Brand New Book on Covenant Theology

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
Dear Friends,

Everyone has consistently asked about a simple book that could explain covenant theology. The fact is - there is no book that does. Some books are out there that have attempted to explain the basics, but they seem to always deviate from the orthodox formulations and redefine Covenant Theology overall. On the other hand, there are the Auburn Avenue and Federal Visionists who have twisted Covenant Theology into a theological mess. We need a book that explains simply and easily how biblical Covenant Theology works, while at the same time demonstrating the truth of the old formulations that have stood the test of time. Something clear, accurate and simple is needed for the laymen in the church.

Look no further.

By the request of Reverend Rick Phillips, Chairman of the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals, I have have written an historically clear, biblically accurate, and simple overview of Covenant Theology for the laymen.

It is currently available in book form at this link:
www.puritanshop.com

Tell your pastors. Tell your friends. Tell those who have been inquiring. Covenant Theology does not have to be difficult. Here is a simple overview that remains biblically consistent, and true to the Westminster Confession of Faith.

Last edited:
Is this book supposed to replace, Christ of the Covenants as the book people recommend to learn about covenant theology?

CT

Its different than Robertson's book. it actually sustains the orthodox historical terminology of the covenants, as well as properly defining covenant as a pact or agreement, unlike Robertson's book. Its prupose is to be "the" replacement for that book in terms of bringing the church back to the WCF's interpretation of the Scriptures. Robertson departs from that.

Please pray that God would use this work. When I get it, I am going to deliver a copy to Pastor Rick Phillips who will in turn get it to Lig Duncan and then finally get it into mainstream sellers. Since the "pop" up of the New Perspectives and the Federal Vision, we need more books that help the laymen of the church understand the basics of Covenant Theology.

Waiting on 2 copies for Rick and Lig to send them. The books are VERY well done (I was even suprised).

[Edited on 3-1-2005 by webmaster]

Matt, at approximately 4pm(Central Standard Time) on March 1st, I placed my order for both books and am now full of anticipation. Counting the days...1,2,3 etc. Bob Chapman

Well I've read a great deal online... and I'm thankful Dr. McMahon pointed me to it last year when I inquired about NCT vis-a-vis CT.... I found it very helpful, as it is very erudite and perceptive, and soundly explains the continuity and unity of the covenants, the purpose of the law, and the most perfect New Covenant promises fulfilled by our Lord Jesus Christ. I'm sure he has improved upon it--- in print form. The Socratic Q&A dialogue is a nice touch.

If I cease being poor financially in the near future, and my cash flow situation improves, I'll happily add it to my library collection.

[Edited on 3-2-2005 by Puritanhead]

Ryan,

As a note, I revised it quite a bit. It has evolved and change since its been online (actually a couple of times). Some of the infroamtion was not needful, in other spots there needed greatler clarity, etc. Hopefully at this point it will be a good intro to CT.

I can't wait to get paid finally so I can order one! I might get one for my girlfriend who I am introducing to the whole CT realm of things (we were both raised dispensational to the core).

Originally posted by webmaster
Its different than Robertson's book. it actually sustains the orthodox historical terminology of the covenants, as well as properly defining covenant as a pact or agreement, unlike Robertson's book. Its prupose is to be "the" replacement for that book in terms of bringing the church back to the WCF's interpretation of the Scriptures. Robertson departs from that.

What does he basically define "covenant" as if not a pact or agreement? And when you say he departs from the WCF on the issue, what is one or more brief way(s) in which he does so?

Originally posted by Me Died Blue
Originally posted by webmaster

What does he basically define "covenant" as if not a pact or agreement? And when you say he departs from the WCF on the issue, what is one or more brief way(s) in which he does so?

Robertson defines a Covenant as a "bond in blood sovereignly administered." This definition has it's advantages, but I can see it's downfalls. He also redefines what the Westminster Confession calls the "Covenant of Grace" he terms the "Covenant of Redemption." He also calls the "Covenant of Works" the "Covenant of Creation."

I really like this book, but I also disagree with his redefining terms. The book also doesn't answer alot of my questions. I look forward to reading Matt's treatment, and after that, Witsius.

Chris, Jeff is right. His redefinition are why the book is not helpful. His ideas are actually "hurting the church" in moving them away from the "old way" and reinforncing the Federal Vision's "allowance" to "redefine terms". Both Robertson and Kline have good things to say, but thier "squabble" throughout the Westminster Theological Journal's articles are like a boxing match between deviants definitions. We need to get back to the HEBREW of word, instead of "theological ideas" that don't pan out.

We paid extra for the scent! :lol:

Yes, they do look very good and the quality is excllent. They do a great job in putting them together.

I love the smell. You just can't beat the smell of a new book.

Dear Math,

Have you also included in this book of covenant a chapter about baptism ? And are you planning (after all the discussions on the board) to publish a book about paedobaptism ?

Originally posted by Mayflower
Dear Math,

Have you also included in this book of covenant a chapter about baptism ? And are you planning (after all the discussions on the board) to publish a book about paedobaptism ?

Book 2 will cover some of those issues in-depth. this is a more basic outline overall.

Do you plan to publish mainstream? Like Seminaries and bookstores?

Yes, we are working on that right now.

Matthew,

Great book, got my copy a few days ago and I"˜m just now getting time to sit down with it. I´m only up to page 77 now but it is really pulling things tight for me. I´ve been studying this issue for quite some time and trying to lean as heavy on Scripture alone as I can. But my time is limited and mental capacity for that matter. This is pulling the knots tight that I already starting tying - kind of like a child learning to tie his shoes - you can get the form of the knots together but you need an adult to synch them up.

Oddly enough your old car (Ford Fairlane) analogy on page 65 discussing the adjective word "œnew" in Jer. Is one that I was using in my head about two months ago while driving to work thinking on that very issue; new = brand new Vs. new = refreshed/renewed. Except I was thinking in terms of "œfixing up" an old car, thus renewed and then being "œnew" in that sense.

I'm going to go through it with my wife.

Still reading!

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back