Calvin: Le Docteur de la Kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

calvinich

Puritan Board Freshman
In his excellent portrait of John Calvin, The Humaness of John Calvin, Richard Stauffer has two interesting quotes of Catholic "insults" against Calvin.

I say "insults", because they may tread the fine line between an insult and a compliment.

They are historical quotations from the vitriol of "Jacques Desmay, vicar-general of the diocese of Rouen".

• John Calvin is "the author of a religion of the table, the stomach, the fat, the flesh, the kitchen”
  • "In [John Calvin] the whole reformation only tendeth to “establish the reign of wine, women and song”

I hope, if I ever do get insulted, that the insults go something like that! "Wine, women, and song"... something is missing, I knew it, books!!!

I figured many of the viewers of this board would get a real kick out of this. Just to say it again, Stauffer's short book is a real master piece. It shows John Calvin as father, pastor, friend, bachelor, and matchmaker! :] The "friend" part is really good, because it shows Calvin's heart to a degree and is good to show that he was not just some sort of one-dimensional person, as some of his enemies suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back