Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Bushey

Puritanboard Commissioner
Anyone a fan of Cage fighting?

fight_large.jpg

underground.jpg

[Edited on 10-15-2005 by Scott Bushey]

Definately a fan. My dad was always into fighting. I remember when I was little, my dad would get on his knees in the living room and teach me how to throw different punches. I'd always wait for him to get home from work so we could "fight."

I have a ton of cage fighting tournaments on tape/dvd. UFC, Extreme Fighting Championship, World Combat Championship, No Rules Champions, Caged Combat, King of the Cage, etc. I'd have to say that my favorites are the Pride Fighting Championships.

Anyone have any favorite fighters?

I like Renzo Gracie, Randy Couture, Igor Vovchachin, Frank Shamrock

oh man, I can't believe that I forgot Marco Ruas. He's definately a favorite. I remember seeing him fight for the first time in UFC 7. He won each match differently. He's very well rounded.

Have you seen his student Pedro Rizzo? He's pretty awesome too. Good stand up skills. I loved watching him knock out Tank Abott.

Originally posted by Scott Bushey
Anyone a fan of Cage fighting?

It is a joke. I have watched a few of the fights, as well as parts of the horrible The Ultimate Fighter. It is a bunch of whack jobs that get their kicks out of beating others to a pulp. The talent is mediocre at best.

For those who would say that I am simply a chump, or afraid of the fight: My squad leader in the Marines was a devotee of Gracie. We spent many mornings on the mats for the purpose of training. I have a respect for the art, but despise the fights as a means of entertainment. Watching men be pummeled into the mat is no reason to cheer.

Japanese Prowrestling fan here.:D

Can`t really stand American wrestling.

[Edited on 10-16-2005 by Average Joey]

This is barbaric. In my opinion it has no place in the life of a Christian. It is modern day gladiator fighting minus the thumb up or down. Lest anyone think I'm a wussie you should know that I've been taught more about putting someone on the ground with my hands than most. It is for battle, not to entertain others.

And, this 'sport' is a far cry from boxing. There are rules to boxing. Those rules are designed to prevent the pulverizing of the contestants.

I have a mixed review. I hate the violence and the infliction of damage that is inherent to the sport.

But on the other hand, I like the real-life application of this type of martial arts vs. other types of "tournements" because only in the cage with the exclusion of all the "can't do this/can't do that" type of rules, can a fighter know what REALLY works in a fighting application.

A fight can go anywhere: on the ground, in the air, use of knees, elbows, kicks to the legs, etc. These guys have to be prepared for it all so it leads to the ultimate in effective fighting.

But lastly, I think this type of entertainment breeds violence in society as more people are drawn to the popularity of being able to enforce their will upon others. Cage fighting, pro-wrestling, and video games all lead to a callousness towards violence and injury upon others and I think we'd be better off without it.

(That being said, I guess I'm a hypocrite because as an owner of L.A. Boxing we're intimately tied into the sport and its promotion. We have several fighters that we train and promote, including Tito Ortiz, and Erin Toughill)

A requirement for elders as found in 1 Timothy 3 is that he be:

"not violent.....but gentle, not quarrelsome"

The term "violent" means a brawler or one who loves to fight.

Since this is the standard for godly manhood, sports like this for the purpose of entertainment are simply beyond the scope of living a godly life.

I am with Lawrence here! Bad form to endorse, emmulate, participate, and encourage such behavior.

Phillip :scholar:

[Edited on 10-16-05 by pastorway]

Originally posted by pastorway
A requirement for elders as found in 1 Timothy 3 is that he be:

"not violent.....but gentle, not quarrelsome"

The term "violent" means a brawler or one who loves to fight.

Since this is the standard for godly manhood, sports like this for the purpose of entertainment are simply beyond the scope of living a godly life.

I am with Lawrence here! Bad form to endorse, emmulate, participate, and encourage such behavior.

Phillip :scholar:

[Edited on 10-16-05 by pastorway]

Oh, but you forget that this requirement is one of the lesser important ones. What REALLY matters is that we have our theological ducks in an airtight row. A pious and godly character is secondary to adhering to the right doctrines with a high degree of precision. That's why cage fighting is ok, people on the board have tried to justify using cuss words, people defend drinking like it is necessary for life, etc... Sigh.... :worms:
(Of course, these people will deny what I've written... but that's precisely because a sound theology HAS to "say" that a godly life is critical.) ;)

[Edited on 10-16-2005 by SolaScriptura]

What gets me in this stuff is how some people drag prayer in and seek God's blessing. I also think it is stupid to pray for one team to beat another in football.
I caught my youngest son praying for God's favor at a football game. It made me cringe. I am not sorry to say that I don't believe winning a match is as important as much as how we win or lose. God would have us lose sometimes so that we can be humbled and loving. God would have us win so that we may be good sportsmen loving those we have just played against. These fights usually just promote a selfwilled pride over an opponent.
I do believe we should be ready to fight at any time but not for the sport of being victorious and claiming God has made us better than them. I do love sports and the challenge of an opponent but am confused sometimes to how Christ is glorified in them.

