Can Anyone Compare The Book Of Psalms For Worship Against The New Trinity Psalter Hymnal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Username3000

Has anyone used both the Book Of Psalms For Worship and the New Trinity Psalter Hymnal?

I’m curious how the psalters compare.

Thank you!

A large amount of source material for the new TPH comes from the BPW. I've noticed in some places they change some less traditional translations in the BPW (like in Psalm 8). The TPH uses a lot more Genevan tunes though and includes many new translations.

Has anyone used both the Book Of Psalms For Worship and the New Trinity Psalter Hymnal?

I’m curious how the psalters compare.

Thank you!
1. Trinity Psalter Hymnal:

Here is a rather Strange (;)) review of the Trinity Psalter Hymnal:

2. C&Cs The Book of Psalms for Worship

Online Description of the Book of Psalms for Worship:

"This American psalter offers many familiar tunes and new arrangements with language that is easily understood by the 21st century Christian, while remaining faithful to the Hebrew text. Contains all 150 Psalms in over 440 selections in multiple arrangements. Settings include traditional tunes, original tunes, and familiar hymn tunes. Translated from the original language into modern English meter for singing. Features 4-part music for each selection for singing. Also includes introductory essays on the practice and history of psalm singing and several indices." and here (4min mark):

And a nice post from @Logan here:
https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/book-of-psalms-for-worship-a-review.80887/

:detective:

Last edited:
Thank you. I’ll check these out tonight, Lord Willing.

A large amount of source material for the new TPH comes from the BPW. I've noticed in some places they change some less traditional translations in the BPW (like in Psalm 8). The TPH uses a lot more Genevan tunes though and includes many new translations.
Which is easier to sing, generally, do you think?

The BPW has a good app and recordings—wouldnthe lack of these things make the TPH harder to use for beginners?

The BPW has a good app and recordings—wouldnthe lack of these things make the TPH harder to use for beginners?

Musically, the easiest Psalter is the Scottish Metrical Psalter because every Psalm has a version that can be sung to a common meter tune. The trade off is that it is an older language, so for some what it gains in musical ease it loses in syntax/vocabulary difficulties.

I'm less familiar with the TPH, but the BPW has some pretty complex tunes. The app certainly helps. However, you can use hymnary.org and find MIDI files for most of the tunes in the TPH. It takes a little practice, but find the hymn/Psalm, click the tune, then the majority have a midi link: https://hymnary.org/hymnal/TPH2018

I telephoned the OPC/publisher and spoke with someone months ago asking about software accompaniment, and they said they are working on it and hope to finish by the end of the year if I remember correctly.

We use the Trinity Psalter. I get to pick the Psalms and the tunes. Often I'll choose a different tune of whatever meter is specified, if I think our group would sing it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back