calling men father

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

Puritan Board Graduate
In Matthew 23:9, Christ enjoins us from calling men on earth our father. Some people use this against, say Catholic priests, from using the title father. How does one deal with 1 Tim. 1:2 and similar passages? 1 Tim. 1:2 expresses an idea corollary to the use of father. Paul calls Timothy "my true son in the faith." Similarly in 1 Cor. 4:15, Paul says this to the congregation: "Even though you have ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel."

Below are Calvin's comments on 1 Tim. 1:2. Does anyone else have other explanations?

This commendation expresses no small praise. Paul means by it, that he owns Timothy to be a true and not a bastard son, and wishes that others should acknowledge him to be such; and he even applauds Timothy in the same manner as if he were another Paul. But how does this agree with the injunction given by Christ, (Matthew 23:9,) "œCall no man your father on the earth?"

Or how does it agree with the declaration of the Apostle,

"œThough ye have many fathers according to the flesh, yet there is but One who is the Father of spirits." (1 Corinthians 4:15; Hebrews 12:9.) 2

I reply, while Paul claims for himself the appellation of father, he does it in such a manner as not to take away or diminish the smallest portion of the honor which is due to God. (Hebrews 12:9.) It is a common proverb "œThat which is placed below another is not at variance with it." The name father, applied to Paul, with reference to God, belongs to this class. God alone is the Father of all in faith, because he regenerates us all by his word, and by the power of his Spirit, and because none but he bestows faith. But they whom he is graciously pleased to employ as his ministers for that purpose, are likewise allowed to share with him in his honor, while, at the same time, He parts with nothing that belongs to himself. Thus God, and God alone, strictly speaking, was Timothy´s spiritual Father; but Paul, who was God´s minister in begetting Timothy, lays claim to this title, by what may be called a subordinate right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back