Calvin's Sermons on Titus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logan

Puritan Board Graduate
I believe I have finished my project.

Calvin's sermons on Timothy and Titus were published in 1579 and then republished in facsimile form by Banner of Truth. Many of you have this edition. It is a bit daunting to the average reader since the spelling and typeface are so archaic, but I believe the content is still extremely readable and applicable. Even if the language is a bit outdated, the language hasn't changed so much as to be difficult to understand, especially Calvin. So I think this is something of a big deal to have this now generally available and accessible.

This is much in the same vein (I think) as the works that Chris republishes and I hope it will be useful. I am publishing a Kindle version and I hope Banner of Truth will be interested in a print version. For now, here is a demo of the first two sermons. Any feedback is certainly welcome (e.g., if I've made mistakes or neglected some copyright issue) but otherwise please enjoy the first two sermons.

Rather than tackle the entire book, I selected Titus as the shortest (with only 17 sermons). This project was started just over two weeks ago, I typed up all 17 sermons (114,000 words) and my wife helped me proofread: much of the time while also nursing our three-week old daughter so she was a real trooper.

Typeset PDF (sample)
View attachment TitusSermons.pdf

Kindle version (now available for sale):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KCYY8GQ

Last edited:
Well, better than black type. :). I think the hardest thing is proofing; you cannot do enough of it. Currently I have enough projects text typed to keep me busy for 4 or 5 years, but any project I were to start fresh, my preferred procedure is to type the text preserving all the original line breaks and page breaks. Then it becomes much easier to proof particularly for missing text, which of course is the most serious error for the integrity of the work. It is far to easy to skip a line. At least you are not coping with more than one edition by Calvin. I've had far too many projects of my few where I had to deal with collating texts; none as hard as my current project. Very tedious to do, and proofing requires reads against more than one original.

That does sound nasty. My wife is a big help: I read out loud from my copy and she follows along in the original. If I miss something (or mistyped a word) she stops me, and yes, I fell prey to a few homoioteleutons! Her interest in Shakespeare also helped a few times.

So I am confident I have all the words, the only thing that this process wouldn't catch is punctuation (besides periods and question marks). But my intention was to make a readable copy so I frequently edited the punctuation to make it flow better (this author or typographer used lots of commas and colons, which sometimes obscured the sense).

If this was to be a serious scholarly attempt, I'm sure one would spend a lot more time researching and comparing to the French. I only have 30 footnotes throughout the volume.

No copyright issues. Everything published before 1923 is permanently out of copyright. And, since 1579 is just a tad earlier than 1923, it's officially okie-dokie to republish it.

I'm aware that this is how it is in the US, not sure about nearly everywhere else. Facsimiles of public domain works are not eligible for copyright in the US either, but not sure how other countries treat facsimiles (Banner of Truth is in UK). I hadn't found anything to indicate I'm in violation anywhere, but someone may know differently :)

Looking at the example pdf this will be an excellent addition to our Calviniana. It would be good to see this in a hardcopy edition at some stage.

Great job Logan - this is a very excellent book, hindered by the facsimile. A modern text should be published.

Do you mean "modern" as in new translation?
I'm trying to open up communication with Banner of Truth regarding a printed edition.

Logan you would do the Church a great service by republishing this, I would recommend that you continue your work &
do all the pastoral epistles as well, only work at a slower pace so that you don't over tax or exasperate yourself & give up
the project.

This would be a useful & needed work in our day with all the abuses that occur in the visible church bringing much needed wisdom & direction.

If you can't get a publisher, you should consider self publishing as there are a number of small publishers around who
could help you with this, I know a person who had a commentary published by a christian publisher & he only receives
$1 for every book sold which is not a lot for all the effort he put in, thats why I recommend self publishing as the person who does the labour receives a fair & just recompense for his labour.

Logan heres a list of some publishers, you can also try Evangelical Press as there always looking for books to reprint :2cents:

Why iUniverse?, Self-Publishing Services
Self Publishing and Print on Demand Company | Xlibris Book Publishers
Self Publishing, Book Printing and Publishing Online - Lulu
https://wipfandstock.com/
https://www.google.com.au/#q=self+publishing+usa

Robert,

I have self-published (print-on-demand) several books. The problem lies in that most are not high quality (i.e., perfect-bound instead of say, smyth-sewn, unless you buy in bulk and become the seller), and the audience isn't as wide. People look at places like Banner of Truth for sermons by Calvin. They don't look for me. So to be the best quality and reach the best number of people, it seems that a publisher like Banner of Truth would be the best way to go, if they are interested. I'm not particularly concerned with royalties (and wouldn't expect much anyway), I'd just like to see these available.

I do plan on continuing with the other Timothy 1 and 2 as I have the time. Taking a few weeks' break for now.

This project was started just over two weeks ago, I typed up all 17 sermons (114,000 words) and my wife helped me proofread: much of the time while also nursing our three-week old daughter so she was a real trooper.

:wow: and congratulations; a modern reprint of these sermons would be most welcome. :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back