Can a Christian in good conscience open a pub....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldnt think it would be bad as long as they were aware of how much the customer was drinking. But I dont really care for Pubs or Bars I always feel uncomfortable about them.

blade

Originally posted by Bladestunner316
I wouldnt think it would be bad as long as they were aware of how much the customer was drinking. But I dont really care for Pubs or Bars I always feel uncomfortable about them.

blade
so how will you monitor how much the customer is drinking? One drink maximum? what about the bar as a meeting place for one night standers?

Can a Christian divorce themselves from these things and still run the bar strictly for business sakes or would he be encouraging drunkeness and adultery.

How would he be encouraging adultry??

I think there should be a minimum as long as the consumer knows where they stand there should be no problem.

I really find it hard to believe this is a serious inquiry, but I will humor the situation and assume it is. I will admit, however, that I do approach it with a great deal of credulity, for this idea lacks them most fundamental wisdom and show a acute lack of worldly savvy.

This is impiety! You are either living in a cave and have no idea about the bar/pub context in these United States and/or Europe or you have turned into a Reformed Fundamentalist. As a Reformed fundi, you have simply turned the fundamentalists argument against drinking upon its head and allowed yourself to become drunk (pun indented) on your own Christian liberty! I wonder, could I run a club where women do pole dancing and a bump and grind without taking their clothes off and just run around in bikini swimsuits just as a business venture? Hmm? NOT! You cannot even use 1 Corinthians 10:23. This does not even fall into the category of lawful much less expedient and it hardly edifies.

Warning: This is the voice of incredulity speaking"”do not take it personally

I think even from the worldly standpoint there are many different classes of bars, and there is a distinction between a bar and a nightclub.

Here is australia many restaurants and bars have signs that say they will refuse to serve alcohol to intoxicated patrons. I don't know if this is by law or voluntary or how strictly they adhere to it. ( not very i guess)

I think in theory i would be possible to open are bar in good conscience, but in practice there might be so many problems as to make it infeasible. Off course, if you stuck to your principles there is that little problem of profits to worry about as well.

[Edited on 1-18-2006 by satz]

[Edited on 1-18-2006 by satz]

Shouldn't this thread be in the Puritan Pub? Anyways, that's where you'll find this 21st century Puritan. Prost!
trink39.gif
:detective:

On a more serious note, over-serving is generally illegal. Every profession has its challenges. One might as easily ask if one could become a policeman or a doctor or a pharmacist in good conscience given the mischief that is framed by a law in our society today and the abortion rights and birth control on demand that are so prevalent. We need Christian pub-owners and bartenders. Let's return to our Puritan roots and reclaim pubs for Christ!

drinkingwithcalvin.gif

Originally posted by trevorjohnson
..but even so, can you condone what happens in most pubs? Instead of a beer or glass of wine or even two or three with a steak, the booze is the main center of attention.

Plus, how are you going to guard against people getting drunk (will your bartenders refuse sale to tipsy patrons).

Does running a pub encourage drunkenness anymore than running a restaurant would encourage gluttony? Or owning a gas station encourage speeding?

Should a Christian place a two appetizer max on their guests?

Originally posted by Michael Butterfield
I really find it hard to believe this is a serious inquiry, but I will humor the situation and assume it is. I will admit, however, that I do approach it with a great deal of credulity, for this idea lacks them most fundamental wisdom and show a acute lack of worldly savvy.

This is impiety! You are either living in a cave and have no idea about the bar/pub context in these United States and/or Europe or you have turned into a Reformed Fundamentalist. As a Reformed fundi, you have simply turned the fundamentalists argument against drinking upon its head and allowed yourself to become drunk (pun indented) on your own Christian liberty! I wonder, could I run a club where women do pole dancing and a bump and grind without taking their clothes off and just run around in bikini swimsuits just as a business venture? Hmm? NOT! You cannot even use 1 Corinthians 10:23. This does not even fall into the category of lawful much less expedient and it hardly edifies.

Warning: This is the voice of incredulity speaking"”do not take it personally

I don't know if I like the usage of "Reformed fundamentalist" here, but I think your point is well taken. I think we've probably all seen some Reformed believers, especially young ones coming from Fundy or pentecostal backgrounds go to extremes in the other direction. They go beyond liberty and into license, or becoming drunk on their "Christian liberty" as you say.

As Milton wrote:

"œNone can love freedom heartily, but good men; the rest love not freedom, but license."

Since I've been known to visit pubs, I find it difficult to say that a Christian can't own one.

I say....

we open one,
The Puritan's Pub!!!! We can all post in the puritan's pub while drinking in it as well. lol;)

Originally posted by tdowns007
we open one,
The Puritan's Pub!!!! We can all post in the puritan's pub while drinking in it as well. lol;)

This is actually a GREAT idea, in my opinion!

I know you were joking, but I am serious.

Why should we let the devil have all the pubs? Why not have a pub for Christ? Seriously!! Simply hire effective Presbyterian, Anglican, & Baptist bouncers who will throw people out if they start to get berschnickered.

Only Christ-honoring drinking related activities would be allowed.

The jukebox could be full of Christian music . . . there could even be a jukebox "Psalter only" night for the EP drinking crowd.

:amen:

Originally posted by crhoades
It would be a sin to serve cheap beer.

I would agree. However . . .

Scripture says that we are supposed to take care of widows, orphans, and the poor. . . .

But personally, I vote for a good German beer, a Sam Adams, or ANY wheat beer!

:banana:

Originally posted by trevorjohnson
A little harsh Michael. It is not quite impiety I do not think.

Could you run a restaurant that also serves alcohol? Say a Lonestar steakhouse? People drink there and our liberty would allow us to own and manage one I believe. Many places are called pub and grille or steakhouse and saloon. These things are not impiety. Apub is further down this continuum.

Apples and Oranges. Any good thinking individual will know the difference between a Lonestar Steakhouse and a pub/bar. You are parsing words and not really dealing with the issue In my humble opinion. I always love the way there is an attempt to tone the extreme with the norms and though A equaled B. You and I have both eaten in a Lonestar type of establishment and possibly drank a good beer with a slab of red meat, but to compare that to a bar is mixing apples and oranges.

Michael,

Who says a Christian has to run a pub just like everyone else?

Why not open a Christian-owned pub, with Christian-based rules? Simply DON'T ALLOW drunkenness, half-naked women, lude music, etc.

Enforce the correct rules, and I think you could create an excellent Christian pub that would honor the Lord!

there is this pub in Monroe, Enoch's, and they don't have naked girls or excessive drinking (too expensive). It is Irish. Granted, other pubs could be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back