Calvin's Commentaries on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a great price!!!

I bought them last month from the local Cokesbury bookstore. They had them for $225 and I had a 33% off coupon that took off $75, so I would up paying $150 + tax.

I would have defenitely waited if I knew they were going to put them this cheap.

How long do you think they will be at this price? It will be a whiel before I can transfer that kind of money to my checking account

I have seen them at $99 two other times in the last year at CBD.

If you can't get them, then don't fret, they'll likely be back.

The other thing is that you can find them all for free on www.ccel.org

I got mine for something like $140, so it sounds like a great deal to me. There is a local bookstore here that originally had the set at $1000, marked them down several times and now they are still around $350. Goes to show you how the internet has effected the retail world.

BTW, the Old Testament translation is noticeably better than the New Testament in the Baker version. Just thought someone would like to know.

It was a long time ago, but I belive mine cost me $199 so sounds like a great deal to me.:2cents:

Whenever CBD puts them on sale for $99 it is only for about 2 weeks... there have been a couple times I wanted to get them, but by the time I had the money (my next pay check) they were off sale! Doh!
Providentially, I was just paid on Friday... so when I saw this - thanks Hermonta - I placed my oder last night. I just received an email confirming that CBD has shipped my order!

Like Fred suggested, CCEL is a fantastic source. I use it all the time. What I typically do there is find the location of whatever topic I am wanting to read about and then I go to the book. I hate doing prolonged reading on the computer (it hurts my eyes) but I like how quick it is to find things.

"The other thing is that you can find them all for free on www.ccel.org "

Yes, this is great. It is searchable and does not take up allot of space.

*sigh* It just so happens that I am currently unemployed and looking for a job. So, I decided to apply for a credit card in an attempt to take advantage of that awesome CBD offer. If I miss the CBD special, I will try Amazon.com, where they are offering the same set for less than $130.

Originally posted by ChristianTrader
Deals now dead, the price is back to 250.

If you are a member, it is still $99. If you still want them, I would recommend spending the $5, become a member and get them cheap!

I bought mine about a year or two ago for $99. I love Calvin!

Calvin's commentaries back on sale:

Calvin's Commentaries Coming Again at Record Prices

Two years ago Baker Books printed over 12,000 sets of Calvin's
Commentaries and they sold out all sets and thus are doing yet
another printing. Solid Ground Christian Books is excited to announce
a great opportunity to offer these commentaries at record low prices.

Calvin's 22 Volume Hardcover Commentary Set

Receive Calvin's Commentaries at its lowest price ever. Don't miss
this opportunity to add this classic 22 volume Hard Cover set by
Reformed theologian John Calvin to your library. There are more than
20,000 pages. Combining reverence for God's word with skillful
exegesis, these commentaries are a favorite among pastors and serious
Bible students. This would be a great gift to get for missionaries,
pastors and even Sunday School teachers. Several are getting an extra
set (even if they have their own) for the Church Library!

This is a Pre-publication Sale: New Sets are Due in June 2005.
List Price $1000.00, Special Price is $97.50

Order on-line at our web site http://solid-ground-books.com
Call and order from our Toll Free Number 1-877-666-9469
No Payment is needed until the books are ready to ship in June!

That lazy Calvin! Most of the OT Historical books are not covered... and neither is Revelation! He should have spent less time reforming and more time writing! ;)

eBay generally has the same level prices ( $140~ )

Just received my set today. My wonderful Mother surprised me with it. :) I'm a CBD preferred customer and a blessed son. :D

Originally posted by polemic_turtle
eBay generally has the same level prices ( $140~ )

Just received my set today. My wonderful Mother surprised me with it. :) I'm a CBD preferred customer and a blessed son. :D

Indeed you are! God bless mothers.

i purchased the ages digital library cd-rom "volume 7: john calvin collection"... it was only 12 bucks and includes...
all 22 volumes of calvin's commentaries
the institutes (both battles and beveridge)
selected works (tracts, treatises, etc... 7 volumes)
treatise on relics
the secret providence of god
sermons on galatians
sermons on psalm 119
sermons on the deity of Christ
sermons on election and reprobation
commentary on seneca's of clemency
history of the reformation in the time of calvin (8 volumes... merle d'aubigne)
calvin and his enemies (rev thomas smyth)
the life of calvin (theodore of beza)
strong's greek dictionary
bibles

PLUS THE WORKS OF AUGUSTINE!!!

this is an insane amount of reading material for such a cheap price... i hate reading on the computer though, so unfortunately, i haven't made the best use of this resource...

Quote:

"They're doing it again. CBD selling them for 99 dollars."

Dude...I'm there!
Do you have to be a member to get that deal?
I wasn't able to take advantage of this last time around...

No worries.

Hang on, I'm sure CBD will have another sale by the end of the year or early next year.

Yeah...$129.00 is a good price for sure...but it's still not $99.00 -that's REALLY good. I'll just be patient there.

Besides...when I was scanning christianbook.com's sales items I saw Charles Hodge's 3 volume Systematic Theology (for only $25.00) so I grabbed it! I recall when I was reading the edited version of Hodge how I was wishing I had all the info on certain subjects that had been truncated.

[Edited on 6-16-2006 by SmokingFlax]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back