Breakfast of Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contains SOY :eek:
I almost put a comment about that in the original post, but declined, since that ain’t really what the soy-deBASED comments are pointin‘ at these days. In fact, a manly godly man of manly godly men up to which I look and for whom I have great esteem -our very own @VictorBravo- dabbles in soy cheffery.

I almost put a comment about that in the original post, but declined, since that ain’t really what the soy-deBASED comments are pointin‘ at these days. In fact, a manly godly man of manly godly men up to which I look and for whom I have great esteem -our very own @VictorBravo- dabbles in soy cheffery.
Would it be appropriate to end this by saying that I’m just…joshin’?

How do I report a moderator for posting something that causes me to envy, lust, commit gluttony in my heart, and entice all my deepest appetites?

Asking for a friend.
Cause?

But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. - James

A36D8C23-CB09-4FD5-9916-6F2B538EAF81.jpeg 53C525A2-D600-4377-813A-E578EE40E101.jpeg

A few steaks I’ve done. I try to go medium rare (all the way to the edge) and form a nice crust on the exterior, this can be tricky.

2F0D9A4F-DD2E-41BE-A803-BCE96595C215.jpeg I also highly recommend trying what is called a Double Smoked Ham for your main meat this Turkey Day. Pretty simple. Buy your normal smoked ham, garbage the included glaze, make your own glaze (I try to mix spicy/sweet), then smoke it low and slow until you get the safe internal temp. Finish is the broiler to make that glaze sing baby!

P.S. Missed the better photo, so the above is mostly eaten!

Was that done in a cast iron skillet?
Great question as I should have noted. I prefer my steaks cooked on a stovetop over a grill. I personally also prefer and use Stainless Steel over cast iron for my steaks because I can get the heat higher, quicker, and more evenly. The key to a great crust, in my opinion, is high heat stainless steel (oil to start crust, butter to finish with flavor bomb).

Great question as I should have noted. I prefer my steaks cooked on a stovetop over a grill. I personally also prefer and use Stainless Steel over cast iron for my steaks because I can get the heat higher, quicker, and more evenly. The key to a great crust, in my opinion, is high heat stainless steel (oil to start crust, butter to finish with flavor bomb).
This is helpful. I usually do my steaks on the grill, as high heat as it will go. The only other way I've done it is to take a cast iron skillet, get it super hot, sear the outside on the stove, and then finish it for a few minutes in the oven. Like you, I try to do it medium rare. Question: Does your method cause a lot of smoke? That's one reason I haven't done many steak in the oven, as it tends to smoke a lot.

This is helpful. I usually do my steaks on the grill, as high heat as it will go. The only other way I've done it is to take a cast iron skillet, get it super hot, sear the outside on the stove, and then finish it for a few minutes in the oven. Like you, I try to do it medium rare. Question: Does your method cause a lot of smoke? That's one reason I haven't done many steak in the oven, as it tends to smoke a lot.
An oven finish is also great, especially for those thicker steaks, and I use that tool as well. I use this when I have my crust perfect, but center is not right and I need to avoid burning exterior. I will even use a digital probe (heat resistant) in the steak when I oven finish to insure the best temp. Yes, it can get Smokey on the stovetop/oven method, especially if I do steaks for guest meaning I have to cook several batches. So have the fans going. In fall/winter I will even open a window and light a candle (to set the mood:cool:).

The grill is great, but you will not get the crust without a hard Sear. Once I found the crust from searing, I never went back. I only use the grill if I have very little time for clean-up and only a cheaper cut steak. T-Bone could excretion due to size, but I mostly roll with New York Strips (#1) and then Ribeyes (#2).

An oven finish is also great, especially for those thicker steaks, and I use that tool as well. I use this when I have my crust perfect, but center is not right and I need to avoid burning exterior. I will even use a digital probe (heat resistant) in the steak when I oven finish to insure the best temp. Yes, it can get Smokey on the stovetop/oven method, especially if I do steaks for guest meaning I have to cook several batches. So have the fans going. In fall/winter I will even open a window and light a candle (to set the mood:cool:).

The grill is great, but you will not get the crust without a hard Sear. Once I found the crust from searing, I never went back. I only use the grill if I have very little time for clean-up and only a cheaper cut steak. T-Bone could excretion due to size, but I mostly roll with New York Strips (#1) and then Ribeyes (#2).
I didn’t think Smeagol cooked anything.

I've had this for around 25 years. Good to use when it's raining or snowing outside. it smokes a lot, but I put in a pretty powerful range hood.

That's what I used last night:

skillet.jpg

That is my only beef (pun).
Let me give you my only beef. It is the Sabbath day here in New Zealand; I admit I got distracted with this post. The Puritanboard is designed to prevent people posting trivial things on the USA Sabbath day; unfortunately it does not work for people in a number of countries outside the USA. Likewise on Monday (New Zealand time), the USA is enjoying her Sabbath day, and I need to be sensitive to that. I raise this to point out a practical difficulty. It is difficult for the Puritanboard to account for the differnent times zones around the world. I ask my beloved brethren in other countries to be sensitive to this problem.

Let me give you my only beef. It is the Sabbath day here in New Zealand; I admit I got distracted with this post. The Puritanboard is designed to prevent people posting trivial things on the USA Sabbath day; unfortunately it does not work for people in a number of countries outside the USA. Likewise on Monday (New Zealand time), the USA is enjoying her Sabbath day, and I need to be sensitive to that. I raise this to point out a practical difficulty. It is difficult for the Puritanboard to account for the differnent times zones around the world. I ask my beloved brethren in other countries to be sensitive to this problem.
Brother, I don't wish to come across insensitively, but -to be clear- I posted this thread on Friday morning USA time.

Perhaps what I am about to say is a good topic for another thread, but since it was brought up here, and since I am a part of this thread, I feel it is appropriate here. I also want to preface this by emphasizing that I am appreciative and sympathetic of what you've said here.

Aside from the fact that, as Joshua said, this thread was opened well before anyone's Sabbath, I found this to be a strange request, albeit a sincere and kind one. The main issue I have is this: It is incumbent upon each of us individually, as given in the fourth commandment, to sanctify our own Sabbath in the way God commands. Although, again (and I cannot emphasize this enough), I feel deeply in my heart sincerity of my brother's request, I do not think it is anyone else's moral responsibility (the fourth commandment is part of the moral law) to sanctify someone else's Lord's Day Sabbath. Of course, we all should consider the needs of others above our own, especially within the household of faith. And I also understand the particular practical issue of Puritan Board being a worldwide forum, subject to probably every known time zone. But, the fact remains that in the US it is not the Sabbath.

Could I humbly suggest, dear brother, that if you find threads like these distracting on the Sabbath, perhaps for you Puritan Board is not the best place to spend any time on the Sabbath? Or is there any way not to click on links to these threads on the Sabbath? I suppose the moderators could shut down these subforums for the duration of the worldwide Lord's Day, but I just don't think it reasonable to shut down entire portions of Puritan Board for 2-3 days because it is the Lord's Day somewhere in the world.

I hope this post, like the one immediately above, is received according to the humility and genuine affection in which it was written and intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back