Bowling - Small or Big?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
We took my oldest son bowling yesterday for his birthday. We played with the little balls, I guess they call it candlepin bowling. I was just curious what type of bowling is most common in your part of the country - do they use the small balls or the large balls, and which do you prefer?

Since I was raised in NJ, I'm more use to the big balls. I think I probably prefer the big ones, but the small ones are fun and challenging as well - I even managed to get in the 60's then in the 70's yesterday - not that good, but not too embarrassing.

alley.jpg

Can you see the ball in the picture? Its around 4.5 inches in diameter.

Originally posted by houseparent
Small balls? I've never heard of this. 60's and 70's? I am a terrible bowler and average about 110. :D
I'd guess that my highest game ever with the small balls is probably between 85 and 90, whereas with the large balls it was somewhere just over 200. It was a real eye-opener when I first tried the small balls and expected my scores to be the same as with the big balls.

One thing that's different and makes it interesting is that the pins you knock down aren't cleared away until the end of your turn (you get 3 throws), so you can use the pins that are down to help knock down the ones that are standing.

BTW, one of the main things I had to work on when adjusting to the small balls was my speed. With the big balls, I would usually throw the ball pretty hard and try and put a little hook on it. With the small balls, if you throw the balls hard and your timing is off, you can end up chucking the ball 3/4 of the way down the alley.

Candlepin bowling is a New England thing that I used to enjoy when we would visit. (I was born on the mission field. . . Maine. And we used to go check on the natives.) It is a whole different animal than standard bowling. When in college I bowled in leagues and carried a 240 -245 average. Candlepin? Around 90.

Originally posted by LawrenceU
Candlepin bowling is a New England thing that I used to enjoy when we would visit. (I was born on the mission field. . . Maine. And we used to go check on the natives.) It is a whole different animal than standard bowling. When in college I bowled in leagues and carried a 240 -245 average. Candlepin? Around 90.
Wow, it sounds like you were pretty good at both. And, yes, it is definitely a different animal.

Ok, I'll bite. Why do they call it candlepin. Are the pins different or just the balls. :bigsmile:

Originally posted by lwadkins
Ok, I'll bite. Why do they call it candlepin. Are the pins different or just the balls. :bigsmile:
Here's a little blurp from here.

In 1879 Justin White purchased a billiard and bowling establishment on Pearl Street in Worcester. Shortly after his purchase he discovered some unconventional bowling pins included in the purchase, one inch wood cylinders ten inches high resembling broomsticks, three inch wide cylinders resembling candles and some balls ranging in size from three to five inches. Because these pins made the game difficult and the scores low Justin knew he must make some changes or his future in the bowling business would be short lived.

Yes, both the pins and the ball are smaller than regular bowling pins/balls.

Originally posted by LawrenceU

Now, depending on when you were in college, anyone who carried a 240 average ought to have not ONLY been in college but on the Pro circuit. Not disputing yuor average but 240 is stratosphere for anyone! And I was going to offer my 213 average. Always second rate...:um:

Actually, I thought about going pro at one time. I used to bowl four to five days a week. After talking with some bowlers who were on the circuit I decided against it. It is not a very good lifestyle. And, I wouldn't have enjoyed 'having' to bowl. Now, all these years later. . . I haven't touched a ball in at least ten years. Now I chase little white balls around out of doors instead of hurling big black balls indoors.

I bowled from the age of 5 until 28. Developed a terrible temper and quit for 6yrs. Then, as a Regenerated man, my whole attitude changed and I took it up again...and had the best year of my life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back