Calvary Chapel - Is it cult or schismatic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raderag

Puritan Board Sophomore
Here are some quotes from Chuck Smith, founder of Calvary Chapel:

Before you say, that this is just baptist government, consider that Pastors are not elected, but appointed, and Chuck Smith "appointed" himself. in my opinion, they are almost orthodox in their doctrine, but their ecclesiology is almost cultish. There is no Church membership, which means only the Pastor has any say in anything. The Pastor in fact is only loosely accountable to the denomination which seems to be run by one man, Chuck Smith. There are no elders or deacons so the Pastor can do whatever he sees fit. At least in a Baptist Church, he is accountable to the members. In the cc, there are no members.

I believe that God's model is that the pastor is ruled over by the Lord and recognized by the congregation as God's anointed instrument to lead the church, with the board guiding and directing.(p26)

It is my belief that everybody should be a deacon. (p26)

However the Board members got together afterward for a special board meeting. They called me the next morning and wanted to know just what I thought I was doing, and they let me know that they didn't want me to do it again. At the time, I thought, "Well, I thought this might be my lifes ministry. But it won't be. I'm not going to be under these kinds of restrictions. I must be open to be led by the Spirit.(p29)

We believe that God's model is that the pastor is ruled by the Lord and aided by the Elders to discover the mind and will of Jesus Christ for His Church.(p29)

This is just from a cursory reading from his book. He doesn't mention that the Pastors are appointed (he says called), not elected, and that the elders actually have no power. Once again, the ecclesiology is bankrupt, and structured like a cult. That is not to say that CC is actually a cult, but the door is open for a tyrant to lead it that way. The elders have NO power(In other words, they are not elders), members (there actually aren't any) have no power, only the Pastor have power. Where do they get their power? It is my judgment that they get it from the founder of this movement. If you read the book, you will get a sense that Chuck Smith is lording power that he was not meant to have. Calvary Chapel is just another outgrowth of the modern fallacies in Chruch ecclesiology. It is schismatic.

Here are some more quotes from his "œChurch".

http://www.teachtheword.com/the_ministry_of_an_elder.htm

Throughout the writing, the term "œassisting pastor" is used most frequently in place of the more common "œelder", or the increasingly common "œassociate pastor." This is done primarily to communicate the fact that in reality there is only one pastor in a church. Calvary Chapel of Costa Mesa is one of the largest churches in the world, attended by over 30,000 people each week, with a staff of 250 people. But there is only one pastor of Calvary Chapel and his name is Chuck Smith. The rest of us are there to assist him in the ministry to which God has called him. Hence, we are elders, our job is to assist the pastor. Moreover none of us at Big Calvary were hired because Pastor Chuck needed our expertise. We are there simply because Pastor Chuck does not have the time to do it all. If the church were smaller, we would not be needed.

18. The Only Reason You Are There is Because The Senior Man Doesn´t Have Time To Do It All Himself
Pastor Chuck does not need me or any one else on his staff, as far as I know. He could run the Bible college far better than I could. He could run the Conference Center far better than I could, too. But he´s busy. He oversees a huge ministry that reaches out to millions of people, and he can´t be everywhere at once. So, he has elders to help him out. We are extensions of Pastor Chuck. Our duty is to run our assigned areas of ministry exactly as Pastor Chuck wants them run, just as he would run them if he had the time to do so.
Some elders mistakenly believe that they´ve been retained for their great expertise. They think they are of tremendous worth to the ministry. But God doesn´t really need any of us. He chooses to use us because He´s gracious and kind, knowing that doing so will bless us. There is nothing worse than an elder who is seeking to build his own kingdom, trying to establish his own little empire within the ministry. Don´t build on the senior man´s foundation. Assist him. Support him. Help him. Ease his burden. Help carry his load.
Don´t think too highly of yourself. Watch out that you don´t become impressed with yourself. Take with a grain of salt all the praises of well meaning people. Remember that the only reason you are on staff is because God has so blessed another man´s ministry that he now needs help. It is God´s ministry, through the senior pastor. It is not your ministry.

20. Keep The Pastor Informed About Absolutely Everything
The Pastor needs to be told everything. He cannot oversee the ministry without data. Senior pastors hate surprises in their ministries. Tell the pastor all about the people in the congregation. Tell him what´s happening at the meetings he doesn´t attend. Tell him how the Sunday School is going, what the youth group is doing, and the latest missionary efforts. Leave no stone unturned. Tell him everything.
Be the eyes and ears of the ministry. Listen to what the people are saying. Pick up on the attitudes of the staff and the leadership. Watch people to see who serves diligently and who goofs off. Be a narc for Jesus. Squeal on people. Narc on the guy who litters the parking lot. Tell the pastor everything. Absolutely everything.

