Calling All Huguenots

Status
Not open for further replies.

jawyman

Puritan Board Junior
Can any tell me the benefits of joining the National Huguenot Society. Also, they are very specific about lineage. In my family I have several ancestors that have Huguenot names and one that actually died in La Rochelle, France in 1703. I know that La Rochelle was a Huguenot stronghold during the Wars of Religion in France. Would this be enough to claim Huguenot ancestry? My whole family is Reformed. Thank you.

I have been told that I have Huguenot blood. Does the Society do geneology searches as well?

I have been told that I have Huguenot blood. Does the Society do geneology searches as well?

The website http://www.huguenot.netnation.com does not say. However,
the membership application requires you to go back 15 generations. I know my family history that far back, but of course there were a lot Catholics mixed in there as well. Most of my family settled in Québec and New France denied Huguenots entry, but several names in my family seem to denote Huguenot ancestry. Because I am French/Québecois and Reformed, I consider myself a Huguenot.

The National Huguenot Society is a very helpful organization. One generally must first become a member of one's state Huguenot society which bequeaths automatic membership in the National society, or, if there is not a state-level society in existence, then one may become a member-at-large.

The membership requirements are extremely onerous. Membership is "by invitation," although for many, those seeking membership actually initiate the process by contacting the local / national organization first. In any case, the real membership requirements are spelled out at the website and they do involve a laborious documentation process. The key thing, besides documenting the lineage, is to end up with an officially-approved Huguenot ancestor. There is an online-listing of official Huguenot surnames on the website, but it is not complete. The Society publishes more complete listings for a fee. There are also ways to research whether a name is of Huguenot origin on your own or with help from various websites and other internet or library resources. There are cases where one may be able to document a reference that shows one's ancestor was in fact a Huguenot even if they are not currently on the list of official names. As far as I know they don't directly do the research for you, but they are usually helpful in my experience if you contact them with broad questions. Then all of the information must be submitted and approved.

As far as the benefits, the National society has annual meetings in Washington, DC (a few blocks from my office), and state societies have regular meetings for members too. Members are eligible for they or their children to get educational scholarships. One usually joins to promote the goals of the society (ie., appreciation of Huguenot history and values, networking with like-minded individuals, etc.).

There was a strong Huguenot presence in Canada at the beginning of French immigration there. There is some general information on that here (slide show).

I wrote an article about my own genealogical research leading to the French Huguenot connection which is found here.

I got an interesting phone call about 2 weeks ago; someone writing a book about the Bessette family. He told me my first ancestor to New France was sent by Louis XIV (if I remember right) to assist in fighting the Indians.

He said there was a slight chance the Bessettes were originally from Scotland and traveled to France when they were persecuted (I don't know for what, and he said he hasn't verified this). So, who knows.

Anyway, he told me I'm related to "Blessed" André Bessette. The few Bessettes that I've known all been Roman Catholic. :banghead:

So, I'm French -- but things don't look too good for being of Huguenot lineage. The Reformation continues in my family. :cheers:

I got an interesting phone call about 2 weeks ago; someone writing a book about the Bessette family. He told me my first ancestor to New France was sent by Louis XIV (if I remember right) to assist in fighting the Indians.

He said there was a slight chance the Bessettes were originally from Scotland and traveled to France when they were persecuted (I don't know for what, and he said he hasn't verified this). So, who knows.

Anyway, he told me I'm related to "Blessed" André Bessette. The few Bessettes that I've known all been Roman Catholic. :banghead:

So, I'm French -- but things don't look too good for being of Huguenot lineage. The Reformation continues in my family. :cheers:

My knowledge of that era of history is admittedly sketchy, but if they were being persecuted in Scotland and fled to France, they were probably Romanists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back