Calvin & Luther singing in a glorious Choir - Watson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

Puritan Board Graduate
:cool:In a time where the visible Church has much splitting, I found this quote my Thomas Watson (HTBS) to be a sweet meditation this Lord’s Day. May it be a blessing for you as well. From pg. 76 - 77 of the 2020 Paperback Reprint by Soli Deo Gloria Publications:

In that blessed kingdom there shall be freedom from divisions. In this world God's own tribes go to war. Ephraim envies Judah, and Judah vexes Ephraim. The soldier's spear pierced Christ's side—but the divisions of saints pierce his heart. Christ prayed that all his people might be one, as he and his Father are one, Jo. 17:21. But how do Christians by their discords and animosities go about with all their power to frustrate Christ's prayer! But in the kingdom of Heaven there is perfect love, which as it casts out fear, so it casts out strife. Those Christians that could not live quietly together here, in that kingdom shall be united. There Calvin and Luther are agreed. In that celestial kingdom there shall be no vilifying or slandering one another, no raking into those sores which Christ died to heal. Christians who could not pray together, shall sing together in that glorious choir: there shall not be one jarring string in the saints" music.

Amen!

Beautiful quote Grant. What book is this from?
Heaven Taken by Storm. Agreed it was a sweet reminder to me this day! I have enjoyed this book more than my recent completion of Burroughs Jewel of Christian Contentment. I hope to gift this book to many of my friends in the future.

Heaven Taken by Storm.
Great, that is helpful. Note, your original post says HTBS. You might like to expand that so others know. Heaven taken by storm is one of my favourite books and in some ways nice background for Gurnall's "The Christian in Complete Armour".

Talking of Heaven taken by storm, this book has a great chapter on meditation. Watson expands this in his book "Christian on the Mount". One of the best books on Biblical meditation I have read :)

Heaven Taken by Storm. Agreed it was a sweet reminder to me this day! I have enjoyed this book more than my recent completion of Burroughs Jewel of Christian Contentment. I hope to gift this book to many of my friends in the future.
Thank you for sharing, Grant. This is indeed edifying stuff. I I just loved Burrough's book--what a help it is to the growing faith. Will have to see about getting me a copy of Storm's book too. The ceasing of all divisions in the church is a glorious thing to look to since discord is of Satan. To dwell with all our brothers and sisters in Jesus in complete unity, when we all will perfectly understand the full counsel of God surely must be a foremost hope of all those who love the Lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back