Breakfast of Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

I’m a soy boy because I make scratch teriyaki from time to time.

I try to restrain my pride, but it is a struggle.
Being that my wife is Asian, we predominantly eat homemade Asian cuisine, which contains many soy-based sauces. We will also eat Asian-inspired tofu dishes on occasion. So, I suppose I am one as well.

Last edited:
Brother, I don't wish to come across insensitively, but -to be clear- I posted this thread on Friday morning USA time.
Friday morning USA time is approx late Friday evening NZ time. We were not talking about Friday. My concern was about when a country came into the Sabbath day. If USA citizens posted stuff on Sat morning, it would still be Saturday in NZ. Just to be clear.
Aside from the fact that, as Joshua said, this thread was opened well before anyone's Sabbath
See above.
I found this to be a strange request, albeit a sincere and kind one. The main issue I have is this: It is incumbent upon each of us individually, as given in the fourth commandment, to sanctify our own Sabbath in the way God commands. Although, again (and I cannot emphasize this enough), I feel deeply in my heart sincerity of my brother's request, I do not think it is anyone else's moral responsibility (the fourth commandment is part of the moral law) to sanctify someone else's Lord's Day Sabbath. Of course, we all should consider the needs of others above our own, especially within the household of faith. And I also understand the particular practical issue of Puritan Board being a worldwide forum, subject to probably every known time zone. But, the fact remains that in the US it is not the Sabbath.

Could I humbly suggest, dear brother, that if you find threads like these distracting on the Sabbath, perhaps for you Puritan Board is not the best place to spend any time on the Sabbath? Or is there any way not to click on links to these threads on the Sabbath? I suppose the moderators could shut down these subforums for the duration of the worldwide Lord's Day, but I just don't think it reasonable to shut down entire portions of Puritan Board for 2-3 days because it is the Lord's Day somewhere in the world.

I hope this post, like the one immediately above, is received according to the humility and genuine affection in which it was written and intended.
Thank you Taylor for your respectful and kind response. I respect the loving tone.

You mention that it is incumbent upon each of us to sanctify our own Sabbath. I fully agree. But there is a problem. The Puritan Board closes some threads to enforce Sabbath observance. However this is predominantly a USA Sabbath observance. In practical terms this means I cannot post to certain threads on Monday (New Zealand time) because some threads are locked for the USA Sabbath observance. I have wanted to post some items and cannot. Thus the Puritan Board is forcing me to respect the Sabbath day of another country. See the problem? If your comment were to be consistent, I should be free to post certain items on a New Zealand Monday, though it is still the USA Sabbath. That is the pressing problem.

I do lean toward a worldwide shutdown; we should be consistent and have either a worldwide shutdown for the Sabbath day, or none at all. It would NOT be for 2-3 days as you suggest. New Zealand is the first country in the world to see the new day. We are 20 hours ahead of LA, 17 hours ahead of New York. That is less than one day. The United Kingdom is between NZ and the USA.

Because I have made a loving challenge to a Puritan Board policy, I will be accountable and 'report' my comments to the Moderators to discuss.

Friday morning USA time is approx late Friday evening NZ time. We were not talking about Friday. My concern was about when a country came into the Sabbath day. If USA citizens posted stuff on Sat morning, it would still be Saturday in NZ. Just to be clear.

See above.

Thank you Taylor for your respectful and kind response. I respect the loving tone.

You mention that it is incumbent upon each of us to sanctify our own Sabbath. I fully agree. But there is a problem. The Puritan Board closes some threads to enforce Sabbath observance. However this is predominantly a USA Sabbath observance. In practical terms this means I cannot post to certain threads on Monday (New Zealand time) because some threads are locked for the USA Sabbath observance. I have wanted to post some items and cannot. Thus the Puritan Board is forcing me to respect the Sabbath day of another country. See the problem? If your comment were to be consistent, I should be free to post certain items on a New Zealand Monday, though it is still the USA Sabbath. That is the pressing problem.

