Cannibalism and Scripture

Status
Not open for further replies.

AThornquist

Puritan Board Doctor
What does scripture have to say about Cannibalism?

*Mod note: Thread has been substantially edited, and much deleted. If anyone is bothered by how I have edited your posts, please send me a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it is sinful because man was never given to man for food: plants and animals were. In addition, assuming the only people to be consumed were those who died without the consumer's intervention, it would be a violation of the 5th Commandment, inasmuch as it would be a failure to respect the image of God in which those people were created.

I was wondering how much of our recoiling was based on scripture and how much on culture.

I have been thinking about cannibalism for a little while and I don't see any Scripture prohibition to eating the dead. This whole topic has really caused a hunger in me (for the truth ;) ), so do any of you have insights into whether it's a sin or not?

Personally, I like trying new and interesting things and would be open to eating human if it's not a sinful thing to do. (Where to start - white or dark meat?)

And since we are on the topic of food, I would enjoy having any of y'all over for dinner at some point. :D But anyway, to the question . . .

Since this is not posted in the entertainment forum, and I think I perceive a humorous introduction to a serious question, here goes with a serious answer.

I think the fact that the body belongs to a person who will be raised either to death or life but who was created in the image of God just as you were militates against the practice. Dead bodies aren't just items to be dumped in trash heaps or processed into whatever we can at an industrial factory. God certainly can and will raise completely immolated or decayed bodies---or in this case, eaten ones---but that doesn't mean honoring the body is consistent with eating a body. In fact, I'd argue that there's something uniquely ghastly about an image bearer eating a fellow image bearer.

Also, there's something uniquely accursed and repulsive in both Old and New Testaments about the scavengers picking apart human remains after a battle or plague. I think there's meant to be a healthy horror at such a destruction of the body. Certianly one who sins in this regard, be he a headhunter or desperately lost and starving traveler in the middle of nowhere whose companion dies, can certainly be forgiven, but such practices should be abhorred.

That's my :2cents:

For the moral issue of cannibalism to arise in your experience, you'd be talking about an extreme and unlikely situation, which you hopefully will never face.

Cannibalism is at least mentioned in Lamentations 2:20 and II Kings 6:26-30. I don't know if it is mentioned elsewhere in Scripture. It is viewed by Jeremiah, God's prophet, as horrific/repugnant even in extremis.

Josephus also mentions it in connection with the destruction of Jerusalem.

I find the joking about cannibalism that has resulted from these vile films about "Hannibal Lector", even jokes sometimes made by young Christian people, at best, disturbing, and another simple example of how bad communications (media, in this case the movies and trashy novels) corrupt good morals, even among the Covenant People.

Cannibalism was also a judgment from God on the Israelites. It was a sign of their lowest point in the OT. The whole thought just makes me shudder.

Concerning the issue of image-bearing, I agree that it is important. I'm not quite sure how that comes into the equation though if the person is dead. Of course it would be wrong to go around killing people because Scripture speaks plainly to that end, though to this particular issue I need to infer some things (which I think some of posters made clear).

The person may have died, but they are still a person; their body is resting, waiting to be reunited with the soul which is in the presence of God. Whether quick or dead, man is created in the image of God and is to be honored and respected. The fact that certain cultures have been given over to such perversities is only a sign of how depraved and corrupt man can become without the grace of God.

Concerning the issue of image-bearing, I agree that it is important. I'm not quite sure how that comes into the equation though if the person is dead.

Please read 1 Corinthians 15 for the cardinal Christian doctrine of the physical resurrection of the dead. Verse 49 makes it apparent that image-bearing refers to the whole man, body and soul, and not simply to the soul of man.

Good insights. Thanks, all! :) I'm sure this has been asked before but it is quite relevant: what about those saints who were burned at the stake and such? Ought we simply expect them to be put back together?

The frightening thing is how much like cannibals we can be:

Gal. 5
14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 15 But if you bite and devour one another, beware lest you be consumed by one another!

I believe there might be cannibalism in hell.

It is the lowest point that human societies can get too.

Plus, Scripture often talks of the gnashing of the teeth. This is not the gnashing of one's own teeth in pain, but the gnashing of one person upon another. By speech in this life, and maybe literally in the next, hell being the gathering of the unregenerate with all grace removed.

As far as Peruvian soccer teams, or the Dinner...err. Donner party, I am not sure if it is sinful or not to eat already-dead human flesh if one is starving.

