Carl Trueman's theology

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephenMartyr

Puritan Board Freshman
CT was for many years professor at Westminster TS (east). In the last few years, he went to Grove City College to teach undergrads. He is a minister in the OPC.

I think very highly of CT. He brings an "English/Scottish Presbyterian" perspective to our American/N.A. scene, in a way I think parallels John Murray's and Sinclair Ferguson's influence. during the previous century. He is also an important thinker who is trying to help today's church understand the ideas and trends that seemingly have produced recent and unprecedented changes in the surrounding western culture.

But there are no "overnight" changes to a culture. That is a myth, and dangerous. The triumph of the strand of philosophy and ethics driving the West into a storm of chaos, with a fundamental belief in the "imperative of change" (which some persons hope to rope and ride to future dominance and everlasting memory) is an unveiling of the outcome of decades of shifting, bit by bit, while the facade of stability held firm.

CT's analysis is his attempt to make sense of how the culture, and the church existing within it's temporal ambit, has come to this place; and what being here and the present trend may bode for the future.

Steve Hays from Triablogue would interact with CT from time to time. This is neither an endorsement nor a criticism. I just know that Steve was well respected by some here at the PB.
Never been a fan of him. He always seems angry about something. In my mind, his face is stuck in a perpetual scowl.

To the OP (I'm so easily distracted), I look forward to reading the book. Although I've already read enough of Trueman's articles on First Things and elsewhere that I have a pretty good idea what he's going to say.

Last edited:
Never been a fan of him. He always seems angry about something. In my mind, his face is stuck in a perpetual scowl.

I was only addressing the OP, “What's his theology like?” As Reformed believers we are concerned with faith and practice, which leads to the application of theological precepts. Steve thought at the presuppositional level as well as with respect to trajectory.

Steve was a friend. He might not have always been gentle but I never knew him not to be challenging. I think he challenged Dr. T in a manner worthy of consideration. Nuff said.

Last edited:
I was only addressing the OP, “What's his theology like?” As Reformed believers we are concerned with faith and practice, which leads to the application of theological precepts.

Steve was a friend. He might not have always been gentle but I never knew him not to be challenging. I think he challenged Dr. T in a manner worthy of consideration. Nuff said.
Was a friend? Is he gone?

If you never knew him not to be challenging, all the more pity he couldn't communicate in a tone that invited more readership. I used to subscribe to Triablogue, back in RSS-feeder days, but got tired of the tone. It was a drain on my day. (Related reason I stopped listening to The Briefing, incidentally. I'm no eternal optimist, but.. really. Listening to a constant stream of that kind of stuff can't be good for you.)

Was a friend? Is he gone?

If you never knew him not to be challenging, all the more pity he couldn't communicate in a tone that invited more readership. I used to subscribe to Triablogue, back in RSS-feeder days, but got tired of the tone. It was a drain on my day. (Related reason I stopped listening to The Briefing, incidentally. I'm no eternal optimist, but.. really. Listening to a constant stream of that kind of stuff can't be good for you.)

“If you never knew him not to be challenging, all the more pity he couldn't communicate in a tone that invited more readership.”

Brother, if I were to say about Jones, “I never knew him not to be kind,” would that suggest that I never knew Jones not to balance his checkbook? Balancing a checkbook is not about kindness. My remark pertained to Steve’s blog. He took a calculated risk on how he presented himself. As a general rule he challenged his readers to think. Read his comments on CT if you wish to be challenged on CT.

“If you never knew him not to be challenging, all the more pity he couldn't communicate in a tone that invited more readership.”

Brother, if I were to say about Jones, “I never knew him not to be kind,” would that suggest that I never knew Jones not to balance his checkbook? Balancing a checkbook is not about kindness. My remark pertained to Steve’s blog. As a general rule he challenged his readers to think. Read his comments on CT if you wish to be challenged on CT.H
Hmm... I see my comment, and I see your response.

What's missing is a connection between the two.

Really? Feel free to elaborate. I’m merely sticking to what’s relevant but perhaps you have issues with Steve.
Hardly.

I granted you that his blog may have been challenging, but that he likely lost readership (I doubt I was the only one) through his tone and what I perceived to be a constant belligerence. I said if you found his stuff edifying, it was a pity he wasn't able to enjoy and keep a broader readership (like me, in this case).

It was a pretty neutral statement, as things go.

Hardly.

I granted you that his blog may have been challenging, but that he likely lost readership (I doubt I was the only one) through his tone and what I perceived to be a constant belligerence. I said if you found his stuff edifying, it was a pity he wasn't able to enjoy and keep a broader readership (like me, in this case).

It was a pretty neutral statement, as things go.

Steve might’ve gone deeper in untangling this obfuscation but I’m unwilling.

Blessings to you.

