the process from head to heart. May I suggest, and this has been talked about before, practicing the art of divine meditation. This, if you will is the transference process of mental knowledge to heart knowledge. And this in turn is in the hope that knowledge converts from theoretical to experiential. To be honest, I, in my personal life have yet to dive deep into this because I have been so busy of late, but look forward to really getting into this practice in the future. Below are some freely accessible books on the art of meditation by Puritan authors.

A method and instructions for the art of divine meditation, with instances of the severall kindes of solemne meditation. / By Thomas White minister of Gods word in London.

The whole duty of divine meditation described in all its various parts and branches - Allestree, Richard, 1619-1681

Solitude improved by divine meditation, or, A treatise proving the duty and demonstrating the necessity, excellency, usefulness, natures, kinds and requisites of divine meditation first intended for a person of honour, and now published for general use by Nathanael Ranew.

The art of divine meditation, or, A discourse of the nature, necessity, and excellency thereof with motives to, and rules for the better performance of that most important Christian duty - Calamy, Edmund, 1600-1666.

The mount of holy meditation: or a treatise shewing the nature and kinds of meditation the subject matter and ends of it; the necessity of meditation; together with the excellency and usefulnesse thereof. By William Gearing minister of the gospel at Lymington in the county of Southampton.

A treatise of divine meditation, by that faithful servant of Jesus Christ Mr. John Ball, late minister of the Gospel at Whitmore in Staffordshire. Published by Simeon Ashe, preacher of the Gospel at Austins, London.

All of these books can also be found in a better corrected form in PDF & EPUB here free of charge. https://sites.google.com/view/project-puritas/home

Last edited:
Beeke's systematic or Brakel's Christian's Reasonable service - has plenty of heart knowledge flowing from 'head knowledge'

extract from Beeke Vol 1. 648-649 - application after doctrine.
"
Knowing God’s aseity and sufficiency with faith and love is a source of great practical help in the Christian life. First, a heart knowledge of these doctrines empowers us to worship God with great joy and to trust him when our circumstances are dark and discouraging. After falling into the sin of envying the prosperity of the wicked, Asaph learned to say, “Whom have I in heaven but thee? And there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee. My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever” (Ps. 73:25–26). If everything were to go wrong and we had no earthly prospect except suffering and death, we could rejoice in the Lord, our salvation and strength (Hab. 3:17–19). Wilhelmus à Brakel said that God “with His all-sufficiency can fill and saturate the soul to such an overflowing measure that it has need of nothing else but to have God as its portion.”

Second, the Lord is our sufficiency in ministry. Once Christ took his disciples to a desert place to rest after a season of wearisome ministry and the sad news of John the Baptist’s murder by Herod (Mark 6:17–32; cf. Matt. 14:10–13). Yet so many people followed them that eight months’ wages would not have been enough to buy food for them all. In the midst of fatigue, sorrow, and overwhelming need, Christ took five loaves and two fish, and supernaturally multiplied them to feed many thousands, with an abundance of bread left over (Mark 6:33–44). This event teaches us, in the words of James Edwards, that “God wills to fill his creatures with himself, to meet their needs with his surplus, to expand their smallness by his greatness, and to transform mundane life into abundant life.” In ministry, “our sufficiency is of God,” who “is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work” (2 Cor. 3:5; 9:8). As we serve him, we may exult that he says, “My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness” (12:9).

Third, God’s sufficiency can fill believers in Christ with hope as they anticipate their future inheritance with the King whose wealth is unimaginable. God has predestined the elect to enjoy “the riches of his glory” (Rom. 9:23). Christ, though rich, became poor so that “ye through his poverty might be rich” (2 Cor. 8:9) with “the unsearchable riches of Christ” (Eph. 3:8). God saved us and presently strengthens us through the riches of his glorious grace (1:7; 2:4; 3:16–17; Phil. 4:9). Though we bear the reproaches of the wicked and suffer temporal poverty, already we are rich in Christ (Heb. 11:26; Rev. 2:9), in whom “dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily” (Col. 2:9–10). In the coming ages, God will put on display “the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us” in Christ (Eph. 2:7). Then God will “be all in all” to Christ and his church (1 Cor. 15:28). The more Christians believe these promises, the more they will be filled with joy, peace, and hope (Rom. 15:13). They have God! He is enough."

