Not open for further replies.

Solo Christo

Puritan Board Freshman
Anyone else love these guys?

cah.jpg

calvin.jpg

Evolution.gif

doom.gif

I think the only way C&H could have been a better cartoon, would have been if Bill Watterson had actually been a Calvinist.

My take on the greatest commentary comix (post 1980):
(philosophical, not practical--I can think of some suberb parenting/real-life comix, but that's a different class)

in no particular order:
Far Side (gone, either you loved it or hated it, either way it was unforgettable)
Bloom County (gone, Outland is not nearly as good)
**Calvin and Hobbes** (gone)
Dilbert (human nature being what it is, will this guy ever run out of material?)
and my new favorite: Get Fuzzy

Yeah, Calvin & Hobbes is cool! Dilbert's a favorite too. And Peanuts - I read the baseball ones when I / my softball team is doing poorly. :) And Get Fuzzy rocks!

Get fuzzy is hilarious! I have a siamese and it is soooo true. Check out comics.com. they will email you a comic a day to your email...

Calvin and Hobbes is classic, as is Farside.

Comics that are still around today, that I love:

Foxtrot (I really think the guy who does the strip monitors my Instant Message conversations - the next days strip is always about something I just was talking about).

Dilbert

and my new personal fav: Pearls Before Swine.

Also, PVPonline is pretty funny. For example:

pvp200505104ov.gif

[Edited on 5-18-2005 by sastark]

pearls before swine (i love the gators)
non sequitor
dilbert
in the bleachers
bloom county

classics
far side
calvin and hobbes

Calvin and Hobbes, to me, is the best comic strip of all time...I have all the collectable books and am beginning to read them to my six and four year olds..and they love it!!!

Calvin and Hobbes, to me, is the best comic strip of all time...I have all the collectable books and am beginning to read them to my six and four year olds..and they love it!!!

When I was a student at the Word of Life Bible Institute (ah, how fondly I recall my Arminian days), one of the profs would show a Calvin N' Hobbes strip on the overhead before class. Another prof, not be outdone, would show a Far Side strip. The comic relief made church history a whole lot easier to sit through.

Last edited:
Quick question: besides the odd predestination quip, I don't see much that would suggest that he was like *the* Calvin. And yet I've read many places that say that M. Cauvin was indeed the model for comic strip Calvin.

Any background from you C/H-ophiles?

Quick question: besides the odd predestination quip, I don't see much that would suggest that he was like *the* Calvin. And yet I've read many places that say that M. Cauvin was indeed the model for comic strip Calvin.

Any background from you C/H-ophiles?

Here is what Bill Watterson says about it.

Calvin & Hodge

Calvin and Hobbes is my favorite as well.

Second, and a very close second is Farside.

G&P,

-Calvin and Hodge

Given the disappearance of "Calvin and Hobbes" and "The Far Side," I am grateful for the appearance of "Pearls Before Swine."

Helooooo Zebba Neighba!

Also, best non-vocal cartoon character ever: Bill the Cat!

Yesterday's Lio gave a nod to Calvin and Hobbes and other great strips of the past. Only the good die young.

The Houston Chronicle "build your own comics page" is the best way to consume comics online that I've found. Unfortunately they are missing some of my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back