Plus, Scripture often talks of the gnashing of the teeth. This is not the gnashing of one's own teeth in pain, but the gnashing of one person upon another. By speech in this life, and maybe literally in the next, hell being the gathering of the unregenerate with all grace removed.

Whoa! I've never considered that before. :think:

I believe there might be cannibalism in hell.

It is the lowest point that human societies can get too.

Plus, Scripture often talks of the gnashing of the teeth. This is not the gnashing of one's own teeth in pain, but the gnashing of one person upon another.

"Gnashing of teeth" is figurative language depicting personal torment . . . there is no basis for claiming it describes tribal cannibalism in hell!

Taking such gross and imaginative license with Scripure is not to be encouraged, in my opinion.

Might this horrid and ungodly subject just be put aside? It edifies no one . . .

Ronda:

Not sure why this doctrine is any more horrible than hell itself.

Also, check out all the references to gnashing of the teeth. It is not grinding own's own teeth in pain, but it is the action of the wicked towards others.

15But in mine adversity they rejoiced, and gathered themselves together: yea, the abjects gathered themselves together against me, and I knew it not; they did tear me, and ceased not:

16With hypocritical mockers in feasts, they gnashed upon me with their teeth.

17Lord, how long wilt thou look on? rescue my soul from their destructions, my darling from the lions.

Psalm 35

Cannibalism has been known to almost every human culture. It is a fit subject to discuss.

Pergamum, I've never heard that before. Do you have any resources that talk about this?(an article, a commentary etc) I'd be interested to learn more.

Acts 7:54 (King James Version)

54 When they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed on him with their teeth.

I think what I'd really be interested to read is why it is translated that way. Can you recommend a commentary that talks about it. (I can look it up myself too, but if one immediately comes to mind, do pass it along)

I think I cross posted and didn't see your post to Rhonda. Don't worry, I'll look it up at work tomorrow. We have a couple commentaries.

Kathleen:

There is no proof. Only this line of thought.

Cannibalism is often considered the lowest point in which a human society can sink. Scripture describes the gnashing of the teeth often as the action that the wicked take towards others. In hell, there is said to be the gnashing of the teeth. This gnashing is not personal torment but seems to usually mean the gnawing in anger of one person upon another.

In hell, all common grace will be removed and men's hatred will be fully evident. The wicked would not mourn together or comfort one another in their torment, but would blame relatives and others for their fate it would seem as they suffered.

Gnashing of the teeth: Seems to occur 14 times if I am correct, and this phrase is most evident from the KJV.

Some occurrences (besides the known outer darkness passages in the Gospels) include:

Job 16:9
Psalm 35:16
Psalm 37:12
Psalm 112:10
Luke 13:28
Mark 9:18

..Seeming to give weight to the idea that we ought to primarily think of gnashing of the teeth as anger or vicious hate coming from the mouth of wicked people.

So, hell is a place where this angry gnashing continues.

---------- Post added at 01:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 AM ----------

If the wicked, restrained by common grace, have frequently resorted to literal cannibalism in this world, I believe that it is a possibility in the next.

---------- Post added at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

Here is a summary of this possibility I wrote a few years ago:

ON THE DAMNED’S GNASHING OF THEIR TEETH:

One terrifying aspect of hell is this: the weeping and the gnashing of teeth. Though terrifying enough as it is, this is not merely the clenching of one’s own teeth in pain or remorse. It is also illustrative of the actions of the still unregenerate nature of the damned in hell.

Many interpret this phrase, “weeping and gnashing of teeth” to refer to the pain of remorse and regret. This is an assumption. Others state that this refers primarily to the pain of hell. There may be truth in this.

The Biblical usage, however, of this imagery is one primarily of anger and seething hatred. It is never used to describe anyone but the wicked and, while it does signify sorrow and pain at times, the prevailing theme seems to be one of rage and enmity.

As a cottonmouth snake may foam and bite when stirred, so the picture of the wicked seems similar. In short, those in hell are hellish.

Lamentations 2:16:
All thine enemies have opened their mouth against thee: they hiss and gnash the teeth: they say, We have swallowed her up: certainly this is the day that we looked for; we have found, we have seen it.

Job 16:9:
He teareth me in his wrath, who hateth me: he gnasheth upon me with his teeth; mine enemy sharpeneth his eyes upon me.

Psalm 35:16:
With hypocritical mockers in feasts, they gnashed upon me with their teeth.

Psalm 37:12:
The wicked plotteth against the just, and gnasheth upon him with his teeth.

