Boston: The Best Rock Band Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And THE WHO!
My man! Who's Next has to be the best rock album of all time. :sing:

As for Boston they have some good songs, but overall they were down my list.

My favorites are more on the folk side (Bob Dylan, Judy Collins, Joni Mitchell, Stan Rogers, Steve Goodman, John Prine, John Renbourn, John Fahey, Chris Smither, etc.).

EDIT: I was at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame last week while on a trip to Cleveland - it was OK (Enjoyed the induction video the best). I realized halfway through that at least 50% of the people I grew up listening to are dead.

Last edited:
Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon was and still is the overall best rock album ever!

Pastor Steve, you are obviously a man of great perspicacity. I'm not a wide eyed, gushing Led Zeppelin fan (I'm a prog rock fan - DreamTheater is da' bomb) but over all Led Zeppelin has had the biggest and most enduring effect on rock and roll. The Beatles would be right in there, it's just that I wouldn't call them rock and roll in the edgy sense.

Have you heard Dream Theater's new "album" Systematic Chaos? It only has 8 songs on it, but some of them are close to 10 minutes. It is pretty cool. They certainly are one of the best prog rock bands around

One of my favorites:

[video=youtube;KiOqHLVxZvA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiOqHLVxZvA&feature=related[/video]

No one has mentioned The Allman Brothers? How can this be? They beat the pants off Boston (sorry, but they do)...maybe not Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin...well, maybe even Zeppelin...

No one has mentioned The Allman Brothers? How can this be? They beat the pants off Boston (sorry, but they do)...maybe not Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin...well, maybe even Zeppelin...

Well, this thread is for Boston.
music765.gif

Boston had a handful of enduring songs, had a great first album and sold millions of records but in my opinion they are not even in the Top 10. They are not in the same league with Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, Deep Purple, the Floyd, Sabbath, the Allman Brothers, Skynard, Santana, Hendrix, Dylan, Neil Young, the Who, the Doors, Cream, etc. They might be in the top 10 of bands that emerged in the 70's but even then have to take a back seat to Aerosmith, Van Halen, AC/DC, the Eagles, Bob Marley, ZZ Top and probably a few others.

Last edited:
Bob said: DreamTheater is by far my favorite band in the history of the world. They are the definition of musicianship.

Now you have crossed the line, sir. That you would ignore RUSH and THIN LIZZIE and absolutize DT as the objective measure of musicianship is absurd. :amen: Have you not heard Live and Dangerous? It's only the greatest live performance in history. What about Exit Stage Left? Is there a tighter live trio than RUSH?

P.S. Morse is all right, Petrucci is all right, but Satriani and Vai is where it's at!

P.S.S. :wwbd:

Bob said: DreamTheater is by far my favorite band in the history of the world. They are the definition of musicianship.

Now you have crossed the line, sir. That you would ignore RUSH and THIN LIZZIE and absolutize DT as the objective measure of musicianship is absurd. :amen: Have you not heard Live and Dangerous? It's only the greatest live performance in history. What about Exit Stage Left? Is there a tighter live trio than RUSH?

P.S. Morse is all right, Petrucci is all right, but Satriani and Vai is where it's at!

P.S.S. :wwbd:
:):):) RUSH fan right here! Best Rock Trio ever!:cool:

Pink Floyd without a doubt.

When I was an angst-ridden teen, I would storm in after school without speaking with my parents and flop myself in between two speakers in my bedroom to listen to "The Wall." Twenty years later it's on my Ipod as I commute to the office in a shirt and tie. :lol: My 16-year old self would hate me!

Last year I went to the Roger Waters concert, where in addition to doing stuff from the Wall et al, he did "Dark Side of the Moon" in its entirety. An amazing show. He's still able to pull it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back