Ultimate Fighting doesn't seem to glorify God In my humble opinion.

Here we go again:

Mat 11:12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.

G973
βιαστηÌÏ‚
biastēs
bee-as-tace'
From G971; a forcer, that is, (figuratively) energetic: - violent.

1Ti 3:2 Then it behooves the overseer to be blameless, husband of one wife, temperate, sensible, well-ordered, hospitable, apt at teaching;

G4131
πληÌκτης
plēktēs
plake'-tace
From G4141; a smiter, that is, pugnacious (quarrelsome): - striker.

Main Entry: pug·na·cious
Pronunciation: "p&g-'nA-sh&s
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin pugnac-, pugnax, from pugnare to fight -- more at PUNGENT
: having a quarrelsome or combative nature

Accurately, the term striker or violent (in 1 Tim) implies a attitude of being quarelsome; it is not physical. Compare that with the Greek 906 'strike'

Mar 14:65 And some began to spit on him and to cover his face and to strike him, saying to him,

Totally different words...........

How many of you have watched "Braveheart" more than once? Matrix? The Chronicles of Riddick? Plattoon? etc. etc. etc.

Football? Boxing? Wrestling? How many of you that are in leadership are argumentative from time to time?

[Edited on 10-16-2005 by Scott Bushey]

Originally posted by puritancovenanter
What gets me in this stuff is how some people drag prayer in and seek God's blessing. I also think it is stupid to pray for one team to beat another in football.
I caught my youngest son praying for God's favor at a football game. It made me cringe. I am not sorry to say that I don't believe winning a match is as important as much as how we win or lose. God would have us lose sometimes so that we can be humbled and loving. God would have us win so that we may be good sportsmen loving those we have just played against. These fights usually just promote a selfwilled pride over an opponent.
I do believe we should be ready to fight at any time but not for the sport of being victorious and claiming God has made us better than them. I do love sports and the challenge of an opponent but am confused sometimes to how Christ is glorified in them.

Ultimate Fighting doesn't seem to glorify God In my humble opinion.

1Co 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

there is some of a difference between fantasy and fiction (movies) and two guys beating the sense out of each other to fuel the audiences desire for blood. Though we should be cafeful and discerning whether it is real or fiction.

That does not mean that cage fighting is not the gladatorial ring of today.

And yes, the word in 1 Timothy 3 has physical conotations. He is not to be violent and then in the next verse he is to be gentle and not quarrelsome. There are 2 requirements here that are different from one another.

One speaks of delivering blows physically, the other verbally. And a man of God is to do neither!

I am literally taken aback that this stuff would be promoted on this board by no less that one of its owners. I am honestly shocked that an attempt is being made to JUSTIFY cage fighting.

Phillip

I disagree; the term does not have physical connotation.

I guess your premise about having a weapon in your home is null and void as it begets violence.

Luk 22:36 Then He said to them, But now, the one having a purse, let him take it; likewise also a wallet. And the one not having, let him sell his garment, and let him buy a sword.

Pro 18:6 A fool's lips walk into a fight, and his mouth invites a beating.

Pro 19:29 Judgments are prepared for scorners, and blows for the backs of fools.

I have no desire for blood when I watch the cage. There are referees. In fact, there are more deaths in boxing matches. In fact, it is the grappling I am interested in.

If you take a look at the rules, and have ever actually watched a round it's clear that the safety of the competitors is paramount. Never have I seen and unfettered pulverizing being allowed. Anytime an opponent is put into a position that he cannot defend, be it by knockout, submission or left defenseless, the match is halted. There is a difference between no-holds-barred and mixed martial arts competitions.

http://www.ufc.tv/learnUFC/rulesUfc.asp

I believe what we enjoy here on the board can be compared to any civilized competitive sport.

