Books Worth Revisiting Over and Over

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would add ‘The christians Daily Walk’ by Henry Scudder and include Bunyan’s Pilgrims Progress plus Calvin’s Institutes.

As I am new(ish) to Reformed Theology, I can't give many specific titles, but as I've been thinking about this topic, I've come up with categories. This may or may not be helpful as it is vague

1) Systematic theology (ex. Berkhof, Dabney, Hodge, Calvin, VanMastricht) or Biblical Theology (ex. Vos, Beale, Morales)-- This depends quite heavily on your niche and what is most beneficial to your immediate context
2) Practical theology: Puritan (ex. Bruised Reed, Godly Man's Picture, A Body of Divinity) or other Reformed figure before 19th century (ex. Calvin's Little Book)
3) Classic Fiction (ex. Chaucer, Dante, Bunyan, Percy, Vergil)
4) Philosophy (ex. Plato, Aristotle, Nietzche, Hume, Descartes)
5) Biography (your favorite theologian so that when you read him, you can appreciate the context and needs that he was adressing)
6) Your Confession and its related documents

Choose one work in each category and interact with the text itself then criticism (+ or —) of the text.

As I am new(ish) to Reformed Theology, I can't give many specific titles, but as I've been thinking about this topic, I've come up with categories. This may or may not be helpful as it is vague

1) Systematic theology (ex. Berkhof, Dabney, Hodge, Calvin, VanMastricht) or Biblical Theology (ex. Vos, Beale, Morales)-- This depends quite heavily on your niche and what is most beneficial to your immediate context
2) Practical theology: Puritan (ex. Bruised Reed, Godly Man's Picture, A Body of Divinity) or other Reformed figure before 19th century (ex. Calvin's Little Book)
3) Classic Fiction (ex. Chaucer, Dante, Bunyan, Percy, Vergil)
4) Philosophy (ex. Plato, Aristotle, Nietzche, Hume, Descartes)
5) Biography (your favorite theologian so that when you read him, you can appreciate the context and needs that he was adressing)
6) Your Confession and its related documents

Choose one work in each category and interact with the text itself then criticism (+ or —) of the text.

This is a helpful way to think about this, thank you!

This thread has been educating and convicting. The Westminster Standards are my most revisited works. I have a FOMO issue with spiritual writings that is more under control with secular works. There are several secular works that I've revisited multiple times over the years like Drucker's "The Effective Executive" and David Allen's "Getting Things Done." There are so many rich works in history of the church, it seems a "waste" to reread any. This thread has challenged that outlook sufficiently enough for me to rethink it.

Last edited:
In addition to many of the books already mentioned:

The Whole Christ - Sinclair Ferguson (I know this was mentioned but I am currently re reading it for the 3rd time! SO valuable)
The Expulsive Power of a New Affection - Thomas Chalmers (A sermon by Chalmers that never fails to convict and speak)

Everyone who is able should read the Greek New Testament multiple times a year. A chapter at breakfast, lunch, and dinner will have one reading it four times in a year.

Everyone who is able should read the Greek New Testament multiple times a year. A chapter at breakfast, lunch, and dinner will have one reading it four times in a year.
If only my Greek were good enough

I’ve completed 3 semesters in seminary, but I still have a bit of work to do before I can simply sit down and read. If you have any suggestions for bridging that gap I welcome them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back