Carl Trueman was interviewed on his new book by the guys at the Reformed Forum https://reformedforum.org/podcasts/ctc670/

Camden Bucey sent the following to people subscribed to Reformed Forum:

Dr. Carl R. Trueman joined me to speak about his significant new book, The Rise and Triumph of the Modern Self: Cultural Amnesia, Expressive Individualism, and the Road to Sexual Revolution (Crossway), in which he addresses the factors undergirding modern culture’s obsession with identity. This is perhaps the most significant book I have read in the last few years.

chris, I highly recommend that you read the book in order to understand the cultural and philosophical influences that have given rise to our present moment.

Sexual identity in particular has dominated public discourse since the landmark Obergefell v. Hodges Supreme Court decision in 2015. Tracing influential thought from Augustine to Marx and beyond, Trueman explains the historical and intellectual phenomenon of the modern conception selfhood. Trueman writes,

My aim is to explain how and why a certain notion of the self has come to dominate the culture of the West, why this self finds its most obvious manifestation in the transformation of sexual mores, and what the wider implications of this transformation are and may well be in the future.
Dr. Trueman is professor of biblical and religious studies at Grove City College. He is an esteemed church historian and previously served as the William E. Simon Fellow in Religion and Public Life at Princeton University. Trueman has authored or edited more than a dozen books, including The Creedal Imperative, Luther on the Christian Life, and Histories and Fallacies.

I stopped reading Triablogue regularly years ago, mainly because it simply got to be too much to keep up with.

It is interesting that Trueman is still a contributor to First Things, which otherwise seems to completely gone off the rails, repudiating the vision of its founder in favor of integralism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Reformed Forum Podcast had him on as a guest to talk about hits book recently. After listening to it I decided to get the book. Its in shipment too my house now. Haven't read it but I am sure it would be good based upon what I heard in the podcast.

Reformed Forum - Carl Truman

I've always benefited from reading and listening to Dr. Trueman. He's had a very positive influence on me over the years as a believer and also as a student of history.

I noticed that Public Discourse ran two articles by Trueman this week which seem to deal with the themes of his upcoming book, so these would probably give you a taste of his argument. I thought both were excellent. (I'm only posting the link for the first, because there's a 2nd Commandment violation on the second post -- which I'm confident was the blog editor's doing and not CT's -- and couldn't figure out how to post the link without the thumbnail image popping up right here. But you can easily find the second article, "The Impact of Psychological Man," on the PD homepage.)

I love Trueman. He’s not bogged down by American politics but he has always taken hard stands on contemporary threats to sound doctrine, reformed confessions and church practice. Overall, he’s gospel and theology focused and is an excellent historian from this layman’s perspective. I need mature men like him in my life because in various ways I am and will always be a recovering legalist. It’s been my burden to bear unfortunately. (I’ve also been blessed to sit under two of the most mature, grounded and theologically faithful pastors over the past 6 years. So I’m truly blessed in this regard).

Camden Bucey sent the following to people subscribed to Reformed Forum:

Dr. Carl R. Trueman joined me to speak about his significant new book, The Rise and Triumph of the Modern Self: Cultural Amnesia, Expressive Individualism, and the Road to Sexual Revolution (Crossway), in which he addresses the factors undergirding modern culture’s obsession with identity. This is perhaps the most significant book I have read in the last few years.

chris, I highly recommend that you read the book in order to understand the cultural and philosophical influences that have given rise to our present moment.

Sexual identity in particular has dominated public discourse since the landmark Obergefell v. Hodges Supreme Court decision in 2015. Tracing influential thought from Augustine to Marx and beyond, Trueman explains the historical and intellectual phenomenon of the modern conception selfhood. Trueman writes,

Dr. Trueman is professor of biblical and religious studies at Grove City College. He is an esteemed church historian and previously served as the William E. Simon Fellow in Religion and Public Life at Princeton University. Trueman has authored or edited more than a dozen books, including The Creedal Imperative, Luther on the Christian Life, and Histories and Fallacies.
Thanks! I have to get this book!

I bought the book on crossway using their + members deal. Got a hard copy, ebook and audio book for like $20 or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if this is the right forum for this, so if you want to move it, go ahead.

Just wondering what people here think of Carl Trueman. What's his theology like? I ask because this book below seems interesting:

What would one expect from him?

Thanks!

Any good in him can be found elsewhere. There's a lot to worry about. He has a reputation as a conservative Reformed guy but this is not earned. He is certainly within the broad Reformed camp, but middle of the road. On any controversial issue within Reformed circles- worship, xmas, halloween for example- I've never heard him take the minority position (i.e. the older Reformed view). He sets himself up as a cantankerous critic of modernity, but he has embraced every innovation within the Reformed camp. And he bears a lot of the responsibility for elevating Aimee Byrd to prominence. I'd stay clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back