Brian McLaren shows true colors

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimV

Puritanboard Botanist
I understand in his new book he comes right out and says things like the God pictured in parts of the OT is "hardly worthy of belief, much less worship". Has anyone read A New Kind Of Christianity?

I don't think I'd bother reading, much less pay for something that I wouldn't deem worth using to wipe clean my cat's litter box.

I understand in his new book he comes right out and says things like the God pictured in parts of the OT is "hardly worthy of belief, much less worship". Has anyone read A New Kind Of Christianity?

It's hard to come up with a comment that fits McLaren's point of view, except that his perspective is sheer blasphemy. How in the world he thinks he is qualified to judge the God of Scripture in this way is beyond me. His remakrs reflect raw hubris of the ugliest and most wicked kind, and I fear for his eternal sould if this truly reflects how he views God.

When I heard about this Sunday I was actually glad, since even the densest, most ignorant Christians should be able to see him for what he is now. I've heard of one emergent church already here on the Central Coast that has distanced themselves from McLaren over the new book.

I was actually glad, since even the densest, most ignorant Christians should be able to see him for what he is now.

Tim,
You are far too optimistic about what the average Christian will swallow. There's a good reason that the mainline became what it is today. People are less educated on epistemological and philosophical matters today than they were a hundred years ago. Logic has given way to gleeful irrationality. The Emergent Church is retracing 150 years of theological decline in less than a decade.

Alistair Begg was right. Unless God comes in revival, this nation's religious life will look like Europe's in less than a generation. Only the landscape will be littered with empty sheetmetal buildings with pleasing facades instead of great cathedrals of stone.

I was actually glad, since even the densest, most ignorant Christians should be able to see him for what he is now.

Tim,
You are far too optimistic about what the average Christian will swallow. There's a good reason that the mainline became what it is today. People are less educated on epistemological and philosophical matters today than they were a hundred years ago. Logic has given way to gleeful irrationality. The Emergent Church is retracing 150 years of theological decline in less than a decade.

Absolutely... the number of people who can simultaneously listen to teaching from a Reformed covenantal perspective and at the same time listen to and enjoy the likes of Tim Lahaye and Charles Stanley alongside the Reformed perspective, thinking all of them to be compatible and consistent with each other (or not caring a whit about that) is utterly shocking and dismaying. The fact that McLaren and his ilk have such a growing presence is indicative that many people just aren't thinking anymore at all, and are willing to scuttle Scripture in order to defer to ideas that are more 'comfortable' in terms of their lovey-dovey "Precious Moments" pictures of God.

The good news? The emergent movement seems to be running out of steam, except in the "progressive" evangelical seminaries.
The bad news? Too many still consider McLaren an edgy "prophet" of sorts speaking "truth to power" about the silly old fashioned rationalistic eccentricities of orthodoxy.

After a good deal of probing analysis and self examination, I have attempted to look for something good in the man and concluded that there is something winsome and praiseworthy about Mr. McLaren . . . I really like his beard.

When I heard about this Sunday I was actually glad, since even the densest, most ignorant Christians should be able to see him for what he is now. I've heard of one emergent church already here on the Central Coast that has distanced themselves from McLaren over the new book.

This is a good point. Years ago McLaren was pretending to be a conservative who just wants us to love each other better. I read a couple of his books at that time, and even though I was a young, very ill-educated Christian, if he had ever written that he didn't believe in the resurrection or the penal substitution, I would have quit reading him much sooner.

From the review:

It wasn’t too long ago that I wrote about Brian McLaren and got in trouble. Reflecting on seeing him speak at a nearby church, I suggested that he appears to love Jesus but hate God. Based on immediate and furious reaction, I quickly retracted that statement. I should not have done so. I believed it then and I believe it now. And if it was true then, how much more true is it upon the release of his latest tome A New Kind of Christianity. In this book we finally see where McLaren’s journey has taken him; it has taken him into outright, rank, unapologetic apostasy. He hates God. Period.

Love it. It takes courage to say these things.

DH and I heard him speak a few years ago. The guy is a flat out marxist spewing Liberation Theology and it was nauseating.

The blog Dont' Stop Believing is doing a review of the questions that McLaren asks in the new book.
Pretty shocking stuff.

Calling the revelations brought to light by the reviewer as "pretty shocking" would be like describing a viral hemorrhagic fever such as Ebola as something that could make you sick!

Yikes! McLaren packages heresy in a user-friendly box so attractive to young seminarians. I'm with Todd in suggesting that for which it would be most useful.

Last edited:
It's hard to come up with a comment that fits McLaren's point of view, except that his perspective is sheer blasphemy. How in the world he thinks he is qualified to judge the God of Scripture in this way is beyond me. His remakrs reflect raw hubris of the ugliest and most wicked kind, and I fear for his eternal soul if this truly reflects how he views God.

Whenever I've seen him mentioned places, it lists him as an "activist and author" and not a preacher.

From the blog:

Postscript: some have asked why my reviews of A New Kind of Christianity have been critical. Isn’t there something positive to say about it? That’s a bit like asking, “Otherwise, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?”

:rofl:

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Whenever I've seen him mentioned places, it lists him as an "activist and author" and not a preacher.

My school's online student blackboard will occasionally have a C.S. Lewis quote about education, but inevitably they will mark the quote, "C.S. Lewis, Irish scholar and writer." Um...how about theologian? Perhaps if you're seeing McLaren mentioned in non-Christian sources, they may have just omitted "preacher" for political correctness.

Sounds like he's been rubbing elbows with John Shelby Spong. I cannot believe there are ordained men who read his books and articles and come away influenced to disregard the bible. I guess they never regarded it highly in the first place.

Can anyone answer Tim V's question? I would love to see where this quote (in context) comes from if it is true.

The problem with the accusations is that they do not refer to specifics. I hate this. I am not sorry for requiring such. I don't care about what other people say about other works if they have no references....... Give references. Solid Proof, is important. Come on you guys....... Give page references of written works or don't comment. It is just hearsay till then. Especially from blogs.

P.S. I am going to start deleting this stuff if it can't be identified. The Puritanboard is not a place of defecation upon those who hold to different views without reference. JHMO. I am tired of the stupid dumping on people.

Can anyone answer Tim V's question? I would love to see where this quote (in context) comes from if it is true.

No doubt about that Lawrence. I don't have a cat so I was definitely thinking in another direction.

Bob, I agree. I was thinking Todd was going to say something like wipe his window. That's how my mind operates. Pure as the wind driven snow.

No doubt about that Lawrence. I don't have a cat so I was definitely thinking in another direction.

Bob, I agree. I was thinking Todd was going to say something like wipe his window. That's how my mind operates. Pure as the wind driven snow.

We have a lot of people with colds around here so naturally I thought Todd was going to mention wiping one's nose.

My school's online student blackboard will occasionally have a C.S. Lewis quote about education, but inevitably they will mark the quote, "C.S. Lewis, Irish scholar and writer." Um...how about theologian? Perhaps if you're seeing McLaren mentioned in non-Christian sources, they may have just omitted "preacher" for political correctness.

Lewis would have said that he was not a theologian.

The fact that McLaren and his ilk have such a growing presence

How influential is he actually? A handful of churches in cities? Hundreds of churches in agreement, or thousands? Or lots of quasi Christian colleges using his books? I'm curious about hard numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back