Campbellites and Restorationists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also grew up in the COC, and remember very clearly being taught that Billy Graham was "sending people off to hell" because he did not require converts to be immediately baptized by immersion.

Some of the various doctrines I had pounded into me:

1. We are not the only Christians, but we are Christians ONLY.

2. Baptism by immersion FOR the forgiveness of sins IS that moment at which you are forgiven of past sins. (They love Acts 2:38 and Mark 16:16)

3. Salvation is dependent upon continued obedience. (They'll cite Hebrews 6 and John 15)

4. No congregation of believers may have a non-Biblical name (i.e., Prebyterian, Baptist, etc. Church)

5. We refer to church BUILDINGS when referring to a man-made structure, never a CHURCH.

6. There are Christians, and then there are THE DENOMINATIONS.

7. We make music with our voices and our hearts (Eph. 5:19), not "unauthorized" instruments. (Note: As previously discussed in this thread, the COC largely teaches that there is a huge wall between Malachi and Matthew, and nothing in the OT may be used for authority in "New Testament" worship. Therefore instruments are out, despite David's prescription of them.)

Last of all, when I left for Basic Training in 1992, I was admonished by my elders not let them put "Protestant" on my dog tags, but to insist that they say "Church of Christ", lest I be confused with those who "practice the religions of men".

My brother went to Oklahoma Christian University, and is still a minister in the COC.

Jacob,
We could be twins. My brother is also a minister. My dog tags, however, say 'Protestant', much to the consternation of some in my family. I still remember when I was confronted about it. "Hey, I didn't punch them!"

I also grew up in the COC, and remember very clearly being taught that Billy Graham was "sending people off to hell" because he did not require converts to be immediately baptized by immersion.

Some of the various doctrines I had pounded into me:

1. We are not the only Christians, but we are Christians ONLY.

2. Baptism by immersion FOR the forgiveness of sins IS that moment at which you are forgiven of past sins. (They love Acts 2:38 and Mark 16:16)

3. Salvation is dependent upon continued obedience. (They'll cite Hebrews 6 and John 15)

4. No congregation of believers may have a non-Biblical name (i.e., Prebyterian, Baptist, etc. Church)

5. We refer to church BUILDINGS when referring to a man-made structure, never a CHURCH.

6. There are Christians, and then there are THE DENOMINATIONS.

7. We make music with our voices and our hearts (Eph. 5:19), not "unauthorized" instruments. (Note: As previously discussed in this thread, the COC largely teaches that there is a huge wall between Malachi and Matthew, and nothing in the OT may be used for authority in "New Testament" worship. Therefore instruments are out, despite David's prescription of them.)

Last of all, when I left for Basic Training in 1992, I was admonished by my elders not let them put "Protestant" on my dog tags, but to insist that they say "Church of Christ", lest I be confused with those who "practice the religions of men".

My brother went to Oklahoma Christian University, and is still a minister in the COC.

Jacob,
We could be twins. My brother is also a minister. My dog tags, however, say 'Protestant', much to the consternation of some in my family. I still remember when I was confronted about it. "Hey, I didn't punch them!"

I had mine re-done when I finally came to know Christ and His Gospel! I am now proudly a "Protestant"! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back