Boston Churches - The Good, the Bad, and the Interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil D.

ὁ βαπτιστὴς
My wife and I recently had the opportunity to travel through New England, and like on most of our trips we enjoyed taking in sites with interesting architecture and history. Here are three Boston churches we visited.

Old North Church
  • Established/built as an Episcopal church in 1724. Is the oldest church building in Boston.
  • Was the location from which the famous "one if by land, two if by sea" signal was sent, April 18, 1775, to warn of approaching British forces, prompting Paul Revere's (among others’) legendary midnight ride.
  • Like so many New England churches, became and remains ultra-liberal
1634664170109.jpeg
1634664293459.jpeg

King's Chapel
  • Founded as the first Anglican/Episcopal church in New England in 1686, although the current structure was built in 1754.
  • Became Unitarian in 1785.
  • The King's Chapel bell, cast in England, was hung in 1772. In 1814 it cracked, was recast by Paul Revere and Sons, and was rehung. It is the largest bell cast by the Revere foundry, and the last one cast during Paul Revere's lifetime.
  • Remains ultra-liberal (as a close examination of the photo will sadly attest...)
tempImageCIIFVO.jpg

Park Street Church
  • Founded/built in 1809 by disenfranchised Congregationalists who wanted an evangelical church in Boston.
  • Edward Dorr Griffin (1770–1837) served as the first pastor and preached a famous series of Sunday evening sermons attacking the New Divinity (the latter being based on Edwardian experientialism and supportive of the Half-Way Covenant)
  • In 1826, Edward Beecher, the brother of Harriet Beecher Stowe and son of Lyman Beecher, became pastor.
  • On July 4, 1829, William Lloyd Garrison made his first major public statement against slavery here.
  • The church hosted the debut of "My Country, 'Tis of Thee", also known as "America", on July 4, 1831.
  • In 1857–58, Charles Finney held one of his revivals at Park Street.
  • In 1949, Billy Graham's first transcontinental crusade began at Park Street.
  • Harold J. Ockenga, notable theologian and co-architect of the Neo-Evangelical movement was the senior pastor from 1936 to 1969 (co-founded Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, Fuller Theological Seminary, the National Association of Evangelicals, and Christianity Today.)
  • Still holds to its original, simple but in itself sound Statement of Faith
tempImagelqoviB.jpg

While not a church, I risked life and limb to get this photo of a lighthouse in Maine, which I thought turned out particularly well...

1634665794124.jpeg

Attachments

• 1634665263379.jpeg
    1634665263379.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My wife and I made a similar trek about ten years ago and found the history fascinating and the present state lamentable. If my memory serves me right we actually attended the Sunday service at Old North Church out of curiosity and was aghast by what we saw/heard.

My wife and I made a similar trek about ten years ago and found the history fascinating and the present state lamentable. If my memory serves me right we actually attended the Sunday service at Old North Church out of curiosity and was aghast by what we saw/heard.
New England has been on our bucket list for a long time. Figured we'd take the opportunity now as it seems entirely within the realm of possibility that the likes of us may find ourselves most unwelcome or even banned for such things as opposing vaccination mandates, not supporting Biden, and... just being a conservative Christian.

The stunning devolution of many New England churches is indeed a dismaying cautionary tale. There were many classic picturesque New England churches that I couldn't bring myself to even photograph due to the overwhelming prominence of BLM and LGBTQ propaganda. In terms of evolution of belief, I couldn't help but notice that even with regard to a relatively conservative church like Park Street, they went from ardently opposing experientialism to hosting Finney in less than fifty years. I think we would all do well to soberly reflect on this human propensity to change with the times...

My wife and I recently had the opportunity to travel through New England, and like on most of our trips we enjoyed taking in sites with interesting architecture and history. Here are three Boston churches we visited.

