Burroughs volumes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marrow Man

Drunk with Powder
I stopped by the Christian Book Nook (our locally-owned bookstore here in Louisville) this afternoon to pick up a commentary I had ordered. I checked the used bookshelf and noticed the owner had volumes by Jeremiah Burroughs (Ligonier/Soli Deo Gloria Gospel Life Series). There were about $10 apiece. Two or three of them hadn't even been opened (the spines were still tight)! I already owned Gospel Worship, but I picked up the other four volumes. I'm starting on Gospel Fear this evening.

You can pick up the Gospel Worship for me. I will get you back. That is a good price. I am sure I will be passing through there sometime.

I'll see if it is still there, Randy. I remember after I got home that I forgot to pick up a couple of small books for two sets of friends of ours with young children. Always looking for an excuse to go!

I was thinking about passing through on Wednesday or Thursday but it may be the next week after on Monday the 2nd now. Thanks Tim.

Are some of these SDG editions out of print? There is a store near me that has some, but they are at about full price, around $20 apiece or perhaps a dollar or two cheaper. The copies that RHB has in stock, including shipping, probably end up being the same price considering the cost of gas to get to this store. But I don't know what SDG titles are in print and which ones are not.

The last time I was there I did see a used copy of Irenicum. Much of what they have are from prior to Ligonier's aquisition of SDG. The last time I was there I got a copy of the SDG edition of Kevan's The Grace of Law, along with Trouble of Mind and the Disease of Melancholy​.

I do figure that some of the books they have there are out of print if not hard to find. It would not surprise me to learn that they've had some on the shelves going back to the 90's. But I figure I've spent too much $$ there this year already and I've already got too many books to fit in my bookshelves.

No doubt Louisville as well as any other city that has at least one solid seminary is an excellent place to shop for used books. With the exception of some good bargains at the NOBTS bookstore from time to time, I haven't had that kind of success here in the New Orleans area. But there are several places in the Quarter that I haven't checked and those are the best used bookstores in the area.

Gospel Fear is a strange concept to many today, even many who would consider themselves Reformed, broadly speaking.

I had an older SDG copy of Gospel Worship that I acquired at the same store, and it might be the out-of-print edition. I actually paid more money for it (about $14) that these! These volumes are possibly a newer edition from Ligonier. The inside typesetting, etc., looks basically the same, but they have these snazzy new covers.

Randy, I ran by there this morning and bought you the extra copy of Gospel Worship.

Just picked up Burroughs' "The Evil of Evils" from SDG ...great stuff.

I used to have that one but sold it to someone on this board. I might be offering some for sale soon, but probably nothing of that kind. Most of the ones I'd be most willing to part with no one here would want :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back