46. The Church Is Like A Ship
Jesus is the Lord High Admiral of the fleet. Your pastor is the Captain of your vessel. You are responsible to your Admiral and to your Captain to care for the entire crew¾their morale, their spiritual health, their souls. Watch over them diligently. Don´t fall asleep on watch. Report everything to the Captain. When the Captain is off the ship, keep her steady as she goes.
Keep in communication with the Admiral for orders. Obey the orders of the Admiral and the Captain instantly and unquestionably, unless the Captain orders you to do something opposite of what the Admiral has commanded. A smooth ship runs on discipline, obedience, diligence, so be disciplined, obedient, and diligent. Keep her headed properly.

How do you know if the Captiain gives you an order against the Admiral. Must the Captian tell you?

[Edited on 19-1-2005 by raderag]

Is one definition any better than the other? Cults are schismatic, yet not all schismatics are cults. Neither are otrthodox churches and today I see them as synagogues of satan. This is not to imply that everyone involved there is to blame...........

Originally posted by Scott Bushey
Is one definition any better than the other? Cults are schismatic, yet not all schismatics are cults. Neither are otrthodox churches and today I see them as synagogues of satan. This is not to imply that everyone involved there is to blame...........

Would you say then that CC is a synagogues of satan?

Calvary Chapel is not a cult. They might be schismatic, but they are no more a cult than the local Assembly of God church. As many problems as the CC has, we should refrain from using such strong language to describe our Christian brethren. And they are our brethren in Christ Jesus. Bad ecclesiology doesn't exclude you from the kingdom. Christ blood does atone for the errors we make in our theology.

Originally posted by luvroftheWord
Calvary Chapel is not a cult. They might be schismatic, but they are no more a cult than the local Assembly of God church. As many problems as the CC has, we should refrain from using such strong language to describe our Christian brethren. And they are our brethren in Christ Jesus. Bad ecclesiology doesn't exclude you from the kingdom. Christ blood does atone for the errors we make in our theology.

It isn't just bad ecclesiology, but cultish ecclesiology. Nevertheless, I am inclined to believe that they are believers.

Here's a few items to begin with.

They do not function as a biblical church.
They are non denominational
THey are independant of Christs church
They have no membership
The leadership is not biblically ordained
Unbiblically ordained individuals are passing the sacraments
They instruct the common man and woman to pass the sacraments at home.
They do not practice biblical church discipline
They do not hold to the regulative principle
They are Semi Pelagian in their theology
They forsake placing the sign upon their children, hence cutting them off from Gods graces (to an extent).

Originally posted by luvroftheWord

I disagree Craig. Bad ecclesiology does exclude. Were the anabaptists our brothers and sisters?

[Edited on 1-19-2005 by Scott Bushey]

Keep in mind, we are not talking of what God does with even the deficient, but if it is correct. God is assuredly saving people there. That does not mean what they do is correct.

Originally posted by Scott Bushey
Here's a few items to begin with.

They do not function as a biblical church.
They are non denominational
THey are independant of Christs church
They have no membership
The leadership is not biblically ordained
Unbiblically ordained individuals are passing the sacraments
They instruct the common man and woman to pass the sacraments at home.
They do not practice biblical church discipline
They do not hold to the regulative principle
They are Semi Pelagian in their theology
They forsake placing the sign upon their children, hence cutting them off from Gods graces (to an extent).

Some of those would indicate hetrodoxy, but perhaps some of them much worse.

Scott,

I disagree Craig. Bad eccesiology does exclude. Wewre the anabaptists our brothers and sisters?

And:

Keep in mind, we are not talking of what God does with even the deficient, but if it is correct. God is assuredly saving people there. That does not mean what they do is correct.

Your comments contradict each other. If God saves people in the CC, then they are our brothers and sisters, and so were the anabaptists that God saved. But if your first statement is true, then God isn't saving people int he CC because they are excluded by their bad ecclesiology. But if this is not what you are talking about, then in what way were the anabaptists not our brothers and sisters?

Craig,
Possibly we are speaking past each other. When I say "CC", I am speaking of the organization. The organization is illicit. What they teach is illicit. Their doctrine is illicit. Their ecclesiogy is illicit. My opinion, this is the main component taht they err in. Everything they do subsequent to that ruins the stew. In these ways, the organization is at odds with Gods church; hence it is not part of our family. There are people within the illicit nature of this organization which are saved and being saved by Gods plan. Illicit or not, nothing will divert Gods plan. These individuals are family. Clearer?

Tha anabaptists were not our brothers and sisters in that they rejected Gods church and went their own ways and doing their own thing......They left orthodoxy for the unorthodox. They abandoned Gods ways for their own, essentially building a golden calf for themselves.

CC churches are breeding houses for error and heresy. They do not even deserve to be considered a "church." Rather, its like a giant bible study where it revolves around a free for all on doctrine and ideas.