I think this is really good stuff to think about. Honestly, I don't mean to sound cliche, but for me, worship from the heart generally comes from the Spirit, by interacting with God, and not really from reading books outside of the Bible. When I think about being saved from hell, being spared from many sufferings, having the blessings I've been given, knowing the truth, and all these things, that leads me to want to draw near to God in worship.

I'm sure books can help, but these other things have been most beneficial to me.

Last edited:
I think this is really good stuff to think about. Honestly, I don't mean to sound cliche, but for me, worship from the heart generally comes from the Spirit, by interacting with God, and not really from reading books outside of the Bible. When I think about being saved from hell, being spared from many sufferings, having the blessings I've been given, knowing the truth, and all these things, that leads me to want to draw near to God in worship.

I'm sure books can help, but these other things have been most beneficial to me.
What is interesting is that, for me, nothing excites my heart more than reading some theology book lol

I get what people mean by the distinction between head knowledge and heart knowledge. I just think it is a modern distinction. In Hebrew, we know with our lev, our heart.

I get what people mean by the distinction between head knowledge and heart knowledge. I just think it is a modern distinction. In Hebrew, we know with our lev, our heart.
Avoid getting hung up on the "head" and "heart" terminology, if you don't like it - the distinction is essentially between theoretical knowledge and experimental knowledge - it's a very real distinction, and not at all modern.

This is actually something I wrote in my diary recently. Maybe it pertains:

There are the formalities of Christianity, and then there is a drawing close to God in strong desire, affections, love, and with passion and life. This can't really be explained, and the satisfaction of it really must be experienced. Through prayer, the Word, and worship, my life is satisfied in a way like nothing else can. It is really an experience and not so much a mental concept. Just do it. Desire God more than anything, and be personal and affectionate towards Him.

Avoid getting hung up on the "head" and "heart" terminology, if you don't like it - the distinction is essentially between theoretical knowledge and experimental knowledge - it's a very real distinction, and not at all modern.

I look at it more in terms of how we define faith: assensus, noitia, and fiducia. What most call "head knowledge" is assensus. If that is what people mean by the distinction, I get it. It's not really how the Bible uses it, but I get the idea.

In any case, in terms of reading, I get more of a burning in my bosom from reading academic journal articles than from devotional literature.

This doesnt seem so much a lack of good reading material, but a lack in the process from head to heart.
I understand this.
May I suggest, and this has been talked about before, practicing the art of divine meditation. This, if you will is the transference process of mental knowledge to heart knowledge. And this in turn is in the hope that knowledge converts from theoretical to experiential. To be honest, I, in my personal life have yet to dive deep into this because I have been so busy of late, but look forward to really getting into this practice in the future. Below are some freely accessible books on the art of meditation by Puritan authors.
Thank you. Ironically, I have given an adult Bible class on Biblical meditation. But I choose topics for Bible study based on what I also need most. It is just like the Puritans said: this is a spiritual discipline that does not come naturally. I will have to work harder on this, focusing on and contemplating a verse as a part of my normal Bible study routine.

A method and instructions for the art of divine meditation, with instances of the severall kindes of solemne meditation. / By Thomas White minister of Gods word in London.

The whole duty of divine meditation described in all its various parts and branches - Allestree, Richard, 1619-1681

Solitude improved by divine meditation, or, A treatise proving the duty and demonstrating the necessity, excellency, usefulness, natures, kinds and requisites of divine meditation first intended for a person of honour, and now published for general use by Nathanael Ranew.

The art of divine meditation, or, A discourse of the nature, necessity, and excellency thereof with motives to, and rules for the better performance of that most important Christian duty - Calamy, Edmund, 1600-1666.

The mount of holy meditation: or a treatise shewing the nature and kinds of meditation the subject matter and ends of it; the necessity of meditation; together with the excellency and usefulnesse thereof. By William Gearing minister of the gospel at Lymington in the county of Southampton.

A treatise of divine meditation, by that faithful servant of Jesus Christ Mr. John Ball, late minister of the Gospel at Whitmore in Staffordshire. Published by Simeon Ashe, preacher of the Gospel at Austins, London.