I do lean toward a worldwide shutdown; we should be consistent and have either a worldwide shutdown for the Sabbath day, or none at all. It would NOT be for 2-3 days as you suggest. New Zealand is the first country in the world to see the new day. We are 20 hours ahead of LA, 17 hours ahead of New York. That is less than one day. The United Kingdom is between NZ and the USA.

Because I have made a loving challenge to a Puritan Board policy, I will be accountable and 'report' my comments to the Moderators to discuss.
Thank you for the comments, brother. It helps me see this issue more clearly. Given what you describe, I would not be opposed to a "worldwide" shutdown. That makes sense to me now. At the very least, as you say, it is something the moderators should consider.

The Puritan Board closes some threads to enforce Sabbath observance. However this is predominantly a USA Sabbath observance. In practical terms this means I cannot post to certain threads on Monday (New Zealand time) because some threads are locked for the USA Sabbath observance. I have wanted to post some items and cannot. Thus the Puritan Board is forcing me to respect the Sabbath day of another country. See the problem? If your comment were to be consistent, I should be free to post certain items on a New Zealand Monday, though it is still the USA Sabbath. That is the pressing problem.
I can see how that is frustrating for you, Stephen. However, this is not a NZ site, nor a British one, so on and so forth. The only way the Puritan Board could be "forcing [you] to respect the Sabbath day of another country" would be if the Puritan Board were forcing you to make use of the Puritan Board. If the site, say, were created by a New Zealander, and that was its origin and primary orientation, that would mean I simply have to be careful in what I read, and withhold some posts until such a time as would be more appropriate. As a United States person, I would be okay with that. When I was in Spain some years back, I had to respect the Puritan Board hours, and that was fine. I am not aware of a country-egalitarian policy in place. However, if everyone wanted to just shut the site down for a full-country sabbath coverage amount of time, I'd be fine with that, too. I'm not the one that has the power to make such a decision. God speed, Brother, and enjoy the rest of your Lord's Day.

However, this is not a NZ site, nor a British one, so on and so forth.
It has become an International site. That was the point I was trying to make. Just to clarify something, I do try to respect the USA Sabbath day; the Sabbath day should be important to all Reformed Christians.
I am not aware of a country-egalitarian policy in place.
It is focused towards the USA

Oh and @Taylor, pork/chicken are 2 things I usually reserve for the grill. For my pork chops I go for thick and I cook in my electric smoker to an internal temp of 100F with Apple wood chips, then I pull out and sometimes will refrigerate to grill later that night. This allows me to throw on the grill as guest arrive so they are still fresh without have a long cook time. Pork is easy to overcook so I still probe on the grill: 45335F5D-283D-41A7-A664-1ABBD0613ADD.jpeg

I did find a better picture of the double smoked ham (you can do it!!!!):
113E4D91-9C14-4D9C-8B71-CCDACB45B6D8.jpeg

P.S. This all still fits nicely under breakfast of champions, as I have certainly eaten these items leftover for breakfast!

Breakfast of Champions (does make the Coffee seem a bit hotter)

View attachment 8582

Your chili recipe inspired me to begin the process of becoming a chili master. And you’ve shared pictures of countless other culinary adventures over the years. So I have no doubt that you are fully capable of making a Breakfast of Champions if you feel so inclined. However, a package of store bought beef jerky speaks more of desperation than it does anything else.

Your chili recipe inspired me to begin the process of becoming a chili master. And you’ve shared pictures of countless other culinary adventures over the years. So I have no doubt that you are fully capable of making a Breakfast of Champions if you feel so inclined. However, a package of store bought beef jerky speaks more of desperation than it does anything else.
It was given to me, unsolicited by myself. I didn’t pay for a single bit. ;) In fact, LORD willing, in a few weeks, I hope to bag a few tags and -perhaps- make some deer jerky.

Just to clarify the moderators decision, it was decided to stick with the status quo. A worldwide shutdown that catered for the Sabbath day for all countries was more complex than I realised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back