Calvin, Covenant Theology and the Sabbath

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does Calvin's Covenant theology affect his understanding of the sabbath?

I am not sure the two actually are exclusively tied together unless one shares a common hermeneutic concerning the law and grace. I actually know people who hold to a CT that believes in the main framework of Ct.... CofR, CofW, CofG. They still are not sabbatarians. It is a hermeneutic that differs on what Ceremonial, Civil, and Moral Law boundaries one adheres to.

Does that make any sense?

I am certainly not the most studied on this subject but I have always felt the book of Hebrews (chap 3 and 4) teaches that the sabbath rest is not a specific day but resting from dead works by faith in Christ. If we place our faith in Christ then we enter the sabbath rest of faith.

(Hebrews chap 4)1Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us fear lest any of you should seem to have failed to reach it. 2For good news came to us just as to them, but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened.3For we who have believed enter that rest, as he has said,

"As I swore in my wrath,'They shall not enter my rest,'"

although his works were finished from the foundation of the world. 4For he has somewhere spoken of the seventh day in this way: "And God rested on the seventh day from all his works." 5And again in this passage he said,

"They shall not enter my rest."

6Since therefore it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the good news failed to enter because of disobedience,

As a result the NC does not have a specific sabbath day. I would think that this would have something to do with Calvin's view if he doesn't believe in a Sunday sabbath

Calvin's Institutes Book II, Chapter 11 (The Difference Between the Old and New Testament) is instructive regarding his view of the covenants of scripture, particularly with the comparisons and contrasts he draws between the Old and New.

If I could draw an analogy, which you folks may regard as totally lame if you like, and it won't offend me...

In the Old Covenant, God set up various ceremonies and other "artificial" constructions in the outworking of the administration of his Covenant of Grace. I use the word "artificial" reverently, and I hope my meaning is clear -- the types and shadows are not important in themselves, it is what is typified that is important.

So for example, God elected the physical seed of Abraham to be his visible people, seemingly ignoring the other nations. Did he choose them because the Jews were superior to all other people? No, this restriction was a temporary type and shadow of something else. (resumed below)

11. The fifth distinction which we have to add consists in this, that until the advent of Christ, the Lord set apart one nation, to which he confined the covenant of his grace. Moses says, “When the Most High divided to the nations their inheritance, when he separated the sons of Adam, he set the bounds of the people according to the number of the children of Israel. For the Lord’s portion is his people; Jacob is the lot of his inheritance” (Deu_32:8, Deu_32:9). In another passage he thus addresses the people: “Behold, the heaven and the heaven of heavens is the Lord’s thy God, the earth also, with all that therein is. Only the Lord had a delight in thy fathers to love them, and he chose their seed, after them, even you, above all people, as it is this day” (Deu_10:14,Deu_10:15). That people, therefore, as if they had been the only part of mankind belonging to him he favoured exclusively with the knowledge of his name, depositing his covenant, as it were, in their bosom, manifesting to them the presence of his divinity and honouring them with all privileges. But to say nothing of other favours, the only one here considered is his binding them to him by the communion of his word, so that he was called and regarded as their God. Meanwhile, other nations, as if they had had no kind of intercourse with him, he allowed to wander in vanity not even supplying them with the only means of preventing their destructions viz., the preaching of his word. Israel was thus the Lord’s favourite child, the others were aliens. Israel was known and admitted to trust and guardianship, the others left in darkness; Israel was made holy, the others were profane; Israel was honoured with the presence of God, the others kept far aloof from him. But on the fulness of the time destined to renew all things, when the Mediator between God and man was manifested the middle wall of partition, which had long kept the divine mercy within the confines of Israel, was broken down, peace was preached to them who were afar off, as well as to those who were nigh, that being, together reconciled to God, they might unite as one people. Wherefore, there is now no respect of Jew or Greek, of circumcision or uncircumcision, but Christ is all and in all. To him the heathen have been given for his inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for his possession (Psa_2:8), that he may rule without distinction “from sea to sea, and from the river unto the ends of the earth” (Psa_72:8).
12. The calling of the Gentiles, therefore, is a distinguishing feature illustrative of the superiority of the New over the Old Testament.​

When Christ came, this ethnic distinction, this dividing wall of hostility was broken down, and all peoples are now freely invited under the gospel to that feast with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, the wedding supper of the Lamb.

Similarly, in the Old Covenant, God selected one day out of seven, the Sabbath Day or Saturday, to be sanctified above the others. However, when Christ came, the apostle Paul explains that the Sabbath was merely a shadow of things to come, and now a Christian who regards every day alike does not sin.

But in Calvin's Sabbath view as expanded by him on the other thread in the Institutes quote, we have not thrown anything of value away. The important element in the Jewish Sabbath observance was the spiritual signification behind the sign -- resting in Christ's work for salvation. Similarly, when the Jew/Gentile distinction was abolished, we didn't lose anything of true value. To be physically descended from Abraham was a type of the spiritual descent Paul talks about in Galatians -- the "family characteristic" of the faith of Abraham.

And if I could stretch this already somewhat lame analogy to near the breaking point... :^)

There were a few Gentiles who were permitted to fellowship with God and to the joining of themselves to his people in the OT; similarly, there were days other than Saturday that were considered and observed as if they were Sabbaths (e.g. Yom Kippur, as we discussed recently on another thread). But now the gospel is preached to every man, and every day is a Sabbath or a Yom Kippur, i.e. to be marked by our celebration in the clear light of the New Covenant gospel -- resting in the Messiah for our salvation and full forgiveness of sins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back