Boston: The Best Rock Band Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidius

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
So I know I'm too young to know older rock bands as well as all you geezers on the PB, but I must say that Boston (at least on their first album) is my favorite!

[video=youtube;oB-gmuiFqgY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB-gmuiFqgY[/video]

The album titled 'Boston' is a masterpiece but 'Boston' never was a band. It was a musician named Tom Scholz and he did most of the recording in his basement.

BTW, am I a geezer because I wore out my 8-track of "Boston" to the point the other tracks started to bleed through?

So I know I'm too young to know older rock bands as well as all you geezers on the PB, but I must say that Boston (at least on their first album) is my favorite!

Geezers? Geezers? OK, so I have socks older than you. Big deal! I listen to Bob Dylan. Oops. I guess that makes me a Geezer alright you little whipper-snapper.

The album titled 'Boston' is a masterpiece but 'Boston' never was a band. It was a musician named Tom Scholz and he did most of the recording in his basement.

BTW, am I a geezer because I wore out my 8-track of "Boston" to the point the other tracks started to bleed through?

Yeah, aside from records, 8 tracks were the best way to experience rock, unless you had a reel to reel. Kids these days don't know what they are missing with this digital stuff. ;)

Boston one of the great bands alright. Certainly one of the greatest American Rock n Roll bands.

I like Def Leppard who many actually call the Boston of the 80s because of their employment of melody and harmony in a time when many were just loud and shriekish.

[video=youtube;VZ5bS3_BCDs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ5bS3_BCDs[/video]

Geezers? Geezers? OK, so I have socks older than you. Big deal! I listen to Bob Dylan. Oops. I guess that makes me a Geezer alright you little whipper-snapper.
I still have some LP's.....wonder if David has ever owned an LP?:lol:

I love my LP's. I still buy LP's when I can. There's nothing like placing the needle down on that twirling vinyl and waiting for the "show" to start.

TURN IT UP!!!

Definitely one of the great American bands. They can't touch Led Zeppelin but they are fun to listen to.

Interesting comment... I said the same thing a few years back when asked who I thought the greatest rock band was. One of my elders answered with Boston and I replied with Led Zeppelin...

Boston is great, though...

Pastor Steve, you are obviously a man of great perspicacity. I'm not a wide eyed, gushing Led Zeppelin fan (I'm a prog rock fan - DreamTheater is da' bomb) but over all Led Zeppelin has had the biggest and most enduring effect on rock and roll. The Beatles would be right in there, it's just that I wouldn't call them rock and roll in the edgy sense.

Is that the same thing as a record? I remember that when I was a kid I listened to my parents' Beegees, Boston, and Steppenwolf records. The only one I own is a Robert Goulet record a friend gave me because our favorite SNL skit is Will Ferrell as Goulet. But I don't have anything to play it. :D

Pastor Steve, you are obviously a man of great perspicacity. I'm not a wide eyed, gushing Led Zeppelin fan (I'm a prog rock fan - DreamTheater is da' bomb) but over all Led Zeppelin has had the biggest and most enduring effect on rock and roll. The Beatles would be right in there, it's just that I wouldn't call them rock and roll in the edgy sense.

BOB!!!
You Like Dream Theatre? I can never get enough of Images and Words. I've always been somewhat shamefully hesitant (as regenerate) to mention I still like some Zep tunes and given the nature of DT's lyrics sometimes, folks would wonder...but their music is very good.

I can't believe you mentioned them on the PB.:applause::bouncy:

My thoughts exactly. Boston was unique and by far their best. It was all rather ho-hum from there. They had commercial "hits" following but never with the same feel. In fact it was More Than a Feeling:lol:

I also say the same thing about Heart. Fantastic debut album but nothing equal to it afterward.

Any discussion of greatest American bands must include...

[video=youtube;i1TyIgIj20E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1TyIgIj20E&feature=related[/video]

We've discussed prog rock before, Don and Brad are big prog rockers.

DreamTheater is by far my favorite band in the history of the world. They are the definition of musicianship. They are the only band that I would endure the crowd and the volume to go see live. I did that back in August. The crowd was on it's feet the entire concert, there were young and old there, my 23 year old daughter went with me and she met the fellow I think she's going to marry. My 7 and 4 year old love the band - they can't get enough of Constant Motion and Prophets of War.

I have all of their albums and the dvd of Scenes From a Memory.

I love the way they pay tribute to other bands by mimicking their styles, for example, Prophets of War pays homage to Muse. Nobody does prog rock better than DreamTheater.

I do enjoy what I call the whole DT family (artist who work closely with DT members.) Neal Morse is my next big favorite, Jordan Rudess and Mike Portnoy have played on several of his albums.

Then of course there are the rest: The Dregs, Marillion, Transatlantic, Liquid Tension Experiment, OSI.

BOB!!!
You Like Dream Theatre? I can never get enough of Images and Words. I've always been somewhat shamefully hesitant (as regenerate) to mention I still like some Zep tunes and given the nature of DT's lyrics sometimes, folks would wonder...but their music is very good.

I can't believe you mentioned them on the PB.:applause::bouncy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back