Originally posted by dkicklig
If you take a look at the rules, and have ever actually watched a round it's clear that the safety of the competitors is paramount. Never have I seen and unfettered pulverizing being allowed. Anytime an opponent is put into a position that he cannot defend, be it by knockout, submission or left defenseless, the match is halted. There is a difference between no-holds-barred and mixed martial arts competitions.

http://www.ufc.tv/learnUFC/rulesUfc.asp

I believe what we enjoy here on the board can be compared to any civilized competitive sport.

Exactly. The last cage event I saw had 15 bouts. Of the 15, 1/2 went to the mat. The other were by knockout in less than a minute. Of the 15 three were bloodied; one cauliflower ear exploded, one bloody nose and the other was a small cut under the eye.

The refs are very concious of safety; it is not some free for all as some would want you to believe.

It's been a few years but 3 of my friends and I used to get together and train in this type of fighting. We would practice stand up and ground skills. We would walk away at the end of the night with bruises and scrapes but always friends. We enjoyed the physical activity and the competition. I have been in a few real fights but not in years. I never think of going out on the street and starting or looking for fights. I do however, love it as a sport. I believe many that are involved in mixed martial arts have the same attitude.

Question: Am I a "brawler"?

I guess your premise about having a weapon in your home is null and void as it begets violence.

Preparing oneself for Protection and the protection of his household is a totally different thing.

The refs are very concious of safety; it is not some free for all as some would want you to believe.

:ditto: In fact, I've seen some fights where it was stopped too soon because of the ref being cautious. I can't recall any fights that had really serious injuries. It's much safer than boxing. In boxing, you can't tie up your opponant and take him to the ground to avoid getting repeated blows to the head. I think there's more serious injuries in hockey. A small cut on the head can look bad but doesn't mean the fighter is really injured.

I also appreciate the fact that after the majority of the fights, the guys help each other up, shake hands, hug, and are pretty humble. Alot of them actually train together. (of course there are exceptions)

[Edited on 10-16-2005 by Scot]

Preparing oneself for Protection and the protection of his household is a totally different thing.

I disagree. If someone breaks into your home, and you have to shoot them, this is a form of violence. Wars are violent! Capital punishment is violent.

Main Entry: vi·o·lent
Pronunciation: -l&nt
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin violentus; akin to Latin vis strength -- more at VIM
1 : marked by extreme force or sudden intense activity

My having a weapon in my home shows that I acknowledge that at one moment, if need be, I will utilize violence in protecting my family.

From Wikipedia:

"Certain forms and degrees of violence are socially and/or legally sanctioned, while others constitute crimes within a specific society."

"Violence in sports involves intentional aggressive violence. Competitive sports, such as football, basketball, and baseball may involve aggressive tactics, but actual violence in sports falls outside the boundaries of good sportsmanship. Contact sports such as American football, ice hockey, rugby union/league, boxing and wrestling involve certain levels of physical violence, but include restrictions and penalties for excessive and dangerous acts of force. Violence in sports may include threats, verbal abuse, or physical harm and may be carried out by athletes, coaches, fans, spectators, or the parents of young athletes."

I disagree. If someone breaks into your home, and you have to shoot them, this is a form of violence. Wars are violent! Capital punishment is violent.

Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin violentus; akin to Latin vis strength -- more at VIM

My having a weapon in my home shows that I acknowledge that at one moment, if need be, I will utilize violence in protecting my family.

From Wikipedia:

"Certain forms and degrees of violence are socially and/or legally sanctioned, while others constitute crimes within a specific society."

"Violence in sports involves intentional aggressive violence. Competitive sports, such as football, basketball, and baseball may involve aggressive tactics, but actual violence in sports falls outside the boundaries of good sportsmanship. Contact sports such as American football, ice hockey, rugby union/league, boxing and wrestling involve certain levels of physical violence, but include restrictions and penalties for excessive and dangerous acts of force. Violence in sports may include threats, verbal abuse, or physical harm and may be carried out by athletes, coaches, fans, spectators, or the parents of young athletes."

I didn't say it wasn't violent. I just said it was different than what you are portraying. If someone violates my space they shall know violence if they are intending harm upon one of my loved ones. I am not against violence per se. Just senseless unGodly violence. And as I stated above I am a bit confused on the line of distinction. Ultimate fighting seems a bit to much.

From Wikipedia:

I didn't say it wasn't violent. I just said it was different than what you are portraying. If someone violates my space they shall know violence if they are intending harm upon one of my loved ones. I am not against violence per se. Just senseless unGodly violence. And as I stated above I am a bit confused on the line of distinction. Ultimate fighting seems a bit to much.

Randy,
Have you ever been to or watched an event? Not just clips, but a whole event?

Status
Not open for further replies.