Casual census of translations you use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polanus1561

Puritan Board Junior
KJV - church use and it’s my main most of the time for ministry
Esv - for easier reading of large chunks
NASB - for different renderings, when I want to estimate the underlying biblical language underneath
csb - recently used, more literal than the nlt. Dynamic equivalence choice.

I use the NKJV for personal study, and family reading/devotions.

Other than that I have a great appreciation for the KJV and ESV.

NKJV - primary. (Previously ESV before TR)
KJV & ESV - For comparison in study - NKJV reads easier.
CSB - for an additional opinion.
Geneva - Deep in study

I was reading NKJV for a bit, but I’m back on the ESV train. I use the ESV for basically everything. In addition to my switch back to a more critical text position, I have come to feel the ESV is noticeably more readable without sacrificing much in the way of accuracy/detail.

I do check notes in the NKJV occasionally, and I also have an NET which I consult when studying in order to get an alternative translation, and for the notes.

Here's what my translation rotation looks like...

Primary use:

ESV - Primary translation at Church; primary translation for 1st pass through of my Bible reading plan (use a reader without verses or references)
KJV - Personal preference for Bible study and devotional reading; secondary translation for 2nd pass through of my Bible reading plan
NIV - Occasional use for casual reading; use for 3rd pass through of my Bible reading plan

---

Honorable mentions:

NKJV - formerly was the primary translation I used for Bible lessons with my kids; mostly sitting on the bench these days
NLT - on rare occasion when I want to sit and read for a long stretch I'll grab my old Schuyler
NRSV - I own a Cambridge edition with the Apocrypha that gets read on occasion; mostly sitting on the bench these days
CSB - I own a Ancient Faith edition that I occasionally pick up to read Early Church commentary
RSV - I own a copy of an edition printed in the 70s, but rarely read from it today

---

Not used:

NASB - I don't own a Bible in this translation and only very rarely use it electronically to compare against the KJV in SwordSearcher9.
LSB - I don't own a Bible in this translation and have no plans to purchase one.

Last edited:
My church uses the ESV. I generally use it when teaching sunday school as primary and if I'm asked to read Scripture during worship. I don't know that I would use the ESV regularly if my church did not use it.

For my daily devotional reading (generally large portions) I generally use the NIV84 but I've started using the CSB as well.

For study, I tend to go for my NASB95 or NKJV, as well as my NET Bible for the notes. For a while I was using my NET Bible for devotions but even though I love the notes, I don't love a lot of its final choices.

Others I use with some frequency: NVI (my favorite Spanish translation. I try to mix in some use of this to keep my Spanish sharp); NLT (as close to a paraphrase as I'll ever get); KJV (still like to reference it sometimes and especially appreciate its renderings of poetry).

My church uses ESV, and the publishers I most often work with all prefer ESV as well. So ESV has become my default choice even for most of my personal study. When our kids were young, we used NIV 1984 for family devotions, but that's a while ago now.

Just Two right now ESV & either the 1560 or 1599 Geneva Bible seems like a good batch to read .............

Greek and Hebrew. I find them be much more literal than other translations.
I actually do primary read the New Testament in Greek. I have a Greek Orthodox bible, which is comparable textually to other received text bibles. My Hebrew is not there yet though.

For English, I use the KJV almost exclusively. When I want to get the fuller sense of a text, I use the original languages.

Same as Tyler. KJV exclusively, sometimes I read the Metrical version of the Psalms.

ESV for church and has become my default (and is my current read-through)
NKJV “if I had my druthers”
LSB for word-for-word purposes
NRSV89 for enjoying reading
NIV84 & BSB for regular comparison
Others “as I feel like”

KJV 95% of the time. I'll dip into the NKJV for the other 5% just for a change and to see how they rendered certain passages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back