Calvin's Commentaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

reformedminister

Puritan Board Sophomore
How many of you read from Calvin's Commentaries? When I was still a United Methodist Minster, and before I was a Calvinist, my oppinion was that Calvin's commentaries were the best that I have ever read. Surprisingly, when I was invited to the home of a reformed minister in my area, after leaving the UMC, he didn't even have a copy!

I have them and consider them a "bedrock" set. I normaly read Calvin first. I can't imagine not using them.

Buy Calvin first, then start shopping.

I do, due to the limited resources for Chinese Christian literature. Calvin's Institutes, commentaries, short treatises are very important to the Chinese Christians. I read them all the time. I find his commentaries on Romans and Genesis are the best.

I never read them or used them to be honest. I have read his institutes and put on logos preorder the calvin 500 works with all that good stuff.

I only own the (amazing) commentaries on Daniel (2-vol, Eerdmans), Joel, Amos, and Obadiah (1-vol, Banner), but I'm always borrowing volumes from the old, dusty complete set of the library at Knox College, University of Toronto. (Sometimes I think I'm the only person who has taken them out in thirty years.) Sitting down with one of Calvin's commentaries is the perfect private Bible study with a master exegete and pastor. Always challenging (as the Word of God challenges us) and edifying.

I have them...I use them.

I haven't perused a ton of other commentaries...but in my limited useage, I've found Calvin to be the best compared to what's easily available.

I have and use them regularly. Unlike many commentators, I find him to be concise and to the point - his chapter on Romans 1 is only 30 pages, compared to MacArthur's 105. He doesn't give as much historical insight as others, but his exegesis is superb.

Most of the older commentaries that I own, or have owned, don't have as much historical information as some of the new ones. They are more exegetical and devotional, like Calvin. When I read Calvin, I also read a newer commentary, alongside it, so as to obtain some historical information that might be helpful.

I have them in a variety of electronic formats (am hoping to get a set of the Calvin 500 edition when it comes out in a few weeks) but strongly disagree with his handling of 2 & 3 John and Revelation!!! :lol: :think: :lol:

I can think of no other commentaries that have proven so durable and transgenerational in outliving their own day as Calvin. There are a few classics (Owen on Hebrews and Spurgeon on Psalms) that have endured, but none have worn so well for so long on so many books of the Bible.

I have a set and read them as well. I particulary like his sermons too. I find him to be quite warm and encouraging in them, and I almost prefer them sometimes to the commentary itself.

At first, I probably didn't believe the hype. I recall Fred Greco once wrote something to the effect of "Read Calvin first, then read Calvin. And finally, read Calvin". So I decided to take advantage of a great offer to which MarrowMan referred: "Oh, Calvin is a must. And if you wait for a sale, you can get the set for around $100. No excuses!". I value Poole and I love Hawkers NT Commentary for its devotional quality, but Fred G was right. Calvin cannot be matched. In fact, if you look closely, even Book 2 Smiley is reading Calvin. See?...:book2:

I just preordered a 500th Anniversary set of the commentaries (due out now in June) for $120 (including a matching 500th Anniversary edition of the Institutes).

I just preordered a 500th Anniversary set of the commentaries (due out now in June) for $120 (including a matching 500th Anniversary edition of the Institutes).

Thanks, Dennis! I'll watch for those in the mail.

I think it is Southern Presbyterian who knows where to get cheap books. Think it was him who led me to my low price on Hodge's systematic theology. Of course, I can't remember where I got them so WHERE IS HE? Maybe we can get Calvin's for cheap there!

I have them in a variety of electronic formats (am hoping to get a set of the Calvin 500 edition when it comes out in a few weeks) but strongly disagree with his handling of 2 & 3 John and Revelation!!! :lol: :think: :lol:

No kidding; I had to give up preaching through 1 Samuel for the same reason! :lol:

Last edited:
I own the 22 vol set, and use it a LOT. I always start with Calvin and work out from there when looking to the commentators.

-----Added 4/30/2009 at 12:44:26 EST-----

I do, due to the limited resources for Chinese Christian literature. Calvin's Institutes, commentaries, short treatises are very important to the Chinese Christians. I read them all the time. I find his commentaries on Romans and Genesis are the best.

What a great encouragement to hear that Calvin's works are held so dear to the Chinese Christians. I lived in China for 3 months when I was 21 (I had my 22nd birthday while I was there) and even though I was totally lost in darkness and sin at the time (I was not converted until I was back in Canada) there has always been a place in my heart for the chinese people.

Thanks, Dennis! I'll watch for those in the mail.

:confused: . . .

:think: . . .

:eek: . . .

:lol:

I don't believe that a omnivorous reader like you is lacking in a copy of Calvin's Commentaries.

Last edited:
I got the set a couple years ago for 99$. What a steal. I like having them in E-Sword too. Nice to be able to do word searches.

Next to the perusal of the Scriptures, which I earnestly inculcate, I exhort my pupils to peruse CALVIN's commentaries, which I extol in loftier terms than Helmich himself; for I affirm that he excels beyond comparison in the interpretation of Scripture, and that his commentaries ought to be more highly valued than all that is han+ded down to us by the Library of the Fathers; so that I acknowledge him to have possessed above most others, or rather above all other men, what may be called an eminent gift of prophecy.

Does anyone here know who wrote the above quote? Arminius did. Would that Arminians were so perceptive!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back