All of these books can also be found in a better corrected form in PDF & EPUB here free of charge. https://sites.google.com/view/project-puritas/home
Thank you for the resources. I have already downloaded and used Project Puritas and the PDFs.
Beeke's systematic or Brakel's Christian's Reasonable service - has plenty of heart knowledge flowing from 'head knowledge'
extract from Beeke Vol 1. 648-649 - application after doctrine.
"
Knowing God’s aseity and sufficiency with faith and love is a source of great practical help in the Christian life. First, a heart knowledge of these doctrines empowers us to worship God with great joy and to trust him when our circumstances are dark and discouraging. After falling into the sin of envying the prosperity of the wicked, Asaph learned to say, “Whom have I in heaven but thee? And there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee. My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever” (Ps. 73:25–26). If everything were to go wrong and we had no earthly prospect except suffering and death, we could rejoice in the Lord, our salvation and strength (Hab. 3:17–19). Wilhelmus à Brakel said that God “with His all-sufficiency can fill and saturate the soul to such an overflowing measure that it has need of nothing else but to have God as its portion.”

Second, the Lord is our sufficiency in ministry. Once Christ took his disciples to a desert place to rest after a season of wearisome ministry and the sad news of John the Baptist’s murder by Herod (Mark 6:17–32; cf. Matt. 14:10–13). Yet so many people followed them that eight months’ wages would not have been enough to buy food for them all. In the midst of fatigue, sorrow, and overwhelming need, Christ took five loaves and two fish, and supernaturally multiplied them to feed many thousands, with an abundance of bread left over (Mark 6:33–44). This event teaches us, in the words of James Edwards, that “God wills to fill his creatures with himself, to meet their needs with his surplus, to expand their smallness by his greatness, and to transform mundane life into abundant life.” In ministry, “our sufficiency is of God,” who “is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work” (2 Cor. 3:5; 9:8). As we serve him, we may exult that he says, “My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness” (12:9).

Third, God’s sufficiency can fill believers in Christ with hope as they anticipate their future inheritance with the King whose wealth is unimaginable. God has predestined the elect to enjoy “the riches of his glory” (Rom. 9:23). Christ, though rich, became poor so that “ye through his poverty might be rich” (2 Cor. 8:9) with “the unsearchable riches of Christ” (Eph. 3:8). God saved us and presently strengthens us through the riches of his glorious grace (1:7; 2:4; 3:16–17; Phil. 4:9). Though we bear the reproaches of the wicked and suffer temporal poverty, already we are rich in Christ (Heb. 11:26; Rev. 2:9), in whom “dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily” (Col. 2:9–10). In the coming ages, God will put on display “the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us” in Christ (Eph. 2:7). Then God will “be all in all” to Christ and his church (1 Cor. 15:28). The more Christians believe these promises, the more they will be filled with joy, peace, and hope (Rom. 15:13). They have God! He is enough."
Brakel, Brakel, and more Brakel.
Thank you for the recommendation, I have seen the book you mentioned come up in other threads, so it will go on my soon-to-read list.

Thanks, I think this also comes down to meditating, on what God has done for me and who He is.
This is actually something I wrote in my diary recently. Maybe it pertains:

There are the formalities of Christianity, and then there is a drawing close to God in strong desire, affections, love, and with passion and life. This can't really be explained, and the satisfaction of it really must be experienced. Through prayer, the Word, and worship, my life is satisfied in a way like nothing else can. It is really an experience and not so much a mental concept. Just do it. Desire God more than anything, and be personal and affectionate towards Him.
Amen!
What is interesting is that, for me, nothing excites my heart more than reading some theology book lol
It does excite me, too. Maybe I am overemphasizing the difference between head and heart?

Many years ago during a time of significant frustration with the church, I read Engaging with God, by David Peterson (whom I also like as a commentator). It is an excellent treatment from the full spectrum of scripture, and a reformed, redemptive-historical perspective that is also exegetical. You can see how much I liked it by my notes in the front page.

If anyone hasn't suggested it, I would recommend moving Knowing God up in the stack (yes ignore the obedience of the Son comment on pp. 54-55) - I have read this book a number of times over the decades and regularly refer back to it. The section on Romans 8 is excellent.

1676750444706.png

Many years ago during a time of significant frustration with the church, I read Engaging with God, by David Peterson (whom I also like as a commentator). It is an excellent treatment from the full spectrum of scripture, and a reformed, redemptive-historical perspective that is also exegetical. You can see how much I liked it by my notes in the front page.

If anyone hasn't suggested it, I would recommend moving Knowing God up in the stack (yes ignore the obedience of the Son comment on pp. 54-55) - I have read this book a number of times over the decades and regularly refer back to it. The section on Romans 8 is excellent.

View attachment 10056
Thank you, I was not aware of the David Peterson book!

Jason has already mentioned him, but anything by Octavius Winslow is crucial reading for those interested in vital religion; Hugh Martin is likewise similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back