Old North Church
  • Established/built as an Episcopal church in 1724. Is the oldest church building in Boston.
  • Was the location from which the famous "one if by land, two if by sea" signal was sent, April 18, 1775, to warn of approaching British forces, prompting Paul Revere's (among others’) legendary midnight ride.
View attachment 8503
View attachment 8504

King's Chapel
  • Founded as the first Anglican/Episcopal church in New England in 1686, although the current structure was built in 1754.
  • The King's Chapel bell, cast in England, was hung in 1772. In 1814 it cracked, was recast by Paul Revere and Sons, and was rehung. It is the largest bell cast by the Revere foundry, and the last one cast during Paul Revere's lifetime.
  • Remains ultra-liberal (as a close examination of the photo will sadly attest...)
View attachment 8505

Park Street Church
  • Founded/built in 1809 by disenfranchised Congregationalists who wanted an evangelical church in Boston.
  • Edward Dorr Griffin (1770–1837) served as the first pastor and preached a famous series of Sunday evening sermons attacking the New Divinity (the latter being based on Edwardian experientialism and supportive of the Half-Way Covenant)
  • In 1826, Edward Beecher, the brother of Harriet Beecher Stowe and son of Lyman Beecher, became pastor.
  • On July 4, 1829, William Lloyd Garrison made his first major public statement against slavery here.
  • The church hosted the debut of "My Country, 'Tis of Thee", also known as "America", on July 4, 1831.
  • Harold J. Ockenga, notable theologian and co-architect of the Neo-Evangelical movement was the senior pastor from 1936 to 1969 (co-founded Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, Fuller Theological Seminary, the National Association of Evangelicals, and Christianity Today.)
View attachment 8506

While not a church, I risked life and limb to get this photo of a lighthouse in Maine, which I thought turned out particularly well...

View attachment 8508
I was sort of expecting Trinity Church, too. If nothing else, its reflection is impressive in the all glass John Hancock building.

I was sort of expecting Trinity Church, too.
Yeah, the main reason we passed was Trinity's not in the main historical area of downtown Boston covered by the Independence Trail, or served by hop-on hop-off transportation. So when you only have one day in Boston, something has to give...

I was there most recently about 6 years ago. A good visit, but whitewashed tombs, on the whole, for sure.

Actually, I kind of like that old "corral" style seating. I assume those different sections were either purchased or rented?

The wife and I want to do a New England tour someday also. Her thing is lighthouses but I imagine we’ll visit a few churches though I have no expectation of the Gospel being proclaimed anywhere. It someways is like visiting other places on the planet. I want to see the past as much as the present.

The wife and I want to do a New England tour someday also. Her thing is lighthouses ... I want to see the past as much as the present.

I love history, my wife loves lighthouses. NE is great for both! Many years ago we started out planning some of our vacations with a view to accommodate both individual interests, but over the years we've grown to genuinely love what the other loves - imagine that! Sometimes I even do some kinda' crazy things to try and get good lighthouse pictures for her... Here are a few more lighthouses we saw in NE.

1634693456214.jpeg 1634693660582.jpeg 1634693822802.jpeg
1634694040321.jpeg

I love history, my wife loves lighthouses. NE is great for both! Many years ago we started out planning some of our vacations with a view to accommodate both individual interests, but over the years we've grown to genuinely love what the other loves - imagine that! Sometimes I even do some kinda' crazy things to try and get good lighthouse pictures for her... Here are a few more lighthouses we saw in NE.

View attachment 8509View attachment 8510View attachment 8511
View attachment 8512
Those are beautiful!

Old North Church
View attachment 8503
View attachment 8504

King's Chapel
View attachment 8505

Park Street Church
View attachment 8506

View attachment 8508
Very beautiful photos. Thank you for risking your life on that lighthouse photo for our mutual viewing enjoyment.

I see in the pictures of the 3 formerly conservative, currently liberal church buildings, a sobering lesson on the value of holding to a solidly reformed confession and the teaching of a reformed catechism.

even with regard to a relatively conservative church like Park Street, they went from ardently opposing experientialism to hosting Finney in less than fifty years.
The decline at Park Street can actually be seen a generation before Finney when they went from the gospel to a social justice ministry under Stowe and the 1829 speech by Garrsion.

My wife and just spent a few days in Boston over this past weekend, arriving back home last night. I too was struck by how many churches with such rich history are now adorned by Unitarian/Universalist/BLM/LGBTQ+ banners and flags. Such a shame.

Otherwise, it is such a fantastic place to spend some time exploring. I have been to almost every major city in the US and Boston is by far my favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back