Psalm 112:10:
The wicked shall see it, and be grieved; he shall gnash with his teeth, and melt away: the desire of the wicked shall perish.

Matthew 24:51:
And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Mark 9:18:
And wheresoever he taketh him, he teareth him: and he foameth, and gnasheth with his teeth, and pineth away: and I spake to thy disciples that they should cast him out; and they could not.

Acts 7:54-55, Stephen:

54 When they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed on him with their teeth.

55 But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God,

Spurgeon illustrates this as follows:

What is it that the lost are doing? They are "weeping and gnashing their teeth." Do you gnash you teeth now? You would not do it except you were in pain and agony. Well, in hell there is always gnashing of teeth. And do you know why? There is one gnashing his teeth at his companion, and mutters, "I was led into hell by you; you led me astray, you taught me to drink the first time." And the other gnashes his teeth and says, "What if I did? You made me worse than I should have been in after times." There is a child who looks at her mother, and says, "Mother, you trained me up to vice." And the mother gnashes her teeth again at the child, and says, "I have no pity for you, for you excelled me in it, and led me into deeper sin." Fathers gnash their teeth at their sons, and sons at their fathers. And, methinks, if there are any who will have to gnash their teeth more than others, it will be seducers, when they see those whom they have led from the paths of virtue, and hear them saying, "Ah! we are glad you are in hell with us, you deserve it, for you led us here.

An Objection:

But the above interpretation of this “gnashing of teeth” would mean that the wicked have no concern for one another at all in hell. Luke 16:19-21 seems to contradict this. What about the rich man who sought to prevent his brothers from entering hell?

A Reply:

But for what reason did the rich man attempt to warn his brothers? The Rich Man sought his brothers, not for their sake, but for his own. As one ember heats another, the souls in hell will contribute to one another’s misery.

John Bunyan:

I do believe there is scarce so much love in any of the damned in hell as really to desire the salvation of any. But in that there is any desire in them that are damned, that their friends and relations should not come into that place of torment, it appears to me to be rather for their own ease than for their neighbour's good.

Application to this life:

The wicked gnash their teeth at God and one another in the next life. They do the same, however, in this life.

The actions of the mouth display the tendency of the soul. All the more reason to restrain one’s tongue in this life.

Wow, Ronda, your over-scrupulousness is almost humorous.

Hell is pretty sick and depressing. Crucifixion is pretty sick, too. Martyrdom is not real nice either. And the PB even has forums for cigars and beer, two things that sort of smell sick sometimes.

Not sure why you are picking out cannibalism as a topic not worthy of discussion - this was a human practice in almost all parts of the world at one time and has deep religious implications and has had deep implications regarding missionary work.

This is a SICK thread, allowed without any Scriptural basis.

Somebody should stop all discussion . . . NOW . . .

I admit that this is a pretty bizarre thread. You are under no compulsion to read it. I think that we are establishing that cannibalism is anti scriptural. What is sad is that we have to prove that cannibalism is wrong. It should be taken for granted.
At the very least cannibalism is a failure to love one's neighbor as one's self. Doing unto others as you would have done to you is a moral principle that should be recognized regardless of one's view of the authority of scripture.

I think its important to to show from Scripture why a certain action is sinful. While visceral actions are often indicative that an action is sin, I think its dangerous to rely on them. I think we're seeing this especially with homosexuality. As our culture has become desensitized to homosexual acts, those who thought homosexuality was wrong "because its gross," have largely become convinced that there's nothing wrong with it. The don't experience the visceral reaction, so they don't recognize it as sin. Its important to have a strong Scriptural foundation on these matters, so even if you do become desensitized (which is somewhat inevitable in our culture no matter how hard you try) , you can still recognize that a practice is wrong.

Pergamum, I don't think the gnashing with the teeth means they actually chewed them. Stephen, after all, was stoned -not bitten- to death. People gnash their teeth in rage: that rage is directed to someone else. While God and His people are the objects of such intense rage that people can't stop themselves from furious behaviour, we don't have to conclude that the teeth are the actual weapons of that fury.

When cannibalism clearly comes up in Scripture, it's in the context of famine: it shows what desperation drives people to do.

Ruben, That is why I have not put this forward as a definite thesis. My main point is that gnashing of the teeth is violent speech one towards another and is not personal pain. If it can get bad on earth, how much worse will it be in hell? That, admittedly, is speculative, but I am not rulng anything out.

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

P.s. in the history of cannibalism, desperation is a minority cause among many, though this aspect seems to be the main stress of Scripture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back