Are people saved OUT of the fellowship? Yes. But that's inspite of their "motivational sessions".

I have a friend here, a couple, who go to Calvary in Ft. Lauderdale. They are coming to understanding the doctrines of grace and other important ideas about the church, and will have to ultimately leave the giant bible study for a real church later on.

So, along with previous posts, I would classify them biblically as neither schismatics nor synagogues of Satan. Its just a big bible study that attempts to study the bible, but often fails at it.

What thier people need is to fall in love with thier bibles and read it daily. They need a good kick int he biblical pants.

Now don't get me wrong - I think the pastors there are sorely decived and false teachers, especially the head CEO. He has taught, propagated and adopted some of the vilest heresies that have been seen throughout the history of the church. He denies the faith subtly (and unknowingly sometimes) and thinks that "Love Jesus and do what thou wilt" is the whole of the law.

If you ask me what I think would be best for Calvary Chapel bible studies, I would say, burn them down. Send the people to churches that care about the Scriptures and not about whether they are running a corporation or not.

Matt,
How can we not call them S.O.s if in fact the leadership is deceived? They are not orthodoxically a church. They pass the sacraments illicitly, etc. etc. etc.??

Matt,
As I have said at least 3 times prior to this post (and I know you're busy so you probably havent read it) I am not speaking of the people as much as the organization and it's leadership.

The WCF says:
The purest Churches under heaven are subject both to mixture and error; and some have so degenerated, as to become no Churches of Christ, but synagogues of Satan. Nevertheless, there shall be always a Church on earth to worship God according to His will.

Is not this a accurate description?

Originally posted by webmaster
The teachers - definitely.

What about you sitting there 8 years ago - were you one of the devil?

What about if an angel of light mesmerizes me one day and I sit under him. His theology is just viral enough to infect me. Am I sitting under the devil, and I one with him?

Did Calvin see the anabaptists as one w/ the devil?

[Edited on 1-19-2005 by Scott Bushey]

WCF:

The purest Churches under heaven are subject both to mixture and error; and some have so degenerated, as to become no Churches of Christ, but synagogues of Satan. Nevertheless, there shall be always a Church on earth to worship God according to His will.

Agreed. Based on this, and the obvious Scriptures that accompnay this, I would have to say that CC has degenerated into this.

On the other hand CC gets people used to expository preaching and systematic Bible study. I know several new believers who are really growing in their walk with the Lord at a local CC church. Would I attend? No. But neither will I at this time offend a weaker brother over matters of ecclesiology.

Every church has problems. I mean have you not heard about these Presbyterian guys denying justification by faith alone and teaching some new "federal vision" and "new perspective" stuff? Maybe the Presbyterian churches are illicit and we should flee them and call them the devil that they are?

My point? Don't lump the entire population of CC attenders into a camp that has a sign on the gate on which is written "Synagogue of Satan". There is some good going on in the CC movemeent, and given time people with either reform it or leave it.

Let's try to look at the positive for once. I know its hard for us rightly really wholly and only reformed, but with God all things are possible.

Praise God that Christ is being preached!

Phillip

Did you hear about Calvin when he got to heaven? He rounded the conrner on the way to his mansion to check in and thought for sure he had taken a wrong turn and ended up in hell instead. Turns out his next door neighbor was an anabaptist.

:eek:

Not all anabaptists were so bad as several people on this forum keep painting them. The history and theology presented and the blanket statements made are unfair to them and to history.

You know, Presbyterians may be the frozen chosen, but they are not the only people going to heaven.

Phillip

one more and I'm done.....I'm in a wacky mood tonight.

Did you hear about the Presbyterian legalist fundamentalist KJOnly burn the anabaptists and anyone who agrees with anythign they ever wrote, preached or thought? He thought for sure that the verse "many are called but few are chosen" was proof that there would only be a few people from his own church with him in heaven as all the rest of the world attended synagogues of satan or worse!

The name of his church?

The Church of the Only Way Righteous and Holy, Properly Signed, Sealed, and Delivered, Theologically Correct on All Points WCF Adhering Chosen Few.

Of course they removed the word "delivered" from the name when they feared that someone might mistake them for a charismatic congregation.

All the humor I have for now.......not pointed at anyone in particular but at us all in genenral! What a universalist I have become......

Phillip

Pastor Way is in a wacky mood tonight.

How refreshing.
dgd.gif

Originally posted by pastorway
You know, Presbyterians may be the frozen chosen, but they are not the only people going to heaven.

True, but of course we'll all be Presbyterians once we get there! :D

Originally posted by turmeric
Don't you know we Reformed have truly found perfection and are entirely sanctified?:banana::banana::banana:

The irony is, as soon as someone says that they begin sounding Wesleyan!

Pastorway, you started scaring me when you brought the anabaptists into it...

(I'm gonna go faint from dejavu now...might even have nightmares tonite)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back