Calvin's Sermons on Genesis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prufrock

Arbitrary Moderation
For those yet unaware, Calvin's Sermons (different from his commentary) on Genesis (at least, the first 11 chapters) have just been published in English for the first time. Here is the cheapest I have yet seen them. This sermon series started Sept. 4, 1559; this is 5 years after his Genesis commentary was published, so this is a great opportunity for English readers for two reasons: 1.) They get to see the homiletical application of Calvin's work, in addition simply to the expanded material; and, 2.) They get to see this in conjunction with five more years in the development and maturation of Calvin's thought.

Yes, they were translated by Rob Roy MacGregor (his real name!), an ARP minister who teaches Latin and French at Clemson University. I had him sign my copy of Calvin's sermons on Acts 1-7 while I was at General Synod!

Yes, they were translated by Rob Roy MacGregor (his real name!), an ARP minister who teaches Latin and French at Clemson University. I had him sign my copy of Calvin's sermons on Acts 1-7 while I was at General Synod!

I forgot he did those too - what a blessing those sermons are/were. He's got a very nice way of rendering Calvin, so I'm looking forward to more (including that new Genesis volume!)

Yes, and he's the nicest guy in the world. Plus, he's on the "right side," if you catch my drift. And he's got just about the most Scottish name possible. Win/win/win.

Yes, and he's the nicest guy in the world. Plus, he's on the "right side," if you catch my drift. And he's got just about the most Scottish name possible. Win/win/win.

Yeah, when the Acts volume came out, I definitely had at least two reasons to buy them (one, it's new Calvin material, and two, with a name like Rob Roy McGregor, how can you go wrong?)

I ate lunch one day with him at Synod. I received a free lecture on Justification and Union w/ Christ from him with an impromptu oral exam. Quite a treat! :lol:

Calvin's sermons on Genesis are a great addition to the growing Calvin Corpus in English. They are fairly affordable at Reformation Heritage Books as well.

Rob Roy spent about 10 minutes at Synod trying to convince me into looking into a Ph.D. I told him I was too old to learn German and French. He acted as if it were no big deal. For him, I'm sure it isn't. :lol:

Probably just wanted to make sure you weren't "a cheese eatin' surrender monkey!"

You could always trot out the fact that Calvin was French, so it's okay. (not that I'd buy that defense. French dressing is sickening.)

Huguenot dressing is the best.

You mean of this variety?

huguenot.jpg

Whatever floats your boat, I guess ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back