Calvin’s Commentaries (Logos) On Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is the trouble I have with programs like Logos. They charge you large sum for something you can access free online. Someone will say, "Yes, but what if you don't have access to the internet?" I rarely have that problem and when I do, I have Calvin in print! I think I paid $120 for the 22 volume print edition. When I think of paying this kind of money for an electronic file, it makes my a little sick. But then, I'm a Luddite by nature.

This is the trouble I have with programs like Logos. They charge you large sum for something you can access free online. Someone will say, "Yes, but what if you don't have access to the internet?" I rarely have that problem and when I do, I have Calvin in print! I think I paid $120 for the 22 volume print edition. When I think of paying this kind of money for an electronic file, it makes my a little sick. But then, I'm a Luddite by nature.

Not that I don't appreciate a good hot take, but it looks like the majority of Logos resources are not available for free elsewhere. One could easily use the free software and add only paid resources that seem to be of good value, i.e. not ones you already have in print.

Someone will say, "Yes, but what if you don't have access to the internet?"

The Bible software I downloaded on my Kindle a few years ago had a free download of Calvin's Commentary, so I can easily access it without an internet connection.

When I think of paying this kind of money for an electronic file, it makes my a little sick. But then, I'm a Luddite by nature.

I certainly understand this. It's the main thing (besides being a general bibliophile) that stopped me for a long time from investing in Bible software. However, I view it this way. I am not just buying the resource itself; I am also buying the things that necessarily come with an electronic resource—insane searching capabilities, the ability to write endless notes on even a single word, the fact that I can transport literally thousands of resources in my back pocket wherever I go, etc., etc. When I considered this, I eventually caved to selling many of my multivolume works (and many others) and re-buying them (sometimes cheaper than in print) in Bible software.

At the same time, I still love physical books. There are trade-offs.

You could make lemonade from lemons. Download publicly available resources, OCR them if needed, then import them into the software. Most will automatically add any Scripture links, too. That said the software will not hyperlink to related topics in the imported resource like Logos will do to put many things at your fingertips a mouse click away, as noted by Taylor above.

insane searching capabilities

This is key w. Logos. Thats what they are charging for...not so much the data itself. Many titles can be had for a lot less otherwise; if u can find it elsewhere, one can download it to your computer and upload it to the Logos program under 'personal books' and can be used w/ their search functions.

Hypothetically, if I was going to get a base Logos package that included Calvin's Commentaries in the future, would it behoove me to buy this now? I know they have dynamic pricing, so the price of the base package would be reduced if I already bought resources contained in it. Would I save money buying it at 50% off?

Hypothetically, if I was going to get a base Logos package that included Calvin's Commentaries in the future, would it behoove me to buy this now? I know they have dynamic pricing, so the price of the base package would be reduced if I already bought resources contained in it. Would I save money buying it at 50% off?

I don't know, but I have had good experience with their chat support, wouldn't hurt to ask them.

Would I save money buying it at 50% off?

No.

Most books included with base packages are discounted at more than 50%. Dynamic pricing is not based on what you paid for those books, but on their value in the base package.

Buying a base package that has books you want is the best way to acquire those resources.

Last edited:
Hopefully you are getting a student discount if you are taking a course somewhere at a seminary, too.

Well, first, I am no longer in seminary (and I didn't know there is a student discount!). Second, I'm not sure if I would qualify anyway because the Logos account is technically my mother's, although I use it the most.

I purchased the lot of them for $20 last Christmas at Olive Tree. For what it's worth, Olive Tree is cheaper and easier to use; and meets my needs